Thread: Tesla Model 3 Lifecycle Cost Nearly Matches The Cheapest Car In America!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Tesla Model 3 Lifecycle Cost Nearly Matches The Cheapest Car In America!

https://cleantechnica.com/2023/06/04...n-america/amp/

I didn't look too closely at the numbers but they look off to me. They're trying to say it only cost's $2000 more to finance a car that costs $20,000 more? I don't buy the $4000 in maintance for the Mirage in 5 years. Mine needs an oil change twice a year. I've been running the same tires(on two different cars) for about 4 years now. I replaced my entire drivetrain, windshield, brakes and my total cost of repairs and maintance is still under $4000Cad in the last 2-3 years(I can't remember how long I've had mine), and I bought it used with 280k kms.

How easy is it to find a 5 year old Mirage for 9000 under new price?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I just did a build and price on a new Polaris 5 seater side by side. Of course I added a couple options. The price came to $72,000. https://www.polaris.com/en-ca/off-ro...seprompt=false
    I did some comparisons between it and the Mirage and figure the Polaris has a lower cost of ownership because I made a chart.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-06-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Could it be that articles like this intend to coerce buyers in a particular direction?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

They're probably just trying to justify paying so much and convince others to do the same so they're not the only ones.

I'd buy a Tesla in a heartbeat. But...I wouldn't prance around singing about how much money I'm saving cause there would be nothing but a large expense. For some they can save money over time. If you drive a lot then yes, an ev can totally make sense and save you money compared to a similar sized gas car(and even smaller). I guess if you take your car to a dealer and have every single recommended service completed by the book then a tesla is probably cheaper to maintain by a large margin.

I know battery's can last a long time but they can fail at any time too. If out of warranty you may be able to patch a battery by replacing just a small portion of the battery pack but it's still not a cheap fix. Cheaper than replacing the entire unit though. I'd still take a gamble. It'd be neat to have a car that cost's nothing to drive somewhere and is fast, quite and comfortable. I saw a few model S' on the highway the other day and they still look great after 10 years. IMO.

I don't think their fording abilities(or disabilities) can match the Mirage though.
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-05-2023 at 05:15 PM.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The author of the article fudged the depreciation on tesla, but not on mirage. Cost of financing is messed up, under normal circumstances it will cost way more to finance a vehicle that's twice as expensive.

I'm not a fan of tesla at all. I don't care what someone decides to drive, it just bothers me when $ get taken out of my pocket (as a taxpayer), given to some rich dude towards a luxury vehicle. And then the rich dude hands that over to the richest man in the world,who doesn't even pay tax on his wealth in my country. Rant over.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.9 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.8 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigMW For This Useful Post:

daleWV (06-08-2023),mohammad (06-06-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    The author of the article fudged the depreciation on tesla, but not on mirage. Cost of financing is messed up, under normal circumstances it will cost way more to finance a vehicle that's twice as expensive.

• Some people argue that if you can't pay cash for it, you can't truly afford it.

I'm not a fan of tesla at all. I don't care what someone decides to drive, it just bothers me when $ get taken out of my pocket (as a taxpayer), given to some rich dude towards a luxury vehicle.

• Are you equally upset about loans given to GM, Ford, and others? Recent IRA tax credits apply to all automakers that meet the requirements, not just Tesla.

"U.S. finalizes $2.5 billion loan to GM, LG battery joint venture"

"WASHINGTON, Dec 12 (Reuters) - The U.S. Energy Department said on Monday it had finalized a $2.5 billion low-cost loan to a joint venture of General Motors Co (GM.N) and LG Energy Solution (373220.KS) to help pay for three new lithium-ion battery cell manufacturing facilities." - https://www.reuters.com/business/ene...re-2022-12-12/

"Ford receives massive $9.2B loan to boost US EV battery capacity"

"Ford Motor is set to receive the single largest loan in the history of the Department of Energy’s (DOE) Loan Program Office. The whopping $9.2 billion will be used to build three EV battery factories as Ford looks to boost domestic capacity." - https://electrek.co/2023/06/22/ford-...tery-capacity/

• A $2.5 billion loan given to GM/LG and a $9.2 billion loan compared to the $465 million loan given to Tesla. Tesla actually paid back their entire DOE loan too. Also, I don't recall GM ever fully paying back their 2008/2009 taxpayer bailout. These new loans are being considered the new bailout for legacy auto by some.

"Tesla Repays Department of Energy Loan Nine Years Early"

"PALO ALTO, Calif.-- Tesla Motors announced that it has paid off the entire loan awarded to the company by the Department of Energy in 2010. In addition to payments made in 2012 and Q1 2013, today’s wire of almost half a billion dollars ($451.8M) repays the full loan facility with interest. Following this payment, Tesla will be the only American car company to have fully repaid the government." - https://www.tesla.com/blog/tesla-rep...ne-years-early

And then the rich dude hands that over to the richest man in the world,
    who doesn't even pay tax on his wealth in my country. Rant over.

• Are you equally upset about other wealthy people not paying taxes?

"Elon Musk says he will pay over $11 billion in taxes this year"

"Last week, he fired back at Senator Elizabeth Warren after she questioned Time Magazine’s decision to name Musk its Person of the Year, tweeting: “I will pay more taxes than any American in history this year.”" - https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/20/elon...this-year.html

• Many wealthy people's net worth is actually NOT liquid, it is held in unsold investments which do not require paying taxes on. There are loopholes in the tax code that anyone can take advantage of and to reduce one's tax liability.

"Capital Gains Tax: What It Is, How It Works, and Current Rates"

"The capital gains tax is the levy on the profit that an investor makes when an investment is sold. It is owed for the tax year during which the investment is sold."

"When stock shares or any other taxable investment assets are sold, the capital gains, or profits, are referred to as having been "realized." The tax doesn't apply to unsold investments or "unrealized capital gains." Stock shares will not incur taxes until they are sold, no matter how long the shares are held or how much they increase in value." - https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c...ave%20realized.

Last edited by davidricardo86; 06-28-2023 at 02:22 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to davidricardo86 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-28-2023)