Thread: CVT Transmission Fluid Replacement

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

CVT Transmission Fluid Replacement

My Mirage is close to 30K miles, and the CVT's been feeling a bit notchy lately, and the fluid is not as clear as it used to be.

I'm thinking of bringing it in to the dealership to have the transmission fluid replaced - does anyone know how much it should approximately cost? Do I also need to get the filter replaced?

If they just do a drain and refill it'll take 2 1/2 qts/liters. Filters are up to you. The highest mileage cvt in the fleet(over 500k km/310k miles) has never had a cvt filter replaced. Just fluid changes from the drain plug or the odd drop the pan to get a bit more out. And I thin I pulled and disassembled the valve body once too?

What it should and will cost are two different things...
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

craigq (07-01-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  8872443.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  94.0 KB

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dookaughs For This Useful Post:

craigq (07-01-2023),mohammad (07-01-2023),Top_Fuel (07-01-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    At my dealership we use the following procedure:

-Drain from plug, then remove pan to get extra quart out
    -Replace the internal filter assembly
    -clean the inside of the pan and the magnets
    -install pan and fill with 5.4 quarts of fluid
    -run in forward and reverse gears several times on the lift to get new fluid in all internal areas
    -drain from the plug only
    -refill the the correct amount of 2.6 quarts
    -reset the fluid degradation counter with the factory scan tool

I'm pretty sure we charge $379 for that. On the other cars that all have external filters, we offer an increased version of the service that replaces them as well.

We do these services so often that the fluid occasionally goes on backorder and we have to use an extremely high quality aftermarket fluid made by BG.
    Mitsu master tech since 2009, German car guy, recently bought a 14 Mirage 5spd with 145k. Youtube Channel

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 30.5 mpg (US) ... 13.0 km/L ... 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fopeano For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-25-2023)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fopeano View Post
    At my dealership we use the following procedure:

-Drain from plug, then remove pan to get extra quart out
    -Replace the internal filter assembly
    -clean the inside of the pan and the magnets
    -install pan and fill with 5.4 quarts of fluid
    -run in forward and reverse gears several times on the lift to get new fluid in all internal areas
    -drain from the plug only
    -refill the the correct amount of 2.6 quarts
    -reset the fluid degradation counter with the factory scan tool

I'm pretty sure we charge $379 for that. On the other cars that all have external filters, we offer an increased version of the service that replaces them as well.

We do these services so often that the fluid occasionally goes on backorder and we have to use an extremely high quality aftermarket fluid made by BG.
    $379 and that doesn't include filter changes? Too rich for my blood, Aamco uses OEM fluid and does both filters for $130 less. Does your CVT service include "Raillart" decals or something?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes it does, and thank god for that because we definitely don't include filter changes. Luckily you have the experience of taking your car to AAMCO and having them tell you several things you surely made the due diligence to verify. You saw both used filters that came out and the many empty containers of dealer CVT fluid (MZ320185) that were poured into your transmission. I stand corrected, and I'll report to my service team in the morning that it turns out that we are engaging in unethical business practices on this matter.

(I can't help this response, I'm an extremely jaded a hole)
    Last edited by Fopeano; 07-25-2023 at 03:15 AM.
    Mitsu master tech since 2009, German car guy, recently bought a 14 Mirage 5spd with 145k. Youtube Channel

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 30.5 mpg (US) ... 13.0 km/L ... 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fopeano View Post
    Yes it does, and thank god for that because we definitely don't include filter changes. Luckily you have the experience of taking your car to AAMCO and having them tell you several things you surely made the due diligence to verify. You saw both used filters that came out and the many empty containers of dealer CVT fluid (MZ320185) that were poured into your transmission. I stand corrected, and I'll report to my service team in the morning that it turns out that we are engaging in unethical business practices on this matter.

(I can't help this response, I'm an extremely jaded a hole)
    Lol just breakin' balls over here. I'm sorry if I offended. It's hard to convey tone thru writing, if it wasn't you'd of seen I was just kidding around. Name:  download.jpeg.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  18.9 KB

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Something doesnt add up. I paid for OEM Mitsubishi fluid and filters at my dealer around 180€ before tax. Not including labour or any other expenses as I did the fluid and filter replacement myself.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Little Boy Blue. He needed the money. OH!!!!!

Thanks for clearing that up. No offense taken, I'm just a dick, lol

Last edited by Fopeano; 07-25-2023 at 02:02 PM.