Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: P0421 code

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Heck, I didn't know it used outside air pulling it in from the wire harness side. Daggone! Thanks for the video klroger!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm going to get the O2 sensor cleaned with Brake Cleaner and report back.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I did nothing and the Check Engine Light turned off today. Should I still take it for O2 Sensor cleaning or just do it when the code reappears.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    just pray it never reappears. praying is free.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

littlemoule (05-14-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    So the Check Engine Light code is back. I spoke to two shops and they said they won't take the O2 Sensor out to clean it because the risk of it breaking is high and they suggested to just replace the Catalytic Converter because 9/10 times it's the catalytic converter with this code. Rip off? Thoughts?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Is your Mirage still under powertrain warranty?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Pretty sure it only applies to the first owner. I am not the first owner.

Quote Originally Posted by littlemoule View Post
    Pretty sure it only applies to the first owner. I am not the first owner.
    Pretty sure that's a US thing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (05-19-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    it's a ripoff only if they're wanting to charge a bloody fortune for it. I would ask them what they would charge you for install labor, and source a catalyst yourself. I'm sure us guys up in here will help you source a proper catalyst, then let them (or any shop) install. I'm guessing you'd save money, and wind up with a better end result too.

The last thing you would want to do is to have a shop source a POS catalyst and continue to have problems.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    littlemoule - Just thinking out loud here. Unless you do inspections where you live, and having that CEL / code will cause you to fail the inspections, assuming your car is performing well, you might just ignore it.

I mean, unless your car's performance is being seriously compromised, it's not such a big deal. IIRC, that code is about the cat not warming up quick enough, or something like that. Maybe I'm not remembering right. But it seems like your cat still seems to be working to some degree, and that your car is driving OK. I'd just ignore it, unless due to an upcoming inspection you cannot. Or unless the cat is failing and plugging up the exhaust pulling your 78 hp down to 40 hp and reducing your mpg. It's not like you're car is on the verge of exploding. And even if the cat is only 50% effective, your polluting a lot less than millions of properly tuned Ford F150s. You might consider just ignoring it and seeing what happens over time now that your engine is not misfiring.