Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fumoto vs EZ

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Basic - I'm not sure what you mean. Maybe I need to look at these things again. Do you mean threading the fumoto in where the threads of the valve are "proud" of the bottom surface of the pan? Therefore, not completely draining?
    That is not his concern. His concern is the position of the open/close valve lever once the valve is attached.

I can only speak from the experience of 2017 Mirage & 2011 Forester. The valve levers ended up on the top when I tightened it on, which means they are less likely to be hit by anything. They are well above the bottom of the oil pan.

If you didn't like the position, adding a second gasket/washer of some sort may do the trick.

I have the Fumoto F106S (short nipple if you wanted to attach a hose). If you are really concerned about this, you pay $6 extra for the F106SX. That design would allow you to position it where you want it. I know Eggman had that one on his Mirage. Since I am right handed, I tend to slide under the driver's side of the oil pan from the front. The F106SX would seem a bit awkward to manipulate in my opinion, but it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

5 Fumoto types below -

https://www.fumotousa.com/cars-picku...mirage-1-2l-l3

When I bought a 2nd one for my Forester, I realized I would never use a hose on one of these things. Thus, I bought the plain F-108 (no long or short nipple).

If I sold my vehicles, I would probably pull the drain valves & put the drain plug back in. It's possible one may fit a future vehicle.

I did my own oil changes without the drain valves for decades, but I find the drain valve to be convenient. Like I have already said, I have done 15 oil changes on my Mirage. I would say the last 12 or so have been with the valve. I think it simplifies the process some, but it's surely not necessary.

I slip under with a plastic tub & open the valve. While it's draining, I position a second tub under the oil filter. I remove my oil filters from the top. By the time, I change oil filters the draining is done. I slip back under the car to close the valve, pull out my pans, & I am done. My time under the car is a minute or two at most.

Most of all, I don't have to be concerned with the drain plug washers. I don't have to guess if this washer is still good, needs to be replaced, or even worry about purchasing them. I think that is why I spent the money on a valve more than anything.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (05-12-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I remove my oil filters from the top. By the time, I change oil filters the draining is done. I slip back under the car to close the valve, pull out my pans, & I am done.
    OMG! You forgot to put oil back in it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

mohammad (05-12-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    OMG! You forgot to put oil back in it!
    People put oil back in?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    That is not his concern. His concern is the position of the open/close valve lever once the valve is attached.

I can only speak from the experience of 2017 Mirage & 2011 Forester. The valve levers ended up on the top when I tightened it on, which means they are less likely to be hit by anything. They are well above the bottom of the oil pan.

If you didn't like the position, adding a second gasket/washer of some sort may do the trick.

I have the Fumoto F106S (short nipple if you wanted to attach a hose). If you are really concerned about this, you pay $6 extra for the F106SX. That design would allow you to position it where you want it. I know Eggman had that one on his Mirage. Since I am right handed, I tend to slide under the driver's side of the oil pan from the front. The F106SX would seem a bit awkward to manipulate in my opinion, but it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

5 Fumoto types below -

https://www.fumotousa.com/cars-picku...mirage-1-2l-l3
    If you got the F106SX valve can you rotate it up when not using it then rotate it downward when you want to change the oil without tools? otherwise this design would be worse no?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    If you got the F106SX valve can you rotate it up when not using it then rotate it downward when you want to change the oil without tools? otherwise this design would be worse no?
    I don't care for the F106SX design all that much. I just mentioned it as another option. I don't think it rotates after you tighten it down, but it does allow for some flexibility in where you may position it. It's more complicated than it needs to be in my opinion.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (05-13-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm probably going to stick with the stock drain plug. No point in over complicating things for no reason. If it ain't broke, don't fix it ��

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)