Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Replace timing chain tensioner without ripping apart timing cover?

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Replace timing chain tensioner without ripping apart timing cover?

I've got a 2017 ES. Is it possible to replace the tensioner without having to take apart the timing cover and everything else that goes with that? I recall a diagram showing an access panel on the timing cover specifically for the tensioner, but not entirely sure. I think my tensioner has gotten lazy as I get the rattle on cold starts, so it'd be great to be able to replace it on its own rather than take apart the timing cover!

It's a ratcheting tensioner that I don't think can really lose tension. Is it the same rattle that they typically make on first start up after an oil change or??? Does the oil filter you're using have an anti-drainback valve?

What ever happened with this?> https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...508#post148508

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll bet it's actually valve clatter. They are manually adjustable valves. Perhaps they have worn some?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrfixit View Post
    I'll bet it's actually valve clatter. They are manually adjustable valves. Perhaps they have worn some?
    Nope, there isn't any manual adjustment.
    Edit: didn't realize that was you.
    The lifters aren't adjustable though, you gotta replace the lifter with one that's a different height. The engine I tore down had 3-4 different height lifter buckets. Each one is marked with the height or part number. I'm sure there's pics on the forum somewhere. I'll tear a couple more engines apart one of these days and share that.
    Last edited by Fummins; 09-20-2023 at 07:18 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Nope, there isn't any manual adjustment.
    Edit: didn't realize that was you.
    The lifters aren't adjustable though, you got to replace the lifter with one that's a different height. The engine I tore down had 3-4 different height lifter buckets. Each one is marked with the height or part number. I'm sure there's pics on the forum somewhere. I'll tear a couple more engines apart one of these days and share that.
    Oh man! That sucks. When I read that they were adjustable, I figured they would have gone the route of Honda with a simple screw/nut adjustment. Sounds more like my old VW Rabbit with solid lifters. The tappets have to be swapped out and you need a huge kit with all different sizes to do it right. Bummer.

Whoops I forgot to actually post this. Here’s some of the buckets. (Hopefully it’s visible) Attachment 25886

I thought there was an access cover for the tensioner but I don’t know where? I just looked at two engines on the floor from 2017’s and looked at a 2015 still in a car and didn’t see an access plate. Timing cover looks to be one piece.
    Attachment 25887Attachment 25888

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-20-2023),MightyMirageMpg (09-22-2023)

Attachment 25889
    And there it is. Looks like my 2014(early) engine had an access plate. Weird.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-20-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    That's the one, Fummins, in your last post, 1st pic. Looks like an access port. I've ensured that all my oil filters have had anti-drainback valves. I think the ratchet may have gotten worn out, causing it to slip from the teeth as pressure drops while the car is off... But we'll see!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blargsphemy View Post
    I think my tensioner has gotten lazy as I get the rattle on cold starts
    You don't suppose it's a loose intake snorkel?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)