Thread: Gearbox mount Mirage 2014 1.2 manual

Country
    Scotland
    Thanks

Gearbox mount Mirage 2014 1.2 manual

Hi,

According to my mechanic, the gearbox mount is worn and I'm struggling to find a place to buy it from. Except from breakers, but I'm not too convinced that an used part would be in significantly better shape than mine's.
    I'm from the UK but am happy to be directed to a shop that has it in stock in any country.

TIA
    Michal

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michal View Post
    Hi,

According to my mechanic, the gearbox mount is worn and I'm struggling to find a place to buy it from. Except from breakers, but I'm not too convinced that an used part would be in significantly better shape than mine's.
    I'm from the UK but am happy to be directed to a shop that has it in stock in any country.

TIA
    Michal
    Its unusual that they go broke. Maybe you need a second opinion?
    Look at this, and if you want it be quick. Good luck!

https://www.ebay.de/itm/165453172615...Bk9SR5zmvf38YQ

3. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Michal (05-04-2023)

Country
    Scotland
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Its unusual that they go broke. Maybe you need a second opinion?
    Look at this, and if you want it be quick. Good luck!

https://www.ebay.de/itm/165453172615...Bk9SR5zmvf38YQ
    I think it's not literally broken to pieces, although I haven't seen it. Maybe the polyurethane/rubber part is worn and this is causing the play?
    Is that specific mount from the link you shared suitable for a 1.2 Mirage? As I can see the donor's gearbox is the same (F5MBD), so common sense says 'yes', but can you confirm it?

Thanks,
    Michal

Edit:
    P.S. Low mileage part!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    The part is the same for 1.0 and 1.2L. If you grab the gearbox as good as you can by hand (!) below the battery, and try wiggling it with force up and down and sideways, you shouldn't be able to move it at all. Neither should it move other than vibrate slightly when the car is in idle. The engine side mount is different story and will vibrate in idle. The only part that can actually wear on engine mounts is the rubber piece.
    There isn't much difference between the drivetrains of 1.0 and 1.2L. The MT is exactly the same (in Europe), the engine just has a different stroke length, and thats just about it except for very few details. I suggest you get the FSM (Factory Service Manual) and the Mitsubishi ASA (parts catalogue).

I too would question the need for replacement. Some of the fleet Mirages that are maintained by independent shops claim these cars need some of the weirdest things at times. One wanted a new engine mount(I can't remember which one), another wanted spark plug boots(I requested the old ones back and found nothing wrong with them), and some other parts that I've never seen fail before. Me thinks there are too many people that open the hood of these car while they're running and for some reason believe they should idle like a Rolls Royce. Then fire off the parts cannon trying to fix something that isn't broken.

I have had to replace engine mounts in some Chevy Sonics. It was pretty clear they were worn, especially when compared to a car without worn mounts. When you'd put it in Drive(automatic obviously), and stopped the entire car would vibrate, in neutral it was fine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    How many kms are on your Mirage with the "worn" mounts?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Scotland
    Thanks
    Thanks all for the input.

In the meantime it appeared that there was a miscommunication between my mechanic and me and actual part he reckons is needed is:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145033444569

I managed to find it cheaper on German Ebay.

I'm sorry for confusing you all but my excuse is that after the inspection of the car, the mechanic literally wrote "lower gear box mount" and hence my initial search for that part.
    The car has ~172000km on the clock.

Thanks,
    Michal