Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does my vehicle have the power window auto-up function?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Does my vehicle have the power window auto-up function?

I have the manual rear window es-base model in canada, my drivers side window does auto down but it does not do the auto up. I was thinking that maybe it just needs to be calibrated but the factory service manual says that vehicles without the power window safety mechanism will only have the auto-down function and not auto up. Does anyone know if my trim of vehicle should have the safety mechanism for auto-up?

Last edited by mohammad; 05-06-2023 at 01:52 AM.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I have the manual rear window es-base model in canada, my drivers side window does auto down but it does not do the auto up. I was thinking that maybe it just needs to be calibrated but the factory service manual says that vehicles without the power window safety mechanism will only have the auto-down function and not auto up. Does anyone know if my trim of vehicle should have the safety mechanism for auto-up?
    Auto up is a lawsuit in the making!!!!

Years ago, cars had rocker switches for power windows and children died because of them! It's why you have put your finger under the switch & pull up now. Imagine your dog stepping on the old rocker switches with its head out the window of your car. It could literally choke itself, & it happened to children, too! If nothing else, it may prevent your dog from closing the window on you & locking you out at the same time while you hopped out to get the mail or something.

NO auto window up is done by design. It may be even illegal now. Window switches should be the pull up design on newer vehicles, too.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Auto up is a lawsuit in the making!!!!

Years ago, cars had rocker switches for power windows and children died because of them! It's why you have put your finger under the switch & pull up now. Imagine your dog stepping on the old rocker switches with its head out the window of your car. It could literally choke itself, & it happened to children, too! If nothing else, it may prevent your dog from closing the window on you & locking you out at the same time while you hopped out to get the mail or something.

NO auto window up is done by design. It may be even illegal now. Window switches should be the pull up design on newer vehicles, too.
    by "auto up" i meant the one touch up feature where when you pull up harder on the driver side switch it will automatically raise the drivers window. Also the switch stop working when the car is off and the drivers door is open. Looking through the wiring diagrams it appears that the 'safety feature' for auto up windows was only included on cars with the rear power windows.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

I don't know which ones came with auto up. I think my 2014 does. The switch is a little worn so it's hard to feel the detent. The power windows in these cars won't go up if there's resistance, like when the window regulator bolts on the 2017's come loose and eventually bind up. The welfare editions(power front windows and manual rear-like a dodge neon) may not have that feature.
    I'm pretty sure the pull-to-go-up button is mandatory.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't know which ones came with auto up. I think my 2014 does. The switch is a little worn so it's hard to feel the detent. The power windows in these cars won't go up if there's resistance, like when the window regulator bolts on the 2017's come loose and eventually bind up. The welfare editions(power front windows and manual rear-like a dodge neon) may not have that feature.
    I'm pretty sure the pull-to-go-up button is mandatory.
    the manual shows the welfare edition does not have this feature ****ing poverty

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-06-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Does anyone know the pinout of the F-13 power window main switch connector on the poverty edition? i'm curious if the battery positive line is present.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    by "auto up" i meant the one touch up feature where when you pull up harder on the driver side switch it will automatically raise the drivers window. Also the switch stop working when the car is off and the drivers door is open. Looking through the wiring diagrams it appears that the 'safety feature' for auto up windows was only included on cars with the rear power windows.
    I know exactly what you are talking about.

I have never seen an auto up in all my years of owning vehicles & using driver's education vehicles, but I can't say I have owned or driven everything. Auto up should be illegal for all vehicles, but I don't know if it's a mandated "NO".

Personally, I prefer hand cranks. Cranks in the rear, but not in the front is even more stupid in my opinion.

When I drive during the summer months, my rear windows are open a small amount 90% of the time. I like power windows for that. I surely don't need power windows in the front when I can reach a crank.

Our Ford Focus driver's education cars are set up the same way. Cranks in the rear & power up front. It's just stupid!

All Mirages in the States have power windows on all four doors. If I had to give the car two cranks, I would want them up front & not in the rear.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BigMW (05-06-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    the manual shows the welfare edition does not have this feature ****ing poverty
    Both mine 14 & 17 have auto up. My 14 is some weird loaded ES build. my 17 is standard ES build.

I'm confident in Canada if you have auto up you will have a safety switch. Transport Canada isn't likely to roll safety regs back a decade.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-06-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    MY 21 HAS AUTO UP ON DRIVER SIDE. If I have to have electric windows I do prefer the auto up / down functions. I may look at how to allow those functions in the other windows. My friend was able to add the auto up function to the passenger window of the 2003 Focus SVT i sold him. It required only a different window switch.

Of course anything that opens and closes could pose a safety threat. Little johnny could choke out his prother using a manual windo crank while mom is in the store.

I have read newer power window systems can "sense" resistence and are more safe than older units. I don't have children because they cost too much money.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yes christopher if you have rear power windows on your Mirage then the driver door window includes a sensor that detects stalling and will reverse the motor something like 15cm if it stalls to allow little johnnys room to free his head. Unfortunately I don't have rear power windows and therefore also dont have the auto up function on any window.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (05-09-2023)