Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mirage Cvt replacement how to

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Here, these guys show 2 2014 5 speeds in stock on car-part.com Both listed for $200cad. They're about an 1 1/2hr north east of Tronna.
    I only get this when searching for any year 2014- 5MTName:  image_2023-06-02_150554414.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  99.5 KB

I DID search for 2014,15,16,17 all asked me to fill a form.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Swear when you drop your tools/bolts in the drain pan full of coolant and/or oil. Then drink beer. Maybe it'll be magically fixed when you wake up on the floor the next day.

Stranger things have happened
    Just don't screw up by drinking the coolant and pouring the beer into the rad.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I only get this when searching for any year 2014- 5MTName:  image_2023-06-02_150554414.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  99.5 KB

I DID search for 2014,15,16,17 all asked me to fill a form.
    Oh....That's kinda weird. Somethings up with the hollander system that wreckers/car-part uses and Mitsubishi's. It's been this way forever on most models. Mitsu doesn't supply part numbers or interchanges for their parts so they rely on wrecker supplied interchange info instead for most parts for the Mirage. Sometimes it's not 100% accurate.

Go to car-part.com, look it up again. It probably won't give you the option of at or mt, click the lower box that gives you an option to select a range of years. Pick 2014-2023 then weed through the descriptions until you spot one that shows 5spd or MT.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Found them, 60K miles or so, close to me.
    I'd love to experiment but I'd still need to order the EU diff, bet that costs a buck or two delivered, then find the time to do the work. It looks like this year will be bringing my house back into shape. Spending 5 years recovering from several serious surgeries, a coma, broken bones, I feel like 20 yr. NFL linebacker, all beat to crap. No, the house must be my priority. I love a presentable place and always had one the best kept houses on the street. If I find time I'll work on my 2014 Mirage, my sway bar idea, re-examine my turbo thoughts and mount the AC I ordered in my Puma. That's more than enough for one season.

Yeah, would be best to find someone over there like foama to source one and ship just the parts you'd need to keep shipping cost's down. Even then it probably wouldn't be cheap to send a couple gears over seas.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I tried to record as much as I could while replacing that cvt the other month. I haven't gotten to making a video yet...But now I have another 2017 on the hoist with around 242k miles 390k km that's going get a cvt transplant. Driver was complaining about it surging while getting up to highway speeds 60-70mph. Said it's been acting up for over a year....Good to know....I took it for a drive and it felt fine to me for the first 20 mins. I decided to keep on going to try to figure out wth the driver was complaining about. I started slowing to 50mph then flooring it up to 70mph and once it got over 5000rpm it felt like it was slipping, it'd start bucking like it was hitting a rev limiter and it was slowing down. Otherwise it seemed ok for the most part and drove fine around 50. I pulled the pan and there is more fuzz on the magnets than I like to see. Some very fine pieces that look like strands of wire too.

It might last another year or another day. It's making metal so I'm just gonna replace it.

And I got a call about a 2015 that's 4hrs or so away with cvt issues too. The fluid level was likely incorrect due to people trying to be a big helper and just dumping fluid in, a shop ended up doing a drain and refill last week or so. Car drove fine until today and it's acting like it's in neutral sometimes while stopped. Not sure if I should send them a used valve body to try or just grab the car and replace the cvt and be done with it.

And I have 2 engines I want to replace too. They both are pretty knocky, one more than the other. Ones a 2015 with over 500k km and the other a 2017 with barely 300k km(hard rented mule kms!).
    As great as these are, nothing last's forever and they all can't be winners lol Most not all of these are beat to snot daily so they're still doing great considering nobody seems to care about them.

It's out. Took aboot 3hrs-ish I think.Attachment 25478
    Last edited by Fummins; 07-04-2023 at 10:04 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-04-2023)

Should I have started another thread for this one? Oh well... I just finished bolting this cvt up. I installed a cvt from a 2015 into a 2017. The DS mode seems to work. While I had the throttle body unbolted(and hanging by the coolant lines), I cleaned it up with combustion chamber cleaner. I'm not sure if I messed it up or not cause it seems to idle close to 1400rpm while in drive with no pedals pushed. It' kinda hangs up there in neutral til I hit the brakes, then returns to normal idle. I'll take it for a drive after lunch and hope it's fine. Otherwise I'll throw a t-body at it. I didn't mark the transmission that I installed so I don't know how many miles are on it so that's fun.