Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought today in VA

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Wink Bought today in VA

Hello. I've been lurking a while on geometroforum.com, which is how I came across you guys. My Metro dreams were short lived due to engine problems, and I'm exhausted dealing with previously mistreated beaters, so I decided to buy a new Mirage.

I ended up with a White manual DE with bluetooth. Got it for $13,300 out the door. I've only had it for 3-4 hours so I can't say much, but I think I love it.

I intend to hang here a bit, do some mild aero and asthetic modding, and report my experience to the community.

What I want to do:
    1. Buy a scanguage
    2. Partial grill block
    3. Smooth out existing or buy flat hubcaps/racing discs
    4. Cover rear wheel wells
    5. Replace side mirrors with interior mirrors
    6. Replace rear view mirror with larger or panoramic
    7. Paint door handles and gas cap cover/door black
    8. Fill any gaps with... something.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you guys for putting so much information out here to aid me in what I believe will be a great decision to purchase this car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey there, Hipomus. I like your list of mods. Have fun with the car and share your ideas/results with us.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hipomus View Post
    Hello. I've been lurking a while on geometroforum.com, which is how I came across you guys. My Metro dreams were short lived due to engine problems, and I'm exhausted dealing with previously mistreated beaters, so I decided to buy a new Mirage.

I ended up with a White manual DE with bluetooth. Got it for $13,300 out the door. I've only had it for 3-4 hours so I can't say much, but I think I love it.

I intend to hang here a bit, do some mild aero and asthetic modding, and report my experience to the community.

What I want to do:
    1. Buy a scanguage
    2. Partial grill block
    3. Smooth out existing or buy flat hubcaps/racing discs
    4. Cover rear wheel wells
    5. Replace side mirrors with interior mirrors
    6. Replace rear view mirror with larger or panoramic
    7. Paint door handles and gas cap cover/door black
    8. Fill any gaps with... something.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you guys for putting so much information out here to aid me in what I believe will be a great decision to purchase this car.
    Hi there, congrats on your purchase. By point 8 ... which gaps you mean? this car is full of gaps. The recent filling I done was to fill the gaps around the front glass. Noticed not much difference but it's apparently used to breathe, my front window gets foggy very quickly now.
    Done number 6 with 40 cm panoramic Broadway mirror, just love it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

My Metro dreams were short lived due to engine problems, and I'm exhausted dealing with previously mistreated beaters, so I decided to buy a new Mirage.
    You got a "new and improved" Metro! Congratulations on the purchase and nice price.

That makes three (?) Metro fans on this forum now, including me. I'm still driving my '98 Metro (Firefly) 1.0L, 5MT.

Looking forward to your progress. Welcome to the forum.

Darin

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome.

Although it would definitely be cheaper to buy flat wheel covers, I wonder if one can get more MPGs out of lighter race wheels?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Congrats . Keep us updated on the gas mileage , etc.. Be nice if someone would post pics of the display showing the overall gas mileage and miles on that tank of gas .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    m4v3r1ck: by gaps I mean anything I can find. I haven't really looked the car over yet, but I did note the fog light placeholders. Around the headlights if necessary, possibly even the hood(obviously not sealed, but filled?). Someone mentioned caulking door gaps and slitting with a razor blade to keep it functional... that intrigued me. Probably not the wind shield now that you mention fog... I'm already really picky about vision, so fog is a dirty word to me.

MetroMPG: Thank you, and that's why I bought it. Pretty much a fresh copy of the Metro. Are you the MetroMPG.com guy? If so, you're like my fuel efficiency niche hero, and a big part of, if not the reason I'm here today and planning to mod.

Ares: Lighter wheels will certainly help, but the question is how long will it take for you to make back the money spent on them? Personally I've had bad experiences with alloy wheels bending and costing me more money. I stick with steel for durability and cheapness.

Cinder: I will. I deliver pizzas, so nearly all of my miles are city(ish) driving. After my first day doing that I'm averaging ~44.5mpg(us). I'll see if I can't take a picture tomorrow. I found that the MPG guage reset overnight last night. I'm not sure if it was a fluke or something wrong, or maybe I'd used so little fuel so far it thought I was starting fresh? I was averaging ~42mpg last night which was about 60% my wife's driving.

Edit:
    fifteenwindow: Thanks. I will! (didn't want to leave you out!)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Cinder: I will. I deliver pizzas, so nearly all of my miles are city(ish) driving. After my first day doing that I'm averaging ~44.5mpg(us). I'll see if I can't take a picture tomorrow. I found that the MPG guage reset overnight last night. I'm not sure if it was a fluke or something wrong, or maybe I'd used so little fuel so far it thought I was starting fresh? I was averaging ~42mpg last night which was about 60% my wife's driving.

Edit:
    fifteenwindow: Thanks. I will! (didn't want to leave you out!)
    A gauge resets every 4 hours of idle. B gauge is lifetime use

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've been trying to come up with a way to seal those fog light placeholders, too, but haven't found one yet. I tried some rubber weatherstripping in the cracks, but it wouldn't stay put. Let us know what you come up with.

I sealed up the hood/apron/headlight gap with a bicycle innertube and some pipe insulation. Check the pics in my garage, under "nameless".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Congrats on the new Mirage! It really is the new Metro, and improved IMO. Much safer, much more solid feeling. Much less rust prone!

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)