Thread: Wheel speed sensor code????

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Wheel speed sensor code????

I was driving and noticed that several lights came on all at once. They were ABS, traction control, and traction control off. I had the code read and it showed up as a wheel speed sensor for the rear right wheel. I looked up this part for me 2015 DE and got several results off the internet. Some show it as a basic magnetic pickup kinda like a crank position sensor. Others show it as an assembly that is wheel specific and must be specified for the rear right wheel. What part do I need and where is a good place to get it? Also, is there anything else I should check before buying it?

These lights had come on in the past but went out before I could have the code read. Now they are on about half the time for the last 2-3 days.

Is this under warranty for a 2015 with 70,000+ miles on it?

Also, does anyone recommend a decent inexpensive code scanner that reads all the codes applicable to these cars? How about a USB or Bluetooth one that interfaces with your phone or a computer?

Thanks,

Conor

Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    I was driving and noticed that several lights came on all at once. They were ABS, traction control, and traction control off. I had the code read and it showed up as a wheel speed sensor for the rear right wheel. I looked up this part for me 2015 DE and got several results off the internet. Some show it as a basic magnetic pickup kinda like a crank position sensor. Others show it as an assembly that is wheel specific and must be specified for the rear right wheel. What part do I need and where is a good place to get it? Also, is there anything else I should check before buying it?

These lights had come on in the past but went out before I could have the code read. Now they are on about half the time for the last 2-3 days.

Is this under warranty for a 2015 with 70,000+ miles on it?

Also, does anyone recommend a decent inexpensive code scanner that reads all the codes applicable to these cars? How about a USB or Bluetooth one that interfaces with your phone or a computer?

Thanks,

Conor
    The most common abs code that I've seen on the Mirages was caused by a broken wire leading to the sensor. Could be anything, prepare the parts cannon.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Conor - I have a BT ELM 327 (I think 327 is the number). I've swapped it to probably all my cars and it works. And it is inexpensive. $10 to $15. And there are several smartphone apps that work. I use either the torque app, or an app called Carista. I think Carista was originally made to work with Lexus LS vehicles, but could be wrong about that. That same Carista app works on most my cars too, just not as functional as it works with my LS 460L. I'm sure there are plenty of free smartphone apps, better than what I have too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    ...a wheel speed sensor for the rear right wheel.
    ...Some show it as a basic magnetic pickup kinda like a crank position sensor.
    Here's what your right rear looks like with the drum off (this is my own 2015)...

Name:  wheel_speed_sensor_2.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  86.9 KB

The wheel speed sensor is in the yellow box...sticking out of the backing plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    ...prepare the parts cannon.
    LOL...

If you decide to hang a new part, it looks like this is what you might need (Mitsubishi part #4670B082)...

Name:  4670B082.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  92.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

BigMW (05-15-2023),Fummins (05-15-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks. I am going to check for loose or damaged wires first once this rain clears up. I was wondering about something likes this due to the intermittent nature of the codes. Now they do not seem so intermittent.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Here's a basic check you can do just to verify the sensor isn't open internally. I have a front wheel speed sensor for a Mirage laying here on my desk. It's got 2 pins in the connector. Just measure the resistance across the 2 pins. If the meter shows it as an open circuit, the sensor is junk.

You can see my front sensor measures 6.25 mega ohms of resistance...

Name:  resistance.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  97.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

BigMW (05-16-2023),CROSSBOLT (05-16-2023),strawboss (09-26-2023)