Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Which tire is best?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,658 Times in 2,085 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post

Also said that usually the tires with the worst grip last the longest because their compound is harder.
    Said that the better grip comes from leaving some compound on the road.

I would agree with the above statement. It's also why winter tires don't have UTQG ratings or come with warranties. Snow tires are designed for traction & not extended wear.

The Kumho Solus TA51a is a relatively new offering that seems to be replacing the Solus TA31 in the States. It could be great, it might not be? I have no complaints with my pair of Solus TA31 tires, but I haven't worn them out yet.

The Nexen N'Priz AH5 is a tire I wouldn't overlook. I'm impressed with my pair. When I needed new tires on my driver's education car last summer, I picked the brain of my local mechanic who does a lot of tires. Without bringing up any brands, he suggested the Nexen tires. He mentioned a few good reasons why, too. I believe my Impala has the Nexen N'Priz AH8 tires now, and they do seem quite good so far. You will only find the N'Priz A5 in a 165/65r14 size I believe.

I buy tires when I see a good deal on them. I am not a brand loyalty type of guy. I have used on Dunlop*, Federal*, Nokian, Kumho, & Nexen on my Mirage so far. I bought my pair of Nexen tires when I saw them on sale for $50/tire. I may have had them a year before I started using them.

* worn out & no longer in use.

My Nokian tires (made in Russia) are completing their 7th winter up front. Due to the war, 165/65r14 Nokian Nordman 7 snow tires have disappeared off the scene.

I bought a set of Vredestein Quatrac 5 (all-weather tires) when they were on sale (approximately $68/tire). They have been on back order for almost 14 months (placed order in December of 2022) now. Thankfully, it's been an extremely mild winter this year, & I hope that I have them next winter! I think Tire Rack would like me to cancel my order & not have to honor the low price, but I've been patiently waiting. At this point, I don't see many 165/65r14 snow tire choices available in the States.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    "A" or not - it doesn't change the fact that 165/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250A A/S aftermarket tires have no warranty, but the 175/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250 A/S comes with an 80,000 mile warranty.

The tires could be identical, but their warranty is not. That may or may not be important to some.
    OH! Well that would be backwards, right?

I like my tires like I like my oil, black and of questionable condition.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-14-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I like my tires like I like my oil, black and of questionable condition.
    Sounds like a plan...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I think the most significant factor lies between the steering wheel and the pedals.
    The Bridgestone's that came on my truck the media said were junk. OEM warranty was 30K miles. New they came with 10/32's of tread. They were quite for their entire lifetime. Stopped well, wet or dry. Anyway, I drove those tires to their expiration date and logged 125,000 miles on them. 5/32's left when they dated out. 2/32's left of very even legal tread in a tire that balanced very well. Truck never wondered. Never vibrated. Never a single performance issue. One tire plugged and booted twice for nails.

Rotated every 5K. Balance every 10K. Absolutely anal about tire pressures. An early alignment which I was exceedingly picky over. A second toe adjustment around 100K. Keep the rocks picked out of the treads. Then I drove it as the adult I am. I'm at 175K on this truck and still have the original brakes on her with over half the pad left and no rotor taper.

Second set of Perelli Scorpions have 50K on them with more than half the 10/32" original left on them. They are a 50K tire I will get double out of.

Now one could say, but you spent so much money on them. Not really. Shop does the rotation for free. The balance is cheap the alignment is just good common sense few pay much attention too. The tire doubled in price and the first set out lived the factory warranty period by a factor of 3.47X. Bottom line is I spent less in maintenance by half what two plus more sets would have cost doing it the way most do.

The safety and comfort is priceless. So, yea, between the pedals and the steering wheel....

