Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redline or Lucas?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Redline or Lucas?

In these of high expenses saving $$$ is important. I could spend $600 on fluid or

I need to change the manual fluid on 2 Mirages, 1 Saturn Vue, 1 Puma GT.

I plan to change the high mileage Mirage and the Saturn VUE TWICE. Opinions please. AKAIK the fluid has never been done in either car. (160,000 miles.) The initial changes are more of a flush, so should I use the cheapest fluid for a couple thousand K then switch to the good stuff?

Now, the brand of fluid. There's a $20 difference between Mobil 1 $130, and Redline $110, and a $20 difference between Redline and Lucas, $90.

If I start with the cheapest stuff should I stay with it for compatibility?

Are there other brands of fluid with good reviews and rating by credible sources that I should investigate?

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    In these of high expenses saving $$$ is important. I could spend $600 on fluid or

I need to change the manual fluid on 2 Mirages, 1 Saturn Vue, 1 Puma GT.

I plan to change the high mileage Mirage and the Saturn VUE TWICE. Opinions please. AKAIK the fluid has never been done in either car. (160,000 miles.) The initial changes are more of a flush, so should I use the cheapest fluid for a couple thousand K then switch to the good stuff?

Now, the brand of fluid. There's a $20 difference between Mobil 1 $130, and Redline $110, and a $20 difference between Redline and Lucas, $90.

If I start with the cheapest stuff should I stay with it for compatibility?

Are there other brands of fluid with good reviews and rating by credible sources that I should investigate?
    I can only speak for Mirage manual transmission oil. I have only seen Redline, Mitsuishi OEM, & Ravenol 75W80 GL-4 gear oil in the States, but I haven't looked very hard.

I would use whatever 75W80 GL-4 manual gear oil is the best deal at the time of purchase.

Mobil 1 & Lucas may exist in other markets?

Triax is a brand that I haven't seen before, but it's been quite some time since I have looked for 75W80 GL-4 manual transmission fluid.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (05-01-2023)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    In these parts there is a plethora of brands! A very good brand is ROWE 75W80 GL4/GL5.

I would get a 75W80 GL4; or a 75W80 rated GL4 and GL5. It must be 100% PAO based (synthetic).

Never use a straight GL5 without included GL4 rating, because of the phosphorous-based additive contained in only-GL5 lubricants. That would destroy messing and the synchro rings.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Using Redline in the OS and will continue to use next change.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Mark (05-02-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input,

I'm going to buy the cheapest compatible fluid to flush the Vue and hi-mile Mirage, then I've decided to Redline all my cars, including my 5MT in my summer car.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Has anyone considered Redline MT-LV. Lower viscosity MT fluid. I would have used it in my 60K change if I hadn't already had the 75w80 fluid waiting.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    Has anyone considered Redline MT-LV. Lower viscosity MT fluid. I would have used it in my 60K change if I hadn't already had the 75w80 fluid waiting.
    HMMMM. Totally compatible with the 4 & 5 spec? I'll try it; if it is; if it's priced close to the normal Redline; if I can find it.

I'm sure my Vue will love it, there are shifter issues in the 5MT Ecotec (which I don't experience) that a lesser viscosity will mitigate.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    HMMMM. Totally compatible with the 4 & 5 spec? I'll try it; if it is; if it's priced close to the normal Redline; if I can find it.

I'm sure my Vue will love it, there are shifter issues in the 5MT Ecotec (which I don't experience) that a lesser viscosity will mitigate.
    It is GL-4 like the MTL 75W80 many of us use,

MT-LV 70W/75W GL-4 - QUART
    Popular in Toyota/Lexus LF 75W, BMW X-Drive and other transfer cases transfer cases calling for Shell TF0870
    Recommended for Mercedes 235.10, Dodge/Fiat BOT 350 M3, GM BOT 303 mod, Toyota/Scion Manual Transmissions Gear Oil LV, VW/Audi and BOT270A Graziano Transaxle for Aston Martin, Audi & Lamborghini.
    Offers quicker shifts, a perfect synchronizer coefficient of friction
    Safe for brass synchros, as it lacks the reactive sulfurs found in most GL-5 oils that cause damage
    High performance gear protection and longer synchro life
    Eliminates notchy shifting, even when cold
    Low fluid friction to improve power transfer
    Satisfies the gear oil viscosity requirements of 70W & 75W
    Recommended for GL-1, GL-3 and GL-4 applications as well as where most special synchromesh fluids are specified

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Yes, Daox has been using it. See thread below -

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...5-speed-manual

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (05-09-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It is GL-4 like the MTL 75W80 many of us use,

MT-LV 70W/75W GL-4 - QUART
    Popular in Toyota/Lexus LF 75W, BMW X-Drive and other transfer cases transfer cases calling for Shell TF0870
    Recommended for Mercedes 235.10, Dodge/Fiat BOT 350 M3, GM BOT 303 mod, Toyota/Scion Manual Transmissions Gear Oil LV, VW/Audi and BOT270A Graziano Transaxle for Aston Martin, Audi & Lamborghini.
    Offers quicker shifts, a perfect synchronizer coefficient of friction
    Safe for brass synchros, as it lacks the reactive sulfurs found in most GL-5 oils that cause damage
    High performance gear protection and longer synchro life
    Eliminates notchy shifting, even when cold
    Low fluid friction to improve power transfer
    Satisfies the gear oil viscosity requirements of 70W & 75W
    Recommended for GL-1, GL-3 and GL-4 applications as well as where most special synchromesh fluids are specified
    Well, I have just saved a small fortune. My Saturn Vue uses Dex 3 in the manual transaxle. I still don't quite believe it and will second/third source the data.