Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is my transmission is finished?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Is my transmission is finished?

I picked up a 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 yesterday for $1500 with 74,000 Miles on it. Car needed a front passenger door and headlights. Car started fine and drove ok for the first 30 minutes but then the engine would stall when I came to a stop. It would start right back up each time but when I put it in drive it would stall again. So instead of coming to complete stop I would let off the gas and coast to a stop, then hit the gas as I rolled through stop signs. I did this about 5 times and the 6th time it went into limp mode. CEL came on and car would not shift into 2nd gear, I drove it about 4 miles in limp mode to get it home. Here are the Codes its throwing
    P0746 Pressure Control
    P0791 Secondary Speed Sensor
    P0796 Primary Pressure Soleniod
    P0876 High Clutch Pressure SW
    P0791 Secondary Speed Sensor
    P0796 Primary Pressure Soleniod
    P0741 Lockup Sol./TCC Sol.Stuck OFF

There's a pretty good chance it's toast. Is the fluid black?

If you can, drop the oil pan(10mm bolts, 19mm{3/4"} for drain plug). There are 2 magnets stuck to the pan that typically will collect all the bad stuff.
    Skip to 8:59, if it looks like this then it's a goner.
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-06-2023 at 08:21 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

craigq (05-08-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fluid is black, there's a 2015 hatch at the pull a part with the engine and transmission still in. I may go pull that one.

Any year should work for you if that helps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    There's a pretty good chance it's toast. Is the fluid black?

If you can, drop the oil pan(10mm bolts, 19mm{3/4"} for drain plug). There are 2 magnets stuck to the pan that typically will collect all the bad stuff.
    Skip to 8:59, if it looks like this then it's a goner.
    I'm always fascinated being educated as an engineer at the level of sophisticated stuff that ends up in the trash/boneyard perhaps never to be used again. It really is a massive waste of everything, time, money, talent, education, resources.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

twister77 (05-07-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I pulled the pan and nothing big enough to pull out, just metal shavings but the fluid was black and has a burnt smell to it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  20230506_182508.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  96.9 KB

Sorry for the late reply and not overly helpful info before.
    That oil pan looks kinda promising. Most of the trouble codes you had in the first thread point to stuff on the valve body. Except for the secondary speed sensor that's bolted on from the outside. That sensor is on the top of the transmission behind the trans mount iirc. I'd maybe make sure everything is plugged in properly.

Maybe try swapping out the valve body too? That seems to fix a lot of problems with these transmissions lately. If that helps I'd go back and change the filters too.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Why is the CVT toast after only 74k miles? That has to be the lowest reported number on here ever posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Why is the CVT toast after only 74k miles? That has to be the lowest reported number on here ever posted.
    I've had one(the only one) replaced under warranty in one with maybe 40ish k miles. Or the car may have 200k miles. It only takes one screw and 30 seconds to knock off a few hundred K.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (05-16-2023),Dirk Diggler (05-09-2023)