Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cargo bag ... gas mileage loss concerns

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question cargo bag ... gas mileage loss concerns

Hey folks ...

So I'm planning a 1500 mile trip with my 2020 mirage es, usually get around 40mpg average (give or take a little, city/highway)

I want to put a 'cargo bag' on the roof and wondering how much you think that will hurt my gas mileage
    one of the reviews for the cargo bag said their car went from normal 26mpg to 11mpg with the bag on the roof
    anyone use one of these and have info to share?

I know there are a lot of variables, but a guesstimate would really help

trying to decide if its worth it to use it

I wasn't planning on loading it up with really heavy items, just some supplies

PLUS ... what is the weight capacity for the roof?
    I can't seem to find that info anywhere

I look forward to hearing your thoughts

Thanks in advance

Last edited by mrsray; 06-04-2023 at 02:07 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Fummins might be able to tell you, because he's been using a cargo bag on his recent camping adventures. His cargo bag can be seen around post # 122 in his Mirage thread below -

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ds-crui/page13

I believe he's off camping again this weekend. So you may not hear from him until Monday or so.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-05-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I would look for a used streamlined carrier like a thule or similar. It might cost $1-200 but the thought your stuff will be locked and dry and your Mirage roof won't suffer at all might be the best answer.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    For a Thule style carrier, car needs a roof rack with cross members. Cargo bag usually can go directly on the roof.

I occasionally use a cargo bag, and never noticed any dramatic fuel consumption changes.

One big advantage of a bag is that I sometimes have extra cargo going one way, but not the other - bag gets folded up and put away when not needed.

Decent bag should not leak, I never had any wetness problems with mine, even when driving in the rain.

One disadvantage is that they are not as secure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.9 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.8 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigMW For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-05-2023),MetroMPG (06-05-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    For a Thule style carrier, car needs a roof rack with cross members. Cargo bag usually can go directly on the roof.
    wally may have been talking about a hitch cargo carrier: https://www.thule.com/en-ca/cargo-ca...cargo-carriers
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Fummins might be able to tell you, because he's been using a cargo bag on his recent camping adventures. His cargo bag can be seen around post # 122 in his Mirage thread below -

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ds-crui/page13

I believe he's off camping again this weekend. So you may not hear from him until Monday or so.
    I'll ask Fummins ... i searched the forum for cargo bag and had not seen much for mirage owners using them.

and this is just a one time deal, so I do not want to spend more on a thule or similar, which still take away from gas mileage

thanks for your replies

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    wally may have been talking about a hitch cargo carrier: https://www.thule.com/en-ca/cargo-ca...cargo-carriers
    I didn't know Thule made hitch carriers. The prices! Jeesus.

Actually on Kijiji it's not unusual to find perfect shape Thule or similar roof top with all mounts/keys/hardware for $60-80. I paid $60 for a uh, I forget the brand but it's normally about $350+ these days at CTC.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-05-2023)

26mpg to 11mpg
    That seems extreme. I'd doubt it'd be nearly that bad.

But carrying things on the roof should be the last option. Find a way to put them inside, or else on the rear of the car if fuel economy is your concern.

Carrying things on the roof hurts both frontal area AND drag coefficient - double whammy.

If I had to guess, I'd predict a 10-20% hit to fuel economy at highway speeds.

I once tested the effect of roof racks and carrying a bike on my 3-cylinder Metro/Firefly.

Just adding (empty) roof racks reduced fuel economy to 48.2 mpg (US), or -7.0 mpg / -12.7%.

Putting the mountain bike on the rack absolutely destroyed the mileage! Down to 40.1 mpg (US), or -15.1 mpg / -27.3%
    Name:  blackfly-rack-mtb.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  47.0 KB

https://metrompg.com/posts/roof-racks.htm

A bag probably has more frontal area than a bike, but lower drag. (Just a guess.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-05-2023),mohammad (06-06-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,009 Posts
    Back when I worked for this really sucky automotive company (not Toyota), we went through all these trials about WHERE to place the roof rack crossbars on cars that came with them from the factory. That company didn't care one iota. But the American side knew that at the very least, putting the cross bars on increased wind NOISE. And it did.

After testing, we found a position to place both crossbars that greatly reduced their wind noise. The workers from the home country never gave a rat's behind, but the Americans implemented the repositioning despite their lack of backing. I always wondered how much contribution those cross bars had on mpg. I'm sure it varies from vehicle to vehicle and the shape of the crossbars. I'm guessing your % is closely in the neighborhood to what the contribution was to those crossbars we applied from the factory. What a waste of money to ride around with those bars on there full time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-06-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ive used mine quite a bit - the faster you go the worse it gets. Could easily chew up over 15mpg on the freeway, around town you wont even notice it.

Side note; buy plastic totes that fit in the bag. it makes loading and unloading such a breeze. you can pack your stuff up in your house and load the whole thing and go in a matter of minutes.

Attached Images Attached Images  

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-20-2023),Wil B (07-20-2023)