Thread: Transmission problem please help.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Exclamation Transmission problem please help.

The problem started in the heavy rain. It was raining horribly even for my state which frequently has bad weather. The car suddenly started rough idling and having the battery light flashing on while this was happening. I got to where I was going and parked. When I came back to the car to leave later it wouldn't start are first, it was cranking and whining but not starting. Then it started. It drove better home than the ride there.

The next morning the car wouldn't start. It was crank, I could smell gas. It had been 70k miles since I had changed the spark plugs so at first, I thought that this was the problem. I put new spark plugs in and it got closer to starting, the engine would rumble like it was about to start but then wouldn't.

I ordered in a Bluetooth scanner and got transmission error codes. P0715, and P0791. This car just turned 100,400 but it had its transmission replaced under warranty late 30k/ early 40k. So only about 60k something miles on the transmission. Not a good feeling obviously.

I had my car unable to start last summer as well, my neighbor used a scanner and it found transmission error codes but couldn't read them as it wasn't good enough of a scanner. I had it towed to a shop and asked them to check the error codes. The insisted the problem was bad gas and they cleared the codes after doing an oil change and cleaning the spark plugs too. My transmission was still under warranty at the time. But the car ran great after, and the check engine light was gone so I didn't question it.

Fast forward to today and I'm wondering if this isn't the exact some error that he cleared, except I'm not out of transmission warranty.

I had read online that this problem can be caused by low or dirty transmission fluid. It was very dirty, so I got new internal filters and aux filters (plus plug gasket) and drains the fluid. I went to remove the wheel well liner and the bolt that attaches it to the fender was completely rusted in and the head snapped off.

I now can't get to the aux filter but obviously can get to the pan filter. Is there any point is dropping the pan and just replacing that filter and refilling to see if it works? I read online that I can get to the aux filter from the top by removing the battery holder but can't find any videos on it.

How likely is this that my transmission is shot rather than just bad fluid? Before I drained the fluid it would rumble like it was starting but then wouldn't start. I am right on the dot due for an engine oil change too. Could that possibly help it get started?

If I manage to get it started by placing the pan filter and gasket and refilling with fluid, would it possibly damage the transmission to drive it to the dealer?

I am going to use transmax CVT fluid by Castrol which according to their website is to spec for J4 transmission fluid.

The Car is a 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE.

Last edited by DeadCar; 05-10-2023 at 12:19 PM. Reason: adding car

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I should add that the rough idle was extremely rumbly to the point where my car was shaking.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    i doubt a transmission problem effects how your car starts or idles in park.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The idling was at stop lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadCar View Post
    The problem started in the heavy rain. It was raining horribly even for my state which frequently has bad weather. The car suddenly started rough idling and having the battery light flashing on while this was happening. I got to where I was going and parked. When I came back to the car to leave later it wouldn't start are first, it was cranking and whining but not starting. Then it started. It drove better home than the ride there.

The next morning the car wouldn't start. It was crank, I could smell gas. It had been 70k miles since I had changed the spark plugs so at first, I thought that this was the problem. I put new spark plugs in and it got closer to starting, the engine would rumble like it was about to start but then wouldn't.

I ordered in a Bluetooth scanner and got transmission error codes. P0715, and P0791. This car just turned 100,400 but it had its transmission replaced under warranty late 30k/ early 40k. So only about 60k something miles on the transmission. Not a good feeling obviously.

I had my car unable to start last summer as well, my neighbor used a scanner and it found transmission error codes but couldn't read them as it wasn't good enough of a scanner. I had it towed to a shop and asked them to check the error codes. The insisted the problem was bad gas and they cleared the codes after doing an oil change and cleaning the spark plugs too. My transmission was still under warranty at the time. But the car ran great after, and the check engine light was gone so I didn't question it.

Fast forward to today and I'm wondering if this isn't the exact some error that he cleared, except I'm not out of transmission warranty.

I had read online that this problem can be caused by low or dirty transmission fluid. It was very dirty, so I got new internal filters and aux filters (plus plug gasket) and drains the fluid. I went to remove the wheel well liner and the bolt that attaches it to the fender was completely rusted in and the head snapped off.

I now can't get to the aux filter but obviously can get to the pan filter. Is there any point is dropping the pan and just replacing that filter and refilling to see if it works? I read online that I can get to the aux filter from the top by removing the battery holder but can't find any videos on it.

How likely is this that my transmission is shot rather than just bad fluid? Before I drained the fluid it would rumble like it was starting but then wouldn't start. I am right on the dot due for an engine oil change too. Could that possibly help it get started?

If I manage to get it started by placing the pan filter and gasket and refilling with fluid, would it possibly damage the transmission to drive it to the dealer?

I am going to use transmax CVT fluid by Castrol which according to their website is to spec for J4 transmission fluid.

The Car is a 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE.
    I had a Mirage in the shop a month ago with the P0791 and complaints of shifting into reverse. I replaced the secondary speed sensor with a used one and it's been good. I'm pretty sure I dropped the oil pan and changed the fluid at the same time too.

It sounds like your car is flooding and not starting. Do that enough times and you'll start filling the crankcase with gas.
    This'll usually do the trick to get it going without pulling the plugs and blowing the cylinders out.

As for shaking and battery light coming on, if it's idling too low(running like pooh) the alternator won't charge and the light will come on, just like with the key on/engine off. Running like pooh could be caused by anything.

I've never had to remove a bolt to get the inner fender off. There is a 12mm bolt under the corner of the rad support but everything else should be plastic clips holding it on.

So to be clear, does it only run rough while stopped only in drive or neutral/park too?

If you've never replaced the fluid in 60k of driving I'd probably give that a go, drop the pan and have a look. Or check out the other 2-3 cvt threads started recently.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

DeadCar (05-10-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    thank you for the help!

It was the 12mm bolt that you said that snapped. Will it be safe to drive it to a mechanic to have them extract it once the car is running again? The bolt was rusted enough a 12mm socket wouldn't fit on it and I used a 13mm socket. The head of the bolt is still stuck in the socket and won't come out.

It actually doing the rumbling almost start of about 2:20 in that video but it's a bit more violent in the rumble.

The belt currently has about 100k miles on it, and I haven't changed it and I doubt it was changed before I bought it at 30k. As the battery light and rough idle happened in the rain I was thinking the belt might have been slipping and have a new one, but I haven't installed it yet. I'm still trying to find the ft-lb to torque the bolts for it down to once reinstalled. Also, a bit nervous about it as I've never installed a belt before.

I was only running rough while in drive at the lights. It was already not starting by the next day so I didn't get much drive time on it. Probably about 20min total that day it was a short drive.

I have a internal pan filter to put in there as well but I didn't order the Orings.

Also, what is the part number for those plastic tabs? I found that a few were missing and broken when I got the wheel off. When I found the part number MR288150 for it and looked up some replacements on amazon they didn't look like the ones in my car. They also were only listed on amazon as being compatible with the G4. The MR200300 on amazon look like the ones in my car but are only listed as being compatible up to the 2002 mirage.

I think the error codes are for both the secondary and primary. What readings should I look for with my multimeter to test them?