Thread: Died on the road

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Question Died on the road

I put a new AGM battery in last week, the car was at approx 11.8 volts when I started it. It started without issue. The voltage immediately went up to 13.6-13.8volt range. It stayed at or above 13.6 volts while running. I had the heat and rear defrost running. Approximately 5-7 minutes of driving later I came to a stop at an redlight and when I went to accelerate I noticed that the engine was off and numerous dash lights were on. Shifting into park to turn the car on and off allowed it to immediately restart.

Any thoughts on why this may have occurred? **** was scary.

please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

I go back and double check the battery installer work. Make sure the posts are tight. Otherwise there's really not much info. Did you scan for codes?
    And a heads up for next time, the car will start in neutral too. I had to teach the wife how to shift to neutral while in traffic on the highway when our pos Armada would intermittently stall at the worst times.

When the engine is off and key on all the warning lights will come on so that's pretty normal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Wallythacker (05-06-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hmmmm.

I suspect your new battery may have internal defects. I'm not sure of how the glass mat is installed but if it comes loose or shifts.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I go back and double check the battery installer work. Make sure the posts are tight. Otherwise there's really not much info. Did you scan for codes?
    And a heads up for next time, the car will start in neutral too. I had to teach the wife how to shift to neutral while in traffic on the highway when our pos Armada would intermittently stall at the worst times.

When the engine is off and key on all the warning lights will come on so that's pretty normal.
    Thanks for the quick response.

Yes the battery posts are tight

The dash lights, radio and dash cam didn't turn off and the car restarted without hesitation so there was probably enough power in there to keep the car running. Which causes me to think that maybe it could have been something other than an electrical issue.

I agree that the key in run position with the engine off results in all the warning lights coming on.

my best guess is the gas is going stale, I last filled up at the start of March so about 2 months ago. I just put in half a tank of premium in right now to make me feel better.

The check engine light is not on, do you think its worthwhile for me to buy some cheapo scanner? Do cheap scanners usually pickup codes without a check engine light on this car?

Update: I just bought a BlueDriver OBD 2 scan tool for $113 CAD, I'll let ya'll know when it comes. I also bought Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner, and a current measuring clamp.
    Last edited by mohammad; 05-06-2023 at 09:08 AM.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Thanks for the quick response.

Yes the battery posts are tight

The dash lights, radio and dash cam didn't turn off and the car restarted without hesitation so there was probably enough power in there to keep the car running. Which causes me to think that maybe it could have been something other than an electrical issue.

I agree that the key in run position with the engine off results in all the warning lights coming on.

my best guess is the gas is going stale, I last filled up at the start of March so about 2 months ago. I just put in half a tank of premium in right now to make me feel better.

The check engine light is not on, do you think its worthwhile for me to buy some cheapo scanner? Do cheap scanners usually pickup codes without a check engine light on this car?

Update: I just bought a BlueDriver OBD 2 scan tool for $113 CAD, I'll let ya'll know when it comes. I also bought Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner, and a current measuring clamp.
    Yeah, it's possible there is a pending code stored that didn't throw a cel. After a few drive cycles without a problem, it might just go away on it's own. I learned that some cheaper scanners can read codes that my 8 year old autel wasn't able to for some reason. At least on a 14 year old GM workhorse chassis. I haven't used many cheap scanners/code readers but might be looking into getting one to try.

Gas should last longer than that unless you left your gas cap off or had a tank with water or something. I don't drain the fuel from my side by side and it sits for 6 months or so and always starts up.
    If you think you have crap fuel(water in fuel) try some gas-line antifreeze/methal hydrate.

I picked up a cheap cig lighter usb outlet that shows voltage. It'll at least show if the alternator is working or not on the fly.

I'm jealous that you needed your heater in your car. It was +34C here on Thursday! Now everything is on fire over here. Thought we were gonna be evacuated last night cause of a nearby fire that was headed this way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (05-07-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The website mysteriously deleted my post…
    I rewrote it:
    Only code stored in B210d, I guess we are no closer to knowing why my ****box died.

I also noticed my cigarette lighter voltmeter shows 13.6-13.8 volts when the scan tool shows 14.2 is that normal?

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    The website mysteriously deleted my post…
    I rewrote it:
    Only code stored in B210d, I guess we are no closer to knowing why my ****box died.

I also noticed my cigarette lighter voltmeter shows 13.6-13.8 volts when the scan tool shows 14.2 is that normal?
    Could be, I've never compared the two #'s. I checked the voltage in a handful of Mirages that are running right now(via gps) they vary between 13.7V and 14.2V.
    If you can, I'd clear that code so you can start fresh if your car stalls again. If you get the same code then I'd be looking at replacing that alternator. They rarely go but the one I had to replace was acting up intermittently.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Gas should last longer than that unless you left your gas cap off or had a tank with water or something. I don't drain the fuel from my side by side and it sits for 6 months or so and always starts up.
    If you think you have crap fuel(water in fuel) try some gas-line antifreeze/methal hydrate.

I picked up a cheap cig lighter usb outlet that shows voltage. It'll at least show if the alternator is working or not on the fly.

I'm jealous that you needed your heater in your car. It was +34C here on Thursday! Now everything is on fire over here. Thought we were gonna be evacuated last night cause of a nearby fire that was headed this way.
    Keep some Stabil around, buy it on sale, it's $20 for a liter. if you are parking an ethanol fueled vehicle, even for a month or so, IMO it's MANDATORY to use Stabil. Ever since I started using it there has never been an issue, even with my small 4 cycle engines that are fueled with E15 and sit for entire summers. I try to use ethanol free premium on small engines but sometimes I don't have any but need to gas up with what I have.

Could be, I've never compared the two #'s. I checked the voltage in a handful of Mirages that are running right now(via gps) they vary between 13.7V and 14.2V.
    If you can, I'd clear that code so you can start fresh if your car stalls again. If you get the same code then I'd be looking at replacing that alternator. They rarely go but the one I had to replace was acting up intermittently.
    I get a discrepancy. it's normal to read 14.x from the charging circuit and 13.x at the lighter.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

mohammad (05-11-2023)