Thread: Cheap adaptable batteries for Mirage

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Cheap adaptable batteries for Mirage

An auto place called Princess Auto, known by most Canadians, has a lawn tractor battery on sale for $55.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/gcu1...t/PA0008680548

A few people are not happy with them but Princess has a really good return policy, and the battery has a no questions asked 6 month replacement. I figure it's good enough to start my 14 Mirage for a couple of years.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    An auto place called Princess Auto, known by most Canadians, has a lawn tractor battery on sale for $55.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/gcu1...t/PA0008680548

A few people are not happy with them but Princess has a really good return policy, and the battery has a no questions asked 6 month replacement. I figure it's good enough to start my 14 Mirage for a couple of years.

My concern would be the low 160 CCA of that particular battery. I've never seen a lawn mower battery with a number that low. Our cheap Walmart U1 lawn mower battery has a 230 CCA rating for about $29 USD. A $35 U1 would give you 275 CCA, and a $50 U1 gives you 340 CCA. I will be curious to hear how well that battery does during cold weather.

It's a good experiment to try, especially if you own jumper cables! You'll have to give us updates on it!

A Mirage factory battery is only 356 CCA, and mine is 6+ years old, which is pretty good in my opinion.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (05-25-2023)

The battery's I install in these things are rated for around 600cca iirc. Lawn tractor battery. I get being cheap but....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (05-25-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The battery's I install in these things are rated for around 600cca iirc. Lawn tractor battery. I get being cheap but....
    I agree. A Walmart Everstart battery (group size 35) (cheapest of three offerings) is under $70 & has 490 CCA at least.

I'd rather install a higher capacity battery that's the stock size over cheaper smaller and far crappier battery. If saving weight is the goal then I guess removing the spare tire, draining the washer fluid and tossing the coolant over flow bottle are quick and easy weight loss tips. Take out the back seat too. Or just check out Lorens thread lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I dunno how we have 2 threads going but will a mod please delete this one? thanks

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

mohammad (05-27-2023)