Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Mirage ES Clutch Replacement

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

2017 Mirage ES Clutch Replacement

My 2017 Mirage has been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. It is now almost 7 years old and has 150,000 miles. I love this car so much we bought a 2023 G4 Black Edition. Last week my Mirage was warning me of an issue. I was have a little bit of a gear engagement issue when stopped and then when pushing the clutch pedal all the way down it would make a grinding noise and not go into gear. If I let up a little on the clutch the noise would go away and I could engage a gear. Two days ago it became apparent that the clutch disk or one of the clutch springs broke since it got louder and could not engage any gear with engine running.

I see there is no guide or "How-To" on this so I will try and make one as I tackle this job next week. I know the tranny is fine and also know the clutch was not worn out since it never slipped. It is a mechanical failure. I am not sure if I will make a video or picture thread yet.

I could not source a new clutch kit from any of my local vendors including NAPA, Advantage, CarQuest, Advance, O'Reiley, etc, so I ordered the best one I could find on Amazon.............

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A9IGFHG9&psc=1

I will keep you all updated.

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-01-2023),inuvik (06-01-2023),jonesboro (06-01-2023),ThunderG (06-02-2023),Top_Fuel (06-02-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good luck to you Johnny! Please provide updates when possible! I ordered the same clutch kit and while my 22 ES is hopefully many miles away from needing replaced your posts will help when the time comes.

I did manage to find these youtube videos of guys doing a clutch swap on a G4 but it's mostly not in English and the camera work is pretty bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbSAdHhVFvM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klNuiCtZi-A&t=57s
    2022 Mirage ES [5MT/Infrared/OEM+] / 2015 CR-V EX [CVT/Black Pearl/Modded]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jonesboro For This Useful Post:

Johnny Mullet (06-01-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I will take what I can get. Thanks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Auto Zone seems to keep Mirage clutches in stock, but they are priced a bit higher.

Duralast Clutch NU32-05142 = $221.99 with a limited lifetime warranty

Auto Zone price is cheaper than the two rockauto.com clutch kits in stock, but I didn't compare differences in shipping cost. I take that back. I put the Auto Zone Duralast Clutch in the cart. Shipping is $4.99 if I wanted it by June 2nd & free shipping for June 8th.

One is in stock at a store about 145 miles away from me, too!

I hope your repair goes well!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesboro View Post
    Good luck to you Johnny! Please provide updates when possible! I ordered the same clutch kit and while my 22 ES is hopefully many miles away from needing replaced your posts will help when the time comes.

I did manage to find these youtube videos of guys doing a clutch swap on a G4 but it's mostly not in English and the camera work is pretty bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbSAdHhVFvM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klNuiCtZi-A&t=57s
    These are both in Filipino.

If you get stuck in a part of the video that you want translated, let me know.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-01-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Johnny - I'm going to guess that the pilot bearing done got busted. I had a pilot bearing get busted in my Cummins Ram, and it acted like that. But I could be wrong.

The root cause of why your clutch has failed is simple. I've explained this before. I found out that when a 5MT Mirage HB or 5MT G4 comes off the line, and it tests in the top 5% of all quality checks and tests, the Mitsubishi plant ships those vehicles to the Tsukuba Circuit in Japan. Of those that arrive and are tested at the track, the top 1% performers based on lap times, are sent back to the original plant to be (re)painted in blue. Mitsubishi leadership refers to these Mirages as "Top Guns" since they love American movies. The ones that don't make the top 1% cut are left in their original color shipped to and dumped out on the shores of Mogadishu.

It's due to the fact that the stock rated clutch, cannot stand up to the abusive power that blue 5MT Mirages put out.

Racecars generally always require more operational expense. All the previous info is researched / confirmed facts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Basic (06-01-2023),jonesboro (06-01-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Johnny - I'm going to guess that the pilot bearing done got busted. I had a pilot bearing get busted in my Cummins Ram, and it acted like that. But I could be wrong.

The root cause of why your clutch has failed is simple. I've explained this before. I found out that when a 5MT Mirage HB or 5MT G4 comes off the line, and it tests in the top 5% of all quality checks and tests, the Mitsubishi plant ships those vehicles to the Tsukuba Circuit in Japan. Of those that arrive and are tested at the track, the top 1% performers based on lap times, are sent back to the original plant to be (re)painted in blue. Mitsubishi leadership refers to these Mirages as "Top Guns" since they love American movies. The ones that don't make the top 1% cut are left in their original color shipped to and dumped out on the shores of Mogadishu.

It's due to the fact that the stock rated clutch, cannot stand up to the abusive power that blue 5MT Mirages put out.

Racecars generally always require more operational expense. All the previous info is researched / confirmed facts.
    I actually considered a Sapphire Blue G4 when shopping for the new car, but could not find a blue Black Edition.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    WTF?

Amazon canada clutchhttps://www.amazon.ca/LTPREMIUM-compatible-2015-2021-Attitude-2015-2020/dp/B0BHC3NZD3/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2V1UVYF2031R4&keywords=mirage+clut ch&qid=1685844021&sprefix=mirage+clutch%2Caps%2C11 6&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.c1b088f5-04b2-4ab6-9d7a-b4ccd9a2b544

$115 CDN.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Starting the job now. Wish me luck!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-05-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I knew it was a mechanical failure.

Attached Images Attached Images  

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

7milesout (06-05-2023),Fummins (06-05-2023),Top_Fuel (06-08-2023)