Thread: Green Car Reports: Real-World 40 MPG-Plus Possible, Mirage Owners Say

Green Car Reports: Real-World 40 MPG-Plus Possible, Mirage Owners Say

Name:  gcr-mirage-mpg.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  67.2 KB

Green Car Reports is not a fan of "extreme" hypermiling contests that car companies put on to highlight the incredible results their cars can get under ideal conditions, using driving techniques that the vast majority of the motoring public will never use.

I noticed that they didn't cover Mitsubishi's latest U.S. economy run contest, where a trio of Mirages went from Las Vegas to L.A. and averaged 70 mpg US (3.4 L/100 km / 29.8 km/L) between them, with the top car getting over 74 mpg (US).

So I wrote to them and pointed out that while the "real world" results of thirty Mirage owners recording their results in our fuel economy log isn't as spectacular as 70+ mpg, it's still notable because our "fleet average" is higher (slightly) than the EPA's best combined fuel economy rating for the car.

To me, that says Mitsu isn't fudging the numbers for this car, like some other companies do.

So GCR wrote an article about it. They also referred to the CVT vs 5-speed Mirage city fuel economy comparison I did in Ottawa, where I used "plain vanilla ecodriving" and got much better results than the cars' EPA city ratings, in less than ideal conditions.

GCR says...

We don't advocate hardcore hypermiling here, nor taping up important bits of your car, but it's evidence of just how efficient Mitsubishi's latest minicar can be.

With little technique, EPA-beating economy figures appear to be very much within reach.
    Read the full article: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...ble-owners-say

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    nice, I guess that the mean numbers of all the recently added Mirages would give further support its great economy.
    And all of these numbers were achieved in cold weather. Now, just imagine, how these will climb in spring and summertime.

I am looking forward to this :-)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Donut For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-17-2014)

I was thinking of exactly the same thing: the cold weather Mirages/Space Stars in most of the U.S., Canada & Europe are soon going to be posting improved numbers.

But the Mirages in super-hot-weather places may offset that with a lot more air conditioning use!

But I bet the fleet average will rise. The cold weather hit is bigger than the A/C hit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)