Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RS-R lowering springs

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Was that a 7" wide wheel? That will make a difference.
    its a 6.5

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    straight up, the rear springs are not built correctly. They are severely under sprung. I installed them and couldn't make it home without bouncing off the shock bottom. I installed 15in wheels with a 190/50/15 tire, rolled the fender and still was bottoming. I made a 1/2 inch spacer for the spring and got it off the tires, but would still bottom.
    Name:  65302023594__28DC5C84-FC32-4098-84C7-4C43501BF562.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  92.2 KB

I ended up with air bags. RSR Springs are ****.
    Name:  IMG_7588.JPG
Views: 627
Size:  89.5 KB

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HHR21 For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-02-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Armchair admiral over here (no experience with anything other than stock), so take this with a grain of salt, but:

Based on specs of springs and spring rates I can find on sportier cars similar to the Mirage in size, the two sets of springs with appropriate strength are the Teins and the Eibachs.

Both are a PITA to get in the United States, and I'm not even sure if you can get the Teins as just the springs and not a springs/struts combo. So Eibachs are probably your best bet, but I wish you the best of luck in actually acquiring them at a reasonable price.

The majority of the "coilover kits"out there (a dumb name w.r.t. our cars because our cheap rear suspension is not actually coilover) are going to be wayyyyy to stiff for daily driving, especially given how much people complain that the seats in our cars are uncomfortable.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am in the process of ordering KYB struts, Monroe Shocks and the Eibach Lowering springs from Jegs. They are price matching everything and offering a small 1st order discount. They called me back this morning and the springs (E10-60-017-01-22 (F11-60-017-01-VA front spring, F11-60-017-01-HA rear spring) have been discontinued.

This thread would indicate that the RSR (and another thread TIEN) springs are not an acceptable replacement. JEGS is going to call Eibach when they open and see if they have a comparable replacement.

I am also running Helium 15" wheel.

From all that I have read here that combination should not rub.

Not sure what to do if Eibach does not have a comparable set.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    The majority of the "coilover kits"out there (a dumb name w.r.t. our cars because our cheap rear suspension is not actually coilover) are going to be wayyyyy to stiff for daily driving, especially given how much people complain that the seats in our cars are uncomfortable.
    Agreed The mirage back end is a solid bar, not a double wishbone independent suspension system.
    Last edited by Dookaughs; 09-22-2022 at 02:15 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, counter point here. I just installed the RSR springs today. Stock wheels, 175 section width tires, new KYB shocks in the front and monroe OEM in the rear. I could see how the rear could bottom out, but with 600lbs in the car it doesn't bottom out any more than the OEM suspension did. And with 250lbs in the car it handles really well and doesn't bottom out at all. The roll is greatly reduced and the spring rate seems to match the stock shocks well. It feels way more planted on the interstate without being too firm at all, rides more like a Chevy Sonic than a Mirage now.

I spent 175 on the springs a while back, 170 on the pair of front shocks and 60 for the rear. Had to buy new shock boots for the rear since one was torn. Started at 7:30 this morning and had it wrapped up by 12:30 with a coffee break and a lunch break, and I'm a pretty **** mechanic.

Anyways since everyone else seems to dislike these springs but they are also some of the only ones easily available, I figured others could get a differing opinion.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to expertninja For This Useful Post:

BigMW (02-25-2023),Fummins (02-26-2023),inuvik (02-25-2023)

Do you have any pics? What tire size are you running? 175/65 14?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am running a 175/65R14 tire. The wheel gap in the front goes down 3/4" with 190lbs in the drivers seat.

Now that they are fully settled in I gotta say I really do like these springs. There is a specific corner I previously could take at around 40mph, now I can hit 50mph with no other changes. Much less roll, much less bouncing, for not a lot more stiffness.

I did bottom out once but that was with ~150lbs in the trunk and a big angled expansion joint that also bottoms out my GF's Corolla and my friend's CRV. But the stability I gained on the highway more than makes up for any small increase in discomfort.

Name:  IMG-1249.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  91.3 KB

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to expertninja For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-27-2023),inuvik (02-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by expertninja View Post
    I am running a 175/65R14 tire. The wheel gap in the front goes down 3/4" with 190lbs in the drivers seat.

Now that they are fully settled in I gotta say I really do like these springs. There is a specific corner I previously could take at around 40mph, now I can hit 50mph with no other changes. Much less roll, much less bouncing, for not a lot more stiffness.

I did bottom out once but that was with ~150lbs in the trunk and a big angled expansion joint that also bottoms out my GF's Corolla and my friend's CRV. But the stability I gained on the highway more than makes up for any small increase in discomfort.

Name:  IMG-1249.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  91.3 KB
    Thanks for sharing, looks good. It's a twin to my car(but way better shape), even driver weight is the same!

Some airbags shoved into the rear springs would probably help with bottoming out when loaded down. I might have to keep an eye out for some springs now.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

expertninja (02-27-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Amazon took, then cancelled my order for decent looking progressive lowering springs for the Mirage. The set of 4 was $150. They dropped the car 25mm over stock while have a spring rate quite higher and of course, progressive. All the Veedub springs everyone was using have mostly dried up, for $40-50 I'd have happily tried them. Now? Ugh. I have light trailers I'm afraid to fully use because of the droop from even minor (50b?) tongue weight.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)