Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does my vehicle have the power window auto-up function?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Yes christopher if you have rear power windows on your Mirage then the driver door window includes a sensor that detects stalling and will reverse the motor something like 15cm if it stalls to allow little johnnys room to free his head. Unfortunately I don't have rear power windows and therefore also dont have the auto up function on any window.
    I need to eat crow & correct one of my earlier posts.

My Mirage has auto up, and I didn't even realize it. I tested both my 2015 Impala Limited driving school car, & my Mirage tonight. These are driver's door windows only. The Impala has auto down only.

My base level Mirage does have auto up, & that concerns me. I grabbed it several times, however, and it didn't take much force to stop/reverse the direction with my hand. I don't think it would kill a child or a pet. If your child or pet are driving your car, you may have much bigger issues!

I've had this feature for almost 6 years & never realized it! Obviously, only the driver's door has this feature.

I feel so stupid! I've been doing all that extra work all this time just to close my window!

I may not have said this before, but I really miss cheap affordable cars that offer a very basic trim level!

The closest to that in recent years may have been the Nissan Micra, but that wasn't sold in the States (nor was it very efficient in the mpg department).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (05-11-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Auto up is a lawsuit in the making!!!!
    My Lexus LS has 5 lawsuits in the making!

All 4 windows have auto up from all switch locations in my LS. The sunroof has the "guillotine" auto-close function too.

There's a mandate, probably FMVSS, that every window with auto-up must have what you guys are talking about, and what is referred to in the automotive industry as "pinch protection." I don't know the following, but is what I remember - the ECU monitors amperage draw to those motors. Once the amperage draw reaches a threshold, the motor is stopped, and probably most of the time reversed some amount.

Here's a test. Put the window down, then place your scrotum inline with the glass and hit the auto-up function. If you wind up singing soprano, I was wrong.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post

All 4 windows have auto up from all switch locations in my LS. The sunroof has the "guillotine" auto-close function too.

There's a mandate, probably FMVSS, that every window with auto-up must have what you guys are talking about, and what is referred to in the automotive industry as "pinch protection." I don't know the following, but is what I remember - the ECU monitors amperage draw to those motors. Once the amperage draw reaches a threshold, the motor is stopped, and probably most of the time reversed some amount.

Here's a test. Put the window down, then place your scrotum inline with the glass and hit the auto-up function. If you wind up singing soprano, I was wrong.
    I was going to suggest the neck, because the scrotum seems physically impossible?

When you get a chance, test the two cars & tell us how they react (same or different amount of force). I'm not suggesting neck. When I use my hand to stop it on my Mirage last night, the window drops all the way back down.

Now that I know about this feature, it's going to annoy me. In all honesty, I think it has already, but I never put two & two together. The feature makes it harder to adjust your window to a certain level. I hate most things that have the word "auto" associated with them. I like being in control. I think there's a name for that?

I've even told people in the past that's why I like manuals. I'm such a control freak that I want to make the decision when to shift my car!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

The real issue in the past was not auto up. It was the design of the switches. They used to be a rocker style switch. I know my 1999 Ford Explorer was like that. Most of my other vehicles had hand cranks, because I buy the cheapest trim levels.

If a dog stepped on the switch or a child leaned on it, the window would go up. The force was enough to choke them, & neither may be smart enough to know what to do to reverse it.

That's why most switches today are push down or slip your finger under the switch to pull up now.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

I sort of carefully read the factory service manual to discover how the auto up function works. The motor current does not appear to be measured, instead the Mirage uses 2 hall effect sensors to measure the RPM of the window motor. If the RPM hits zero (or maybe gets low it does not mention the detection threshold) the window motor is reversed a few cm (i think 10 or 15).

There is also NO ECU involved in any mirages power windows. the ECU/ETACS system only turns on the relay for the power window system. the entire system including the window lockout and the auto-up collision detection are powered by a processor in the drivers window switches.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

klroger (05-11-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That makes sense. For some reason, I remember I had to "relearn" the driver window on the Pumpkin where "up stop" & "down stop" was before it worked properly after I replaced the battery. https://www.wheelsjoint.com/mitsubis...0functionality. Maybe if your power drivers window doesn't have the "one touch" up & down, try the reset procedure to see if it works???
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    There is also NO ECU involved in any mirages power windows. the ECU/ETACS system only turns on the relay for the power window system. the entire system including the window lockout and the auto-up collision detection are powered by a processor in the drivers window switches.
    Smartass.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

mohammad (05-12-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    That makes sense. For some reason, I remember I had to "relearn" the driver window on the Pumpkin where "up stop" & "down stop" was before it worked properly after I replaced the battery. https://www.wheelsjoint.com/mitsubis...0functionality. Maybe if your power drivers window doesn't have the "one touch" up & down, try the reset procedure to see if it works???
    The collision detection on the mirage does have a leaning procedure, the drivers window switches actually receives power all the time 24/7 which is used to power the volatile memory similar to how the radio presets are stored in volatile memory in some cars.

I have no idea what the point of the learning procedure is, I imagine it measures how long it takes the window to go up. then in the future if it detects that it is taking longer than that then it knows that motor or glass is probably busted? I guess this makes sense if the window switches are also used in other cars with different window sizes.

The factory service manual shows my poverty rear manual window version as not having the auto-up function. I can also tell because I don't have the auto-up switch position when I hold the up button.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Smartass.
    The interesting part of this is that the amount of force applied is literally the motor maximum. I guess this is the cheapest way to make a safety system, by saying that the maximum amount of force applied by the window motor is not enough to cause injury.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The interesting part of this is that the amount of force applied is literally the motor maximum. I guess this is the cheapest way to make a safety system, by saying that the maximum amount of force applied by the window motor is not enough to cause injury.
    When I was taking truck driving lessons, my semi truck had a hand crank for the driver & electric power window for the passenger window that the driver couldn't reach. That is how a vehicle should be designed in my opinion.

Putting power windows up front & hand crank windows in the back makes absolutely no sense to me.

This is a non-issue for us when it comes to the Mirage because all windows are power windows for all trim levels.

Some of our Ford Focus cars for our driving school have rear hand cranks & power windows up front. I see no logic for that! If you are going to cheap out that way, make the ones the driver can't reach be the power windows.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BigMW (05-12-2023)