Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Money.com Best autos of 2023 includes Mirage & Outlander PHEV

Money.com Best autos of 2023 includes Mirage & Outlander PHEV

2023 Mitsubishi Outlander Plug-in Hybrid & Mirage Honored by Money.com Among “Best Autos of 2023” Awards

People who are smart about money give the Mirage the nod for "best value" among 4 subcompacts available in the U.S.

Subcompact Cars

Mitsubishi Mirage Best Value
    Kia Rio
    MINI Hardtop
    Nissan Versa

---------

Press release from Mitsu USA:

May 25, 2023 — FRANKLIN, Tenn.

• 2023 Outlander Plug-in Hybrid adds to its trophy case with Best for Safety Award
    • 2023 Mirage named Best Value for a subcompact car.

Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA), today announced its popular Outlander Plug-in Hybrid SUV and Mirage subcompact won two of Money’s Best Autos of 2023 awards. Mitsubishi Motors’ flagship Outlander Plug-in Hybrid added to its growing list of awards, earning Money’s Best for Safety honor in the Plug-in Hybrid SUV category, and the 2023 Mirage took top honors for Best Value for a subcompact car.

Money’s Best Autos of 2023 safety category included assessments focused, in part, on standard and additional safety features available for each vehicle, including forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking, and adaptive cruise control. Testing also took into account the performance of headlights in independent testing. When evaluating pricing and value, the publication began with each vehicle’s starting price along with trim levels that offer the best value and cost of ownership. In addition, Money.com utilized ownership data from Kelley Blue Book, including depreciation and residual value over time, insurance costs, reliability, and likely cost of repairs.

"Both the Outlander Plug-in Hybrid and Mirage nameplates are worthy of the recognition they have received in recent years in the categories of safety and value, respectively,” said Mark Chaffin, President and CEO, MMNA.

"Outlander Plug-in Hybrid’s mission is to introduce a road to electrification for e-curious families while we offer Mirage as a first or next automotive purchase with value top of mind. With a host of advanced safety systems offered as standard on both models, we continue to pioneer the industry with forward-thinking approaches at all price points."

As the best-equipped Mitsubishi ever sold in the U.S., the Outlander Family offers an impressive array of standard and available driver assistance systems for driver confidence and convenience. The 2023 Outlander Plug-in Hybrid offers up to 38 miles of all-electric range, up to 420 miles of overall range1, and is the only plug-in hybrid on the market with available DC fast-charging capability (SEL and above models), which can fill the 20kWh battery pack to 80% capacity in just 38 minutes.2 All models also feature Mitsubishi's new "Innovative Pedal" technology, which allows near-one-pedal acceleration and deceleration, similar to full battery electric vehicles.3 This system further differentiates the Outlander Plug-in Hybrid from other plug-in hybrids and highlights the vehicle's electric-first design philosophy.

The Mitsubishi Mirage – the most fuel-efficient, non-hybrid, gasoline-fueled new car sold in America4 – heads into 2023 following a recent redesign that included significant exterior styling updates and added and upgraded technology, including standard advanced safety features, Apple CarPlay®5 and Android Auto™6 compatibility. Combined with its sedan counterpart, the 2023 Mitsubishi Mirage G4, both vehicles offer buyers a compelling blend of updated styling, enhanced safety, versatility, and value.

“If safety is at the top of your list, the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is a solid pick for the category,” said automotive journalist Jaclyn Trop of Money.com. In terms of the Mitsubishi Mirage, Trop went on to say, “Priced from little more than $16,245, the Mitsubishi Mirage is an economical subcompact car with excellent fuel efficiency.”

https://media.mitsubishicars.com/en-...of-2023-awards

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-25-2023),jonesboro (05-26-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    This makes me think that the ultimate Mirage would be a plug-in hybrid. I could power my commute all week on battery, and then have my little 3 cylinder for weekend trips, and unlimited range.

I hope car companies start importing (or locally manufacturing) small and cheap plug-in hybrid cars.

Because I think plug-in hybrid is the best of both worlds. I could run tailpipe-emissions-free all week.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Does a plug-in hybrid also attempt to keep itself charged, like a Prius? In my experience, I don't think they do. The Volt was a plug in type hybrid. Still, I think the Volt remains the best most useable concept to date. In summary, I agree with you dspace9.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

I would assume any hybrid, plug in or not would have regen braking that would use the electric motor as a generator to charge the battery under deceleration.
    It's not a hybrid, but there's that 3 wheeled car that's been talked about for a while that's claimed to be able to go up to 1000miles on a single charge(likely in idea always sunny, flat road conditions), up to 40 miles a day of solar powered driving. Again, likely in ideal conditions, but still sounds kinda neat. That would be ideal for backroad trips into bf nowhere when fuel stations are spread out. No need to carry extra fuel...Changing a tire might be a little more involved though. https://aptera.us/ And being 3 wheeled, I wonder if you'd need a motor-sicle license.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Unfortunately, dspace9, a PHEV Mirage would cost about 2x the usual cost of an ICE-only Mirage. A $35k Mirage is probably a non-starter (pun so good).

A better bet would be a used PHEV Prius or Chevy Volt.

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Does a plug-in hybrid also attempt to keep itself charged, like a Prius? In my experience, I don't think they do. The Volt was a plug in type hybrid. Still, I think the Volt remains the best most useable concept to date. In summary, I agree with you dspace9.
    If you're asking: "does the car burn fuel to recharge the battery back up to full once it's depleted from driving in electric mode?" Answer is: "not under default settings". Some PHEV's do have this option, but the driver has to specifically command it.

Most PHEV's -- after depleting the battery driving on electric power -- just revert to traditional hybrid operation when the battery gets low. (IE. mostly powered by the combustion engine, with some e-assist for short distances.)

Speaking of the Prius...

Has everyone seen the new one? HOLY CRAP it's sexy! It's like Toyota said "OK, after 4 generations, we give up trying to design an attractive Prius. Telsa, would you please design it for us? "

Name:  Opera Snapshot_2023-05-26_092705_www.cars.com.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  39.3 KB

Name:  Opera Snapshot_2023-05-26_092540_hips.hearstapps.com.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  35.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-26-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Maybe a used PHEV Outlander is an option too eh.

But if money weren't a factor, I'd buy the Mazda PHEV with the rotary engine, and run the rotary engine during weekend jaunts, and the plug in battery all week.

The Prius is an interesting car. I believe you can get hybrid and PHEV. Does look way better now than the first generation, the one Larry drove on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,012 Posts
    As I understand the wankel in the new Mazda PHEV will have no direct connection to the drivetrain. But I may have misunderstood.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I believe putting ev equipment on a mirage would kill off this little car quickly. These are my reasons:
    1. Increased cost
    2. Increased weight
    3. Decreased gas fuel efficiency
    4. Decreased reliability
    5. Increased complexity
    6. Space issues - where on a mirage would you put any of that???

I want my mirage to be inexpensive, bulletproof, simple. Period.
    (so take away power windows and rain sensing crap)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.9 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Most PHEVs have a large enough battery which allows them to go on full EV mode.

Mitsu's very own Outlander PHEV have 3 options something like:
    1. EV Only
    2. Hybrid (auto)
    3. Charge (prioritize full battery)

Lots of PHEV owners claim not having to gas up in weeks or months at a time. Since I already have a travel vehicle (Passport), I'm hoping my next vehicle purchase is EV.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Metro I saw a new Prius in person yesterday in White, and it wasn't nearly as good looking as I hoped. I think color will play a big part.

That said, I would consider one if it wasn't so expensive... but as it stands, I would much rather pay 6 grand cash for a 50k mile Mirage

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-26-2023)