Thread: CVT Fluid Flush

Country
    Pakistan
    Thanks

Exclamation CVT Fluid Flush

Hi, This is my first time posting on this forum so please forgive me if i am not adhering to the rules.

I recently bought a mirage 1.0L 2012 model with 100000 km on it and wanted to change the transmission fluid, so when i checked the fluid it was reddish and i think the OEM is either green or blue. I think the previous owner had put in the transmission fluid of lancer. Now i was wondering what are my options. Attached pictures below.

Should i just drain the fluid in it and change the filter? I think that would not get all the fluid out.
    I have about 4 liter of fluid, the CVFT OEM one and the filter sitting at home but i wanted to get some insight before i went ahead and did something.

I am not getting any errors on the scanner tho.

BTW, i am from Pakistan and there aren't many technician available here who understand all these technicalities so i would have to tell them everything.
    Name:  WhatsApp Image 2023-05-12 at 7.03.46 PM.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  92.4 KBName:  WhatsApp Image 2023-05-12 at 7.03.45 PM.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  108.2 KB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to msamoeed For This Useful Post:

BigMW (05-12-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think the correct fluid looks fairly similar, the greenish tint immediately leaves the fluid once you drive and it mixes with all the old fluid in the transmission.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Welcome! That kinda looks like atf to me too. There might be aftermarket cvt fluid that has a red tinge? I dunno.... The factory stuff does have a bit of a blueish/green tinge to it when used. New looks almost clear. The Klondike brand universal cvt fluid that I use looks like engine oil, gold with no blue or green tinge.

If in doubt I'd probably change it. As for how much fluid comes out. 2.5L should come out from the drain plug with the car level (not jacked up in the front). I can't remember how much comes out from dropping the pan and filter(metal strainer). I started making a video of a car I'm messing with at work but it's been 2 weeks in the making and I haven't had time to do anything. I did measure how much fluid came out, I'll try to find it this weekend if I can. I usually measure what comes out but if you're dealing with a car that may not have ever had the proper fluid or level then that might not work out so well.

It's pretty much impossible to flush the fluid on these Mirage Cvt's unless you remove the heat exchanger on the front of the transmission and use somthing like this (don't buy this, I'm pretty sure it's not the correct part. It's just an example of what's needed no make flushing possible).
    There is another forum member who had someone put atf in their cvt and they started having overheating problems which may or may not be related.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Pakistan
    Thanks
    Hi. thanks a lot for your response.
    I went ahead and got the oil changed, i think around 3 liter came out and i put the same quantity back in. Although this new oil was blueish but after getting mixed with the red oil, it looks the same to me.

I checked it after driving and getting it up the required temperature. Its almost perfect to what is required.
    Hoping this wont mess up with the existing oil that was already inside the transmission.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to msamoeed For This Useful Post:

mohammad (05-13-2023)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    When I replaced my CVT oil, I also dropped the oil pan to replace the screen filter inside. I drained just shy of 4 liters in total (I drained everything into a 5 liter measuring cup to make sure the same amount goes in again).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bnas For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-15-2023)