Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil filter location looks to be a reach with very little space making for a messy

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Oil filter location looks to be a reach with very little space making for a messy

oil change . Is this the case ? Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    yeah did it saturday. Its on there pretty tight. Theres a small hunk of metal at the bottom of it thats supposed to direct the oil. I took the oil filter cap wrench tool and tapped it on with a hammer to finally get it moving.

cinder - did I read in another post that you decided not to get the Mirage mainly because of the oil filter location?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes , part of it . The rear headroom ( top of head touching ) and the Yaris starting to get better gas mileage . Also waiting for the '15 Fit to look at and test drive . They're supposedly bringing a Fit sedan ( A.K.A. City ) to the U.S. and the smaller C.U.V. hybrid sometime this year . Therefore a no go for the Mirage . Otherwise I do like the car and hope to see Mitsubishi thrive . Had many Colts in the past .
    Last edited by cinder; 03-19-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Well, thanks for the status update.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cinder View Post
    Yes , part of it . The rear headroom ( top of head touching ) and the Yaris starting to get better gas mileage . Also waiting for the '15 Fit to look at and test drive . They're supposedly bringing a Fit sedan ( A.K.A. City ) to the U.S. and the smaller C.U.V. hybrid sometime this year . Therefore a no go for the Mirage . Otherwise I do like the car and hope to see Mitsubishi thrive . Had many Colts in the past .
    I too have been considering the Fit. I am back to leaning toward the Mirage (I'm as fickle as some politicians!) because even though I really like Hondas, the new Fit will be a completely new design, built in a completely new facility, using a new direct-injection engine. I hope to keep my next car for more than 10 years, and I am not convinced the new direct-injection engine will be as trouble-free over the long term (possible intake valve fouling issues, much more expensive fuel pump and components). It is true that DI is efficient and trouble free when burning clean fuel at peak operating temps, but I often have to start the car cold and take relatively short trips, and eventually some bad fuel will get in the tank.

I'm certain the Fit will handle better, have more useful space, and well thought-out features. For me, though, the name of the game is A-to-B as inexpensively and hassle-free as possible.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Honda is said to have the D.I. issue in control . There's 1 or more U.O.A.s at www.bobistheoilguy.com that show no issue of fuel dilution of the oil even at high mileage intervals . The one U.O.A. is a '13 Accord . Hopefully that's the case . We'll likely wait for 6 months or more to see if any problems with the new model . May consider the MAZDA 2 w/ Skyactiv as well or not do anything .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Canoehead, the Mirage is a lot more serviceable than the Fit is. You don't think about how easy it is to access, say, the headlight bulb from -both- sides until one's burned out. Or the engine belt. Or... pretty much anything in the engine bay.

The Fit is still very serviceable compared to capital offenders like the Versa Note, but the Mirage - I mean, come on - 10 second air filter change.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    '11 Fit air filter change extremely easy , just replaced about a week ago it on the dealer parking lot after its purchase at the parts department . The oil filter and drain in the open from beneath making for a smooth O.C. . The plastic guard near the drain plug does catch some oil that can be cleaned up with paper towels and glass cleaner . Headlight bulbs quite easy too . Been doing O.C.s for about 30 years .
    Last edited by cinder; 03-20-2014 at 04:08 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    yaris headlight bulbs are a pos to get to if you dont have experience with those cars. especiall the driver side