I rarely tell people what I believe is possible. I'd rather relate what has been done. Repeatedly.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-13-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    The Bridgestone's that came on my truck the media said were junk. OEM warranty was 30K miles. New they came with 10/32's of tread. They were quite for their entire lifetime. Stopped well, wet or dry. Anyway, I drove those tires to their expiration date and logged 125,000 miles on them. 5/32's left when they dated out. 2/32's left of very even legal tread in a tire that balanced very well. Truck never wondered. Never vibrated. Never a single performance issue. One tire plugged and booted twice for nails.

Rotated every 5K. Balance every 10K. Absolutely anal about tire pressures. An early alignment which I was exceedingly picky over. A second toe adjustment around 100K. Keep the rocks picked out of the treads. Then I drove it as the adult I am. I'm at 175K on this truck and still have the original brakes on her with over half the pad left and no rotor taper.

Second set of Perelli Scorpions have 50K on them with more than half the 10/32" original left on them. They are a 50K tire I will get double out of.

Now one could say, but you spent so much money on them. Not really. Shop does the rotation for free. The balance is cheap the alignment is just good common sense few pay much attention too. The tire doubled in price and the first set out lived the factory warranty period by a factor of 3.47X. Bottom line is I spent less in maintenance by half what two plus more sets would have cost doing it the way most do.

The safety and comfort is priceless. So, yea, between the pedals and the steering wheel....

I rarely tell people what I believe is possible. I'd rather relate what has been done. Repeatedly.
    In regards to someone wanting to replace their 165/65r14 tires on their Mirage, there are only a few brands to pick from. There are some unknown Chinese tires in the mix, but brand names one would recognize are quite limiting. Bridgestone, Pirelli, & many other well known tire brands don't offer 165/65r14 tire options. Some members will bump up to 175/65r14 tires, and that size is more common in the States.

My 2011 Subaru Forester came with factory Bridgestone tires, and I can honestly say they were the worst winter tires I have ever driven on. Even with AWD they were horrible. I used them up during the summer months, but I had to use something else for the winter months. My Forester with a manual transmission is a beast in the snow when it has good tires on it.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    In regards to someone wanting to replace their 165/65r14 tires on their Mirage, there are only a few brands to pick from. There are some unknown Chinese tires in the mix, but brand names one would recognize are quite limiting. Bridgestone, Pirelli, & many other well known tire brands don't offer 165/65r14 tire options. Some members will bump up to 175/65r14 tires, and that size is more common in the States.

My 2011 Subaru Forester came with factory Bridgestone tires, and I can honestly say they were the worst winter tires I have ever driven on. Even with AWD they were horrible. I used them up during the summer months, but I had to use something else for the winter months. My Forester with a manual transmission is a beast in the snow when it has good tires on it.
    Bridgestone potenza re92?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    Bridgestone potenza re92?
    Bridgestone Potenza RE92 have been around for a long, long time. I sort of forgot about them, but they were on my original list. I have never owned this particular tire, because of its pricing. If I thought I was getting something extra, I would be willing to pay extra for it. These tires seem like one might be paying more for less?

Bridgestone Potenza RE92 - 260AB UTQG rating/40,000 mile warranty. Some price quotes below -

Walmart = $137.99/tire, Tire Rack = $164.25/tire, Discount Tire Direct = $134.20/tire, Tires Easy =$134.20

In the past few months, the Bridgestone has become the most expensive 165/65r14 tire I can find in the States.

Kumho Solus TA51a - 640AA UTQG rating/75,000 mile warranty. Price quotes below -

$92/tire @ every site I listed above.

I'm not saying the Bridgestone Potenza RE92 is a bad tire. I just don't see anything that justifies their high price? They no longer advertise the tire as being a LRR (low rolling resistant) tire. Whereas the Dunlop Enasave still makes that claim.

If the Bridgestone tires were half their price, I might consider them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In my previous post the point being made was that almost any street tire can last a long time with proper maintenance and adult use.

Not commenting on Bridgestone per se.

