Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: P0421 code

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemoule View Post
    How do I find out degree of degradation? The handheld tool I borrowed doesn’t report that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Yeah it's crazy out there. Things were quiet for quite a while around work after a scrap dealer got shut down. But they just got a slap on the wrist, free room and board and free schooling if they're good. I knew a guy that used to purposely do stupid **** so he'd go to jail near the mountains each winter so he wouldn't be on the streets. It was a lifestyle for him. He even got his welding ticket in jail!

We're not replacing cats anymore unless absolutely necessary. They're getting replaced with pipe and deleted by a tuner guy in town. Until the epa or some other granola people get wind of that. I mentioned doing that about $30k in replacement cats ago. A security bear would be pretty handy to have around here.
    I remember when the first big surge in gas prices in 2006-7 came along, where we first saw $1.50 liter gas dudes carried a portable drill and thought nothing of drilling into the plastic or metal gas tanks to get 5 gallons. Jeesus, what insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    We have to do emissions testing, in the 7 counties in the local and vicinity of the Thunderdome. But I have a work around if I want to avoid doing it. I can register vehicles at my sister's address (my dad's home, where I grew up). No need to do that as yet. I just (try to) keep my cars in top shape. I try, but something is always busted.
    We finally did away with E testing. It was pointless. But in your case counties around you can't even agree if it should be done. I'm convinced all these different laws are designed to keep us off balance not knowing what the hell is required/legal/safe.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    But in your case counties around you can't even agree if it should be done. I'm convinced all these different laws are designed to keep us off balance not knowing what the hell is required/legal/safe.
    The population focus in GA is within the Thunderdome. So those counties and the surrounding metro counties do emissions testing. The rural counties just don't. My opinion of the reason why is just my opinion, no factual basis.

As far as different laws and inconsistencies thereof, I'll say that I actually believe that the average i.q. of state, local, county, federal politicians and council members is lower than the overall average citizen. I am NOT exaggerating. I think said lower than average i.q. level is even further lower than the average citizen hired into the private sector. Said lower i.q. levels in out trusty gobment(s) lead to inconsistencies, lack of logic, corruption, etc. Why the hell do we tolerate it? I don't know. Me? I don't want anything to do with polititrash people on either side. I think they all suck.

In my life's experience, I have known people who, while not necessarily dumb, I realize are not particularly intelligent. It seemed to me that it was from that pool of not particularly intelligent people, they seemed to be drawn to those areas that would give them some sort of feeling of power. In 2 instances, 1 guy I knew in said pool was somewhat of a bully. He always wanted to fight me. He was a year older, but I was heavily involved in sports from birth (he was not). I never did fight him, but I told him (after him bullying me about fighting, calling me chicken, etc, for months) we could have like a wrestling match. That was before I wrestled in school, so it wasn't really wrestling, just pushing each other to the ground sort of thing. I got him in a headlock and decided to squeeze until his head popped off, or until he cried out, because I was sick of him. I squeezed hard enough to choke a horse! He cried out and flayed around or I would have squeezed until he passed out (at least). Because there were lots of kids around watching this, he never lived it down that a boy 1 year younger whipped him. He never bothered me again. But I got a lot mo' bigguh after that anyway. I guess his lack of ability to understand complex things made him feel somewhat substandard, so he tried to offset that by trying to exert power over those around him. Years later, he became a cop (go figure). And shortly after becoming a cop, he shot and killed a person. The person was in a car, my "friend" was at the car's window, and the driver cranked up and tried to drive away. Buddy shot & killed him as he was fleeing. What a shame. I wouldn't be surprised if my, "friend" was some sort of politician now. Don't get me wrong, there are very smart politicians. But I think most are lower than average.
    Last edited by 7milesout; 05-10-2023 at 05:45 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

I've drilled holes and punched holes in gas tanks with a hammer and punch(and loader forks). I also unplug airbags without unhooking the battery and rode a bike without a helmet.
    Attachment 25196

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Interesting read especially the part about smartness of that guy's lifestyle going to jail to avoid the streets in winter, sounds smart enough actually. Wait did my thread get hijacked? lol
    Ok so check engine light is back on now again. So i'm going to read the code tomorrow and report back.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    @littlemoule...

prior to doing anything like DTC reset, can you observe first the behavior of both AFR sensor and O2 sensor across the RPM range.

Maybe you can select/set the parameters that can display the readings or graph in your scanner simultaneously.

For me, my car came only with the O2 sensor, no AFR installed.. so I can only play w/ parameters that are available.

Sample setup

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-11-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I don't think my scanner can read the graph. What exactly am I looking for with the graph that can help me identify the problem?
    The only thing that comes to mind is a recent Krown Rusting proofing that was done and the light came on shortly after. I'm wondering if Krown rust proofing got into the sensors or something? As well, I am wondering if this scanner will read and plot the graph:
    https://www.amazon.ca/BlueDriver-Blu.../dp/B00652G4TS

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    @littlemoule I just bought that scanner. I am happy to answer any questions you have. So far it appears to do nothing more(maybe less) than a $25 scanner on amazon would do. It is capable of plotting some graphs, what sensor were you trying to graph?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemoule View Post
    I don't think my scanner can read the graph. What exactly am I looking for with the graph that can help me identify the problem?
    The only thing that comes to mind is a recent Krown Rusting proofing that was done and the light came on shortly after. I'm wondering if Krown rust proofing got into the sensors or something?...
    the idea is to monitor the output voltage of the sensors at various RPMs if they are operating normally or not.

The FSM gives the oxygen sensor as one possible cause of P0421, however, as there is no other DTC given that can be directly related to O2 sensor, IMHO it would be a good idea to monitor the output voltage of the oxygen sensor either in graph or in numbers and confirm it is good so the sensor can be put out of the equation and point the fault to the catalytic converter itself.

On the other hand, the sensor might be giving an erroneous signal due to seepage of the Rusting proofing chemical into it. That could be the reason why the P0421 code occurred.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-31-2023),klroger (05-13-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    On the other hand, the sensor might be giving an erroneous signal due to seepage of the Rusting proofing chemical into it. That could be the reason why the P0421 code occurred.
    I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of not agree with this. Meaning, I have my doubts that seepage is going to occur through the threads. I would think if anything the rust proofing may tend to form a seal *if* it had come in contact with the back side of the sensor. Not stating fact, just thinking out loud.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Mitz may be on to something. An O2 sensor generates a signal by monitoring the O2 in the exhaust stream compared to the outside air. If the undercoat covered the sensor, it's possible it has sealed the sensor from the outside air. This vid shows the idea https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE . Maybe try cleaning it with brake clean spray & compressed air & clear codes & try it again???

I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

7milesout (05-12-2023),mohammad (05-12-2023)