Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fumoto vs EZ

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Fumoto vs EZ

Looking for a Fumoto valve in Canada, I stumbled across this:
    https://ezoildrainvalve.com/index.html

Anyone have any comments or insights/experience?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 88coltturbo For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (05-12-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 88coltturbo View Post
    Looking for a Fumoto valve in Canada, I stumbled across this:
    https://ezoildrainvalve.com/index.html

Anyone have any comments or insights/experience?
    I'm using this brand in both my Mirages and my Vue. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This may not be the Mirage valve, it might the Saturn. I'm kinda hurried now so .....Anyhow, they work fine
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

88coltturbo (05-10-2023),CROSSBOLT (05-12-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I am also in Canada I use the Doorman twist drain i got off rockauto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWAuymY7hJ8
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I'm using this brand in both my Mirages and my Vue. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This may not be the Mirage valve, it might the Saturn. I'm kinda hurried now so .....Anyhow, they work fine
    The Aramox one you shared looks like a clone to the Fumoto valve. It even has the same black locking clip.

The Aramox, EZ Oil Drain, & Fumoto seem very similar to me.

The plastic Dorman one would concern me. Opening it seems too easy. For example - hitting a snow drift with it would concern me. Plastic may also crack & break more easily.

I hit a road gator really hard last summer. Semi truck tires exploded in front of me, and I couldn't swerve to avoid it because of heavy traffic. It gave the bottom of my front bumper some major road rash, & I could see the Dorman being destroyed by something like that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (05-11-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    I'm not against these drain valves. But they make me paranerd. I've just always stuck to the daggone free drain bolt. I find it easy to get to, and have got it down to getting only a very small amount of earl on 2 or 3 fingers pulling the bolt. No drips miss the drain pan. So for $30+ for the Fumoto, and for my OCD peace of mind, I have to just stick with the drain bolt. I am somewhat envious of you guys running these valves and can block it out of your mind and not worry about it getting damaged, or just being a POS and letting the oil drip out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

mohammad (05-11-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I'm not against these drain valves. But they make me paranerd. I've just always stuck to the daggone free drain bolt. I find it easy to get to, and have got it down to getting only a very small amount of earl on 2 or 3 fingers pulling the bolt. No drips miss the drain pan. So for $30+ for the Fumoto, and for my OCD peace of mind, I have to just stick with the drain bolt. I am somewhat envious of you guys running these valves and can block it out of your mind and not worry about it getting damaged, or just being a POS and letting the oil drip out.
    My Fumoto drain value doesn't extend out below the oil pain on either of my vehicles. I've been changing oil for decades & never tried one until my Mirage. I've done 15 oil changes on my Mirage so far. I've become a fan. I don't have to worry about washers (even though I never worried that much about them).

The Fumoto type values are quite short and remain tucked in above the bottom of the pan pretty much. If I didn't feel 100% comfortable with it, I wouldn't have bought a 2nd one for my Forester.

If you're someone who changes cars every few years or has someone else do their oil changes, it's not worth it. For an old geezer like me who doesn't know what to do with all the extra money he saved by buying a Mirage, it's worth it!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-11-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    My Fumoto drain value doesn't extend out below the oil pain on either of my vehicles. I've been changing oil for decades & never tried one until my Mirage. I've done 15 oil changes on my Mirage so far. I've become a fan. I don't have to worry about washers (even though I never worried that much about them).

The Fumoto type values are quite short and remain tucked in above the bottom of the pan pretty much. If I didn't feel 100% comfortable with it, I wouldn't have bought a 2nd one for my Forester.

If you're someone who changes cars every few years or has someone else do their oil changes, it's not worth it. For an old geezer like me who doesn't know what to do with all the extra money he saved by buying a Mirage, it's worth it!
    Same deal here, because the Aramox tucked up nicely under the Mirage pan I bought another one for my Vue. I'm going to order one for my Puma and probably get one for my main Burgman. It's so convenient not needing any tools to do an oil change. I have no issue going on a long road trip with an oil change coming up. I'll just do it on the road.

ETA: I knew these valves existed years ago and I'm sorry I didn't adopt them back then. Better late than never I guess.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just wanna know how you guarantee the Fumoto (or other) is pointed at the bottom when tight???

Like I seriously don't get it... no way the threads are always perfect...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    I just wanna know how you guarantee the Fumoto (or other) is pointed at the bottom when tight???

its not about perfection the factory drain plug threads don't always start at the same place. There is no guarantee that the valve won't end up at the bottom after tightened. If it did you could always use a thicker or thinner washer, or over tighten it? or you could use a vale that does not have this issue like I did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWAuymY7hJ8
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post

Basic - I'm not sure what you mean. Maybe I need to look at these things again. Do you mean threading the fumoto in where the threads of the valve are "proud" of the bottom surface of the pan? Therefore, not completely draining?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)