Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 81

Thread: Which tire is best?

  1. #31
    Senior Member sunbeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2023
    Location
    Maritimes
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    101
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 26 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    This is how some common 165/65r14 tires are rated in the U.S. tire market.

    I don't put total stock in the UTQG ratings -
    "To help consumers evaluate their tires, the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) created the Uniform Tire Quality Grading System (UTQG). The UTQG rates tires are rated on their tread-wear, traction performance, and temperature resistance."


    Kumho Solus TA51a 79T - 640AA/75,000 mile warranty, 51 psi, 10/32 tread depth
    *Kumho Solus TA31 79T - 500AA/60,000 mile warranty, 44 psi, 9.5/32
    *Nexen NPriz AH5 79T (all-season) - 460AA/50,000 mile warranty, 51 psi, 9/32"
    Bridgestone Potenza RE92 78S (all-season) - 260AB/40,000 mile warranty, 44 psi, 9/32

    No warranty tires
    Falken Sincera SN250A A/S 79S - 320BB/no warranty, 51 psi, 9/32"
    *Dunlop Enasave 01 A/S 79S (all-season) - 340AB/no warranty, 44 psi, 9/32

    * tires I have used or are currently using for my Mirage.

    If all the tires listed above were the same price, I would pick one of the top 3 on the list. I haven't tried the Kumho Solus TA51a (newer offering in the States), but it would be my first pick if the price was right. I've been very happy with my Kumho Solus TA31 & Nexen N'Priz AH5 tires.

    I can't speak on the Falken Sincera SN250A A/S, because my Mirage came with Dunlop Enasave 01 A/S. You're the expert on the Falken tires.
    Many thanks.

    I think I read on Falken's website they have a 75,000mile warranty.
    Mine came on the car when purchased.

    Do you happen to have the link to the document you reference?
    I am not super experienced in reading these rating values so any additional documents would help.

    Went searching for more posts and found that Stevedmc went 80,000miles on the Falkens if I recall from a previous post.

    It looks like from your data above that the tread on the Kumho 51A is better.

    So far the falkens are doing well for me cannot complain, they cost about the same as the Kumho's where I am.



  2. #32
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    10,063
    Thanks
    4,016
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,083 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    I am not super experienced in reading these rating values so any additional documents would help.
    Look here for more info: Uniform Tire Quality Grading

    It’s difficult to predict how long a tire will last. Many factors affect wear such as driving habits, speed, acceleration, cornering, braking, total weight (vehicle, passengers, cargo, even towing), tire inflation, wheel alignment, I’m sure there’s others.

    I understand harder compounds last longer and softer compounds have better grip? Someone can better explain this, and correct me if I’m wrong.

    I think the most significant factor lies between the steering wheel and the pedals.
    Last edited by Eggman; 02-09-2024 at 03:04 PM.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)


  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

    Grumpy Bear (02-12-2024)

  4. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    SW, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    7,296
    Thanks
    581
    Thanked 2,654 Times in 2,082 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    Many thanks.

    I think I read on Falken's website they have a 75,000mile warranty.
    Mine came on the car when purchased.

    Do you happen to have the link to the document you reference?
    I am not super experienced in reading these rating values so any additional documents would help.

    Went searching for more posts and found that Stevedmc went 80,000miles on the Falkens if I recall from a previous post.

    It looks like from your data above that the tread on the Kumho 51A is better.

    So far the falkens are doing well for me cannot complain, they cost about the same as the Kumho's where I am.
    There lies the deception that I have pointed out several times on this forum.

    165/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250A A/S have a UTQG rating of 320AB & NO WARRANTY!

    Buy a set of 175/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250 A/S tires & you will have a UTQG rating of 720AB & a 80,000 mile warranty.

    The tire names are not exactly identical (the added "A" must mean something) and the UTQG ratings & warranties aren't even close. I assume a cheaper version of the tire has been made for the Mirage.

    I will take this a step further. If I visit the Falken Tire website for the States, I cannot find a 165/65r14 tire listed anywhere on their site. Yet, most everyone sells a 165/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250A A/S tire.

    This is why I said what I did. You have experience with this tire. Steve was running 175/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250 A/S tires on his Mirage with great success, but that's not the tire you have on your Mirage.

    I have listed the tires properly in my original post,but I should have clarified 165/65r14 tires better. If all the 165/65r14 tires are equal in price, I am not buying the lower grade Falken tire unless someone like you tells me it's the best tire ever made!

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

    sunbeam (02-12-2024)

  6. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2023
    Location
    Illinois
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    151
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts
    I ran into something similar with my pickup. The Bridgestone tires that came with the truck had like a 36K mile warranty. The replacements were 70K. I could find no difference. Not even in the part number. Thing was the OEM set lasted 125K miles and finally I replaced them as they 'dated out" Six years.

    Honda did something similar with a rear tire for the Honda Shadow Ace Tourer with a deal from Dunlap. Special rim flange in a forged weel and all. Said it was the only tire that would even fit. Lie. $360 tire with a $100 fitting that lasted about 10K miles. Found an Avon used on another Honda Goldwing type bike that fit. Half the cost and three times the service life. Games. They play games.