As an aside. Tire test will test a tires performance in ways street cars rarely if ever see. If 10 feet braking distance is the difference between a wreck or no wreck you are not giving yourself ample 'out'. If it's a deer, it won't help. If you hydroplane, you're driving too fast. If 0.05 g on a skid pad makes a difference, take it to the track, not the street. Is it quiet? Is it comfortable?

Tires are a compromise. LLR and wet braking are on opposite ends of the scale. Noise and snow. Comfort and turn in. But they all respond to use, alignment, pressure, balance and braking.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-14-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    In my previous post the point being made was that almost any street tire can last a long time with proper maintenance and adult use.

Not commenting on Bridgestone per se.

As an aside. Tire test will test a tires performance in ways street cars rarely if ever see. If 10 feet braking distance is the difference between a wreck or no wreck you are not giving yourself ample 'out'. If it's a deer, it won't help. If you hydroplane, you're driving too fast. If 0.05 g on a skid pad makes a difference, take it to the track, not the street. Is it quiet? Is it comfortable?

Tires are a compromise. LLR and wet braking are on opposite ends of the scale. Noise and snow. Comfort and turn in. But they all respond to use, alignment, pressure, balance and braking.
    I buy tires based on price. If I see a decent tire on sale, I buy a pair. Using tires-easy.com price/tire today below-

All 165/65r14 tires below-
    $92 Kumho Solus TA51a 79T - 640AA/75,000 mile warranty, 51 psi, 10/32” tread depth
    N.A. *Kumho Solus TA31 79T - 500AA/60,000 mile warranty, 44 psi, 9.5/32”
    $88 *Nexen NPriz AH5 79T (all-season) - 460AA/50,000 mile warranty, 51 psi, 9/32"
    $134.20 Bridgestone Potenza RE92 78S (all-season) - 260AB/40,000 mile warranty, 44 psi, 9/32”

No warranty tires
    $88.82 Falken Sincera SN250A A/S 79S - 320BB/no warranty, 51 psi, 9/32"
    $111.84 *Dunlop Enasave 01 A/S 79S (all-season) - 340AB/no warranty, 44 psi, 9/32”

I am not promoting tires-easy.com. I used them because they had pricing for all the tires listed above. There's nothing there that would make me buy a tire today. My Mirage tire history sort of looks like this -

Mirage purchased October 2017

$83 Nokian Nordman 7 - purchased 12/2017 & mounted on a pair of aftermarket steel rims. Currently doing their 7th winter up front.

$40 Federal SS657 - purchased a pair in 6/2018. Lost a factory Dunlop to sidewall blow out (no reason for this to happen). I needed a tire now, and these were the best deal at the time. I bought a pair rather than one. Used these tires & a remaining pair of the Dunlop tires for the next few summers. Federal tires have disappeared from our market since that time.

$50 Nexen N'Priz AH5 - purchased these when I saw them on sale for $50/tire. Cheap Federal tires were a 40,000 mile tire at best, and these Nexen tires replaced them eventually.

$65 Kumho Solus TA31 - Once the factory Dunlop pair were done, these tires worked into my rotation. These were cheaper than the Nexen at the time.

$68 Vredestein Quatrac 5 - been on backorder since December of 2022. I bought a set of them on sale. They are currently priced @ $103.77/tire @ Tire Rack. They are claiming additional inventory will appear later this month. I hope they honor my purchase done over a year ago. A pair will become my primary up front winter tires next winter, & I will move my older Nokian snow tires to the rear for a few more winters. Once the Nokian snow tires are used, I will put a new pair of Quatrac 5 up front & move the other ones to the rear for the next few winters after that. I should be set for winter tires for the next 8-10 years.

I suspect my pair of Kumho & Nexen tires will last a few more years. I have zero complaints about these tires.

I have an odd tire mix because of a factory Dunlop tire side wall blow out. I didn't want to replace all 4 tires after losing one @ 15,000 miles. Thus, it got me on buying tires in pairs early on. I have to deal with winter ridge roads, and I keep that in mind when it comes to tires. Summer is when I used up older tires.

