Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 165000 KM general advice from New User

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

165000 KM general advice from New User

Hi,
    I am new here, owner of a manual transmission 2015 mirage. I just wanted to say that this post helped me save some money and fix the low fuel injector circuit problem:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...rrosion)/page5

My car is now at 165000 KM. I wanted to ask if there is anything I should attend to proactively for my car based on other people's experience here. Thanks once again!

Regards,
    littlemoule

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I recommend getting a FSM (Factory Service Manual) and reading it. Keep up with routine maintenance, and look under the car for signs of rust developing. Rust can develop swiftly on both axle bodies. removing rust, undercoating and painting with metal protection paint is a PITA, but worth it in the long run. The cavities should be cavity waxed every five years or so, and the car sprayed clean underneath a few times each year. There are a few posts about rust and rust-prevention in this forum. Happy reading.

Welcome, littlemoule!

Glad to hear the forum has helped you. Have you had your Mirage since new?

foama is correct - but I don't know of anyone who does cavity waxing around here. Perhaps a Euro thing? Bikini waxing, maybe!

But 100%, absolutely, definitely, unquestionably you should get regular anti-corrosion treatments (eg. Krown), unless you happen to live on the west coast.

Rust is going to kill thousands of Canadian Mirages well before they are mechanically worn out. The metal is very thin, and not well protected from the factory.

See:
    Thread: This is where your Mirage is going to rust out. (Body/chassis corrosion)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Bikini wax now thats funny. Both very thoughtful and cute responses nice community. Ok I will get Krown rust protection hopefully that will slow it down a bit. Yes I am in the east coast.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    One question, the transmission oil has never been changed and since I am now at 165K, and its a manual transmission, does it make sense to change it or am I better off spending that money on Krown?

If it's one or the other, I'd spend money on the rust prevention.

But if it were a CVT Mirage, it would be the opposite advice. (Well, it would be BOTH, really.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ok Awesome. Rust Protection it is. Yep its a manual not a CVT. So I'll go with the rust protection, I will worry about the transmission oil when it hits 200K. Thanks for the advice <3

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    MT oilchange is easy, there is a thread in the forum. Make sure to use only the correct stuff: 70W80 GL4 fully synthetic. Do not use GL5!

Cavity waxing is easy and cheap with rattle can wax, especially with a long tube-like nose as the nozzle. Make sure to have a good look how and where to access cavities. The seams inside doors are also worth spraying with cavity wax, the rest of the doors is unimportant. Cheap and easy, but take your time to do it thoroughly meaning properly.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-29-2023),mohammad (04-29-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    If you have the mechanical ability to do an oil change, you can handle a manual transmission fluid change. It only requires 1.7 quarts of fluid...and there's no filter involved. So if you are doing it yourself, it's not a terribly expensive job. Quality manual transmission fluid does seem to run about $20/quart.

Read THIS post to get a quick idea what is involved in doing this job.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-30-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thank you so much. Kinda lacking even the basic tools due to the recent move and new apartment so I think I’ll get around to MT oil change at 200k. And make rust protection a priority. (Unless there are several disagreements). I used to be very tool inclined but due to some recent health/anxiety just not feeling competent to tackle this on my own (without a friend). Thank you all.