  7. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    SW, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    7,296
    Thanks
    581
    Thanked 2,654 Times in 2,082 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    I ran into something similar with my pickup. The Bridgestone tires that came with the truck had like a 36K mile warranty. The replacements were 70K. I could find no difference. Not even in the part number. Thing was the OEM set lasted 125K miles and finally I replaced them as they 'dated out" Six years.

    Honda did something similar with a rear tire for the Honda Shadow Ace Tourer with a deal from Dunlap. Special rim flange in a forged weel and all. Said it was the only tire that would even fit. Lie. $360 tire with a $100 fitting that lasted about 10K miles. Found an Avon used on another Honda Goldwing type bike that fit. Half the cost and three times the service life. Games. They play games.

    If the Falken Sincera SN250A A/S (320AB UTQG rating / no warranty) & the Falken Sincera SN250 A/S (720AB UTQG rating / 80,000 mile warranty) were the exact same tire, I don't understand the logic behind the different ratings/warranties.

    I'm not saying these two tires are the same or different. I am just pointing out the names are slightly different, and the company rates them quite differently.

    I don't think lower quality factory tires for new vehicles is an uncommon practice, but I wouldn't spend my money on lower rated tires when it comes time to replace them (unless nothing better exists).

  8. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Atlanta Metro
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3,381
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 963 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't think lower quality factory tires for new vehicles is an uncommon practice...
    A lower quality factory tire on a Hyundai-Kia vehicle is a requirement. They'd manufacture a car rolling on tires molded from dirt if they could.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)


  9. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2023
    Location
    Illinois
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    151
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If the Falken Sincera SN250A A/S (320AB UTQG rating / no warranty) & the Falken Sincera SN250 A/S (720AB UTQG rating / 80,000 mile warranty) were the exact same tire, I don't understand the logic behind the different ratings/warranties.

    I'm not saying these two tires are the same or different. I am just pointing out the names are slightly different, and the company rates them quite differently.

    I don't think lower quality factory tires for new vehicles is an uncommon practice, but I wouldn't spend my money on lower rated tires when it comes time to replace them (unless nothing better exists).
    I was just thinking the entire difference in those two tires in in the A.

    Used to be a factory my Ex worked in that made the early transistorized ignition modules. They had a 90-day warranty line, a 1-year warranty line and a 'lifetime' warranty line. The only difference in the three were part numbers, price and the color of the plug so they wouldn't get cheated. Some irony in that me thinks.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

    Eggman (02-12-2024)

  11. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    SW, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    7,296
    Thanks
    581
    Thanked 2,654 Times in 2,082 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    I was just thinking the entire difference in those two tires in in the A.

    Used to be a factory my Ex worked in that made the early transistorized ignition modules. They had a 90-day warranty line, a 1-year warranty line and a 'lifetime' warranty line. The only difference in the three were part numbers, price and the color of the plug so they wouldn't get cheated. Some irony in that me thinks.
    "A" or not - it doesn't change the fact that 165/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250A A/S aftermarket tires have no warranty, but the 175/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250 A/S comes with an 80,000 mile warranty.

    The tires could be identical, but their warranty is not. That may or may not be important to some.

  12. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Atlanta Metro
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3,381
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 963 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    but the 175/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250 A/S comes with an 80,000 mile warranty.
    It's only a 40,000 mile warranty though if your Mirage is blue, because the blue ones are such racecars. Had to add that in there ... for a friend.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)


  13. #40
    Senior Member sunbeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2023
    Location
    Maritimes
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    101
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 26 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    There lies the deception that I have pointed out several times on this forum.

    165/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250A A/S have a UTQG rating of 320AB & NO WARRANTY!

    Buy a set of 175/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250 A/S tires & you will have a UTQG rating of 720AB & a 80,000 mile warranty.

    The tire names are not exactly identical (the added "A" must mean something) and the UTQG ratings & warranties aren't even close. I assume a cheaper version of the tire has been made for the Mirage.

    I will take this a step further. If I visit the Falken Tire website for the States, I cannot find a 165/65r14 tire listed anywhere on their site. Yet, most everyone sells a 165/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250A A/S tire.

    This is why I said what I did. You have experience with this tire. Steve was running 175/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250 A/S tires on his Mirage with great success, but that's not the tire you have on your Mirage.

    I have listed the tires properly in my original post,but I should have clarified 165/65r14 tires better. If all the 165/65r14 tires are equal in price, I am not buying the lower grade Falken tire unless someone like you tells me it's the best tire ever made!
    Many thanks I did not notice the difference between the lettering.
    Will probably try the Kumho 51A next, they seem to be less expensive than the sincera.

    Spoke with mechanic, advice was that the tire ratings are not trustworthy source of information.

    Also said that usually the tires with the worst grip last the longest because their compound is harder.
    Said that the better grip comes from leaving some compound on the road.

    So it could be possible that the sincera has a longer wear life because it is harder.

    Only real world use will answer this, planning on switching to the 51A Kumhos once these Falken A A/S tires wear out.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •