Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pads and Rotors - Still Squeaking

Country
    United States
    Thanks

New Pads and Rotors - Still Squeaking

Hello guys. So, after a coast to coast trip my front brakes started squeaking. Took a look at the pads - still about half life, no uneven wearing, nothing eye catching. Rotors surface looked fine. Cleaned and lubed the pads guides and caliper pins. Still squeaking as before.

Whatever, bough new pads. No change, even after a few dozen miles.

Ok, they win; put new rotors today and braked about 20 times around the neighborhood - even more squeaking!

It happens almost every time while braking normally or hard at 25-40 mph and above. But there's no noise if I brake softly. As the speed drops to about 15 mph the noise stops. I had my girlfriend drive while I listened from the passenger seat and both brakes seem to be making the same noise.

Other than keeping throwing parts it it blindly I'm baffled as to how make them shut up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    "Please inform the customer that the carbon ceramic brake system’s functional noises (squealing/honking), are a known characteristic for this type of material, and are only a small trade-off for the improved braking performance. These functional noises have no effect on the performance, operational reliability and durability of the brakes."
    Quote taken from: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...52664-9999.pdf
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Coat the backs of the pads with high-temp silicone. Noise gone.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Coat the backs of the pads with high-temp silicone. Noise gone.
    Did that too, even with the anti-noise shims. I guess I'll try with a thicker layer. Or get metallic pads instead.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Are you positive the noise is coming from the front? Did you install the wear indicators on the new pads, if so maybe toss them away? Do the clips that the pads ride on fit the caliper bracket tightly? Maybe put a light coat of brake lube on both sides of the clips(bracket and pad sides).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fummins, positive the noise is coming from the front. The pads are tight on the brackets too. But I'll try taking the wear indicators off and lubing both sides of the clips (the pad side is already lubed).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fixed! Finally had time and desire today get to this again. What I did:

• Cleaned the front brakes (again) and greased any and all contact surfaces where was it reasonable to do, including the pins. Notably, greased where the clips seat on the caliper support. Thanks to fummies for the suggestion. These pads and even the clips came with an anti-squeak layer though.
    • One of the pin rubber bushings looked a bit beaten up. Replaced it.
    • Drove around. Squeaking was gone 70% and the source still seemed to be the front. Umm, interesting.
    • Cleaned and lubed rear brakes. I replaced the shoes a year ago, so they are still new. The drums are fine too. But there was lots of dusty debris. Cleaned and lubed everything as per the manual.
    • Went for another ride. Noise gone!

Still have to drive for a few days to believe it completely. But likely this was one of those times where more than one thing is getting you while you focus on only one. I guess the noise was coming from both the front and back.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to R01k For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-23-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think my issue is just dirt. I have 40,000 miles on my 17 and it's mostly hiway. I can't see my brakes being gone just yet.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    Fixed! Finally had time and desire today get to this again. What I did:

• Cleaned the front brakes (again) and greased any and all contact surfaces where was it reasonable to do, including the pins. Notably, greased where the clips seat on the caliper support. Thanks to fummies for the suggestion. These pads and even the clips came with an anti-squeak layer though.
    • One of the pin rubber bushings looked a bit beaten up. Replaced it.
    • Drove around. Squeaking was gone 70% and the source still seemed to be the front. Umm, interesting.
    • Cleaned and lubed rear brakes. I replaced the shoes a year ago, so they are still new. The drums are fine too. But there was lots of dusty debris. Cleaned and lubed everything as per the manual.
    • Went for another ride. Noise gone!

Still have to drive for a few days to believe it completely. But likely this was one of those times where more than one thing is getting you while you focus on only one. I guess the noise was coming from both the front and back.
    I've got to do the same to my rh rear now. My rear brakes were squealing when coming to a normal stop. I pulled the left drum off and found the cable was a little sticky. Cleaned it out and noise was gone until I used the e-brake again...(forgot to not use it). Now the rh rear is noisy almost every time I stop. I replaced the shoes and drums in the fall.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I've got to do the same to my rh rear now. My rear brakes were squealing when coming to a normal stop. I pulled the left drum off and found the cable was a little sticky. Cleaned it out and noise was gone until I used the e-brake again...(forgot to not use it). Now the rh rear is noisy almost every time I stop. I replaced the shoes and drums in the fall.
    What do you prefer to release cables that get frozen in their jackets? So many cars have hood cables, Ebrake cables, my sports car has both a boot and hood cable AND a heater cable. My riding mowers have transmission, brake, throttle cables that are monster length and freeze solid over an off season. Even my damn weedeater throttle cable is frozen from sitting 2 years.

One dude I know uses PB Blaster. Are there other things a guy can try when cables freeze up?

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)