Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something wrong with head unit

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Unhappy Something wrong with head unit

2017 SE
    My head unit hasn't been working the last 3 weeks. Radio, bluetooth, backup camera, everything. I quit working while I was driving a few weeks ago. I tried pushing in the yellow fuse holder, pushing in the individual fuses, resetting the car by unhooking the battery overnight, swapping the fuses out with other ones in the fuse box, cleaning up 4(?) grounds in the engine compartment and nothing. I did notice that there is a place for a 30A fuse in the engine compartment fuse box, the diagram shows a music note in the place where there is no fuse plugged in. But I remember that fuse not being there when I was looking at it months ago, so I don't think my model requires it.

Is it time to take out the head unit or take off a few interior panels and inspect the wiring harness? Is there a code I need to clear? Take the head unit out? Where is the ground it goes to? I am not sure where to go from here.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    why not pull the head unit and check for power in the connector using a multimeter?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

Princess_Bishi (06-06-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    why not pull the head unit and check for power in the connector using a multimeter?
    This seems to be the most logical next step, I'll do this in the morning! Thanks Mohammed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Princess_Bishi For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-06-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Note that the head unit should have both a constant power source that is always on, this is used to store radio settings on the broke people radios and to keep the clock in the radio accurate. And an accessory power feed that is used to actually turn the radio on. My bet is on the fuse in the yellow holder being loose, Dirk had a similar problem awhile ago.

If you run out of ideas test for continuity between the radio fuse and the wiring harness.

I think the engine fuse box fuse might be for the Rockford Fosgate sound system amplifier that is on the top trim Mirage or it maybe for a different Mitsubishi car that uses the same fusebox. Weird how its in the engine bay. Im 99% sure its unrelated to your radio issues though.It appears to be normal to be missing the BF2 fuse https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...sounding-fuses
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think I am correct and the BF2 fuse is for an amplifier available on the highest trim. The same fuse box appears to be used for the outlander as well: https://car-fuse.blogspot.com/2020/0...der-fuses.html Either way it shouldn't effect the radios ability to turn on.

I'd go back to that fuse holder. Remove it and retry. Just because.
    Did anything else quit working?
    Does the usb port have power?
    Did you actually check the fuses to make sure they're not blown by either removing them and looking or check for continuity. If not, give that a go before tearing the car apart and finding nothing wrong.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Will it still work if I leave the yellow thing out? Because after switching the fuses with their equal counterparts I did not put it back on before I tested it. Just kinda plugged em in. The function corresponding to the place where I put the potentially “bad” fuse worked when I put the car in accessory mode. So it seems the fuse is good Also, my car does not have a USB port sadly. Nothing else has been affected, only the screen. All the lights for the buttons around it still work.

Also I still have yet to sleep, so I haven’t tried any of the suggestions yet. Night shift will be the death of me.
    Last edited by Princess_Bishi; 06-06-2023 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Added a point

Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Bishi View Post
    Will it still work if I leave the yellow thing out?
    NO.

Push the yellow part in AND push the fuses in as well with a screwdriver or key to make sure they're seated all the way.

There were a lot of pinout change for 2017. Most diagrams from a 2014-15 won't apply to a 2017. Radio pinouts may be the same though. I've never bothered comparing. I made a thread at one time with all the diagrams for a 2017.

The first question on this thread probably should have been, what did you do to your car last.

Does your car have bluetooth controls on the dash or something? If on they're on the steering wheel then I don't get why you wouldn't have the usb cord tucked up on the top lh corner of dash(seen only with glove box open).
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-06-2023 at 05:15 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I haven't done anything to my car in months, and I've never messed with the electrical except to reset the computer (unhooking the battery). Haven't so much as plugged in my Bluetooth code scanner. The Bluetooth controls are on the screen so I have no way to connect it to my phone. I think the touch screen is dead? The fuses are in all the way with the yellow thing in with it. Does the USB cord plug into the back of the head unit? Because when I took the head unit out last weekend I found an unused plug-in that had some broken plastic around it. The bottom part of it kind of looked like a mini USB (the standard Android chargers from 10 years ago) . The car used to be a rental so it is possible a renter broke the usb port out and it was never noticed upon return or they didn't care. I know that power is getting to the head unit because the orange lights around the Power and Tune button come on. I think it's the screen itself. I'm going to crack it open tomorrow and see what I can do, I fixed the radio in my truck successfully and my husband is a hardware engineer so I'll recruit him if I get out of my depth with the screen. I will check back for any suggestions before I do this in the morning. And I appreciate the advice because I barely know what I'm doing!

Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Bishi View Post
    I haven't done anything to my car in months, and I've never messed with the electrical except to reset the computer (unhooking the battery). Haven't so much as plugged in my Bluetooth code scanner. The Bluetooth controls are on the screen so I have no way to connect it to my phone. I think the touch screen is dead? The fuses are in all the way with the yellow thing in with it. Does the USB cord plug into the back of the head unit? Because when I took the head unit out last weekend I found an unused plug-in that had some broken plastic around it. The bottom part of it kind of looked like a mini USB (the standard Android chargers from 10 years ago) . The car used to be a rental so it is possible a renter broke the usb port out and it was never noticed upon return or they didn't care. I know that power is getting to the head unit because the orange lights around the Power and Tune button come on. I think it's the screen itself. I'm going to crack it open tomorrow and see what I can do, I fixed the radio in my truck successfully and my husband is a hardware engineer so I'll recruit him if I get out of my depth with the screen. I will check back for any suggestions before I do this in the morning. And I appreciate the advice because I barely know what I'm doing!
    Can you post a picture of your radio. Does it say mitsubishi anywhere on it? Post the model # Pics would go a lot further...

All of the Mirages I've seen have the bluetooth controls(buttons so that you can make and answer calls)are either on the steering wheel(factory location) and have radio controls on the lh side of the steering wheel or the dealer/port installed setup (where bluetooth was manditory?) and those ones have a button on the dash next to the the power mirror and traction control-button. The microphone is in the headliner near the dome light with the factory set up and the dealer/port setup usually has the mic stuck to the top of the steering column cover.

Do you have a backup camera with a body colored housing that sticks out of the hatch or is it a tin bracket bolted to the licence plate?