Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Money.com Best autos of 2023 includes Mirage & Outlander PHEV

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Unfortunately, dspace9, a PHEV Mirage would cost about 2x the usual cost of an ICE-only Mirage. A $35k Mirage is probably a non-starter (pun so good).

A better bet would be a used PHEV Prius or Chevy Volt.

If you're asking: "does the car burn fuel to recharge the battery back up to full once it's depleted from driving in electric mode?" Answer is: "not under default settings". Some PHEV's do have this option, but the driver has to specifically command it.

Most PHEV's -- after depleting the battery driving on electric power -- just revert to traditional hybrid operation when the battery gets low. (IE. mostly powered by the combustion engine, with some e-assist for short distances.)

Speaking of the Prius...

Has everyone seen the new one? HOLY CRAP it's sexy! It's like Toyota said "OK, after 4 generations, we give up trying to design an attractive Prius. Telsa, would you please design it for us? "

Attachment 25254

Attachment 25255
    Yeah, I was somewhat interested in the new prius a when I first saw them. The regular prius is only available in awd in Canada and the cost is similar to the phev(fwd only) after factoring in the $5000 gov rebate(and whatever prov rebates). I watched a few reviews that complained about head room and the cluster being in a dumb spot. They're supposed to be quicker than the old Prius(and Mirage). If I'm gonna spend $40k on something, I don't think it's going to be a Prius. I'd consider a buying a used, more hated car that had a sticker price of over $100k new instead, with more features, more power but no gas. After last weekend, I'm not sure I could could replace my crappy car with a full ev though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I missed your story about last weekend! Link?

They're supposed to be quicker than the old Prius
    Yeah, big power bump - it's now ~200 vs ~120 in the last gen. That's gas only. The PHEV is probably even faster. (Toyota's quickest 0-60 car is currently the PHEV RAV4... not counting the BMW Supra.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post

Lots of PHEV owners claim not having to gas up in weeks or months at a time.
    I talked to a BMW PHEV owner a couple of weeks ago who said he hadn't gassed up since January!

Here's my PHEV...

I've put 500 km on it since late last summer.

Thread: I bought an E.V.! (... a cheap used e-mountain bike)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Pretty rad to see the Mirage get some recognition. Even at today’s inflated prices it is still the best value going for a brand new car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage BE 1.2 automatic: 36.5 mpg (US) ... 15.5 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 43.8 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rohoGames For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-29-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I missed your story about last weekend! Link?
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...l=1#post152762
    4 days of beverly hillbillys/national lampoons vacation. I've got a lot of clips and pics to go through. 5 memory cards and 3 phones to sift through between me, the kiddo and my friend we picked up along the way! Had the car loaded with 950lbs ish when we left the city then headed 3hrs west to pick up my friend and loaded him and his gear weighing another 3-400lbs lol. It ran like a champ and did everything we asked of it, 94.9% of the time. Then we had to do some weight reduction and power assist mods on the fly. I'm not a fan of tent camping since we have the big ol' family glamper to tow around but this trip was one of the best and cost next to nothing!

I threw a few clips on the lubetube as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-29-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    I believe putting ev equipment on a mirage would kill off this little car quickly. These are my reasons:
    1. Increased cost
    2. Increased weight
    3. Decreased gas fuel efficiency
    4. Decreased reliability
    5. Increased complexity
    6. Space issues - where on a mirage would you put any of that???

I want my mirage to be inexpensive, bulletproof, simple. Period.
    (so take away power windows and rain sensing crap)
    I agree with all that but number 3. I think it would wind up with increased mpg. But at what cost? It wouldn't be worth it (to me) for all the reasons you stated.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

BigMW (05-30-2023),inuvik (05-30-2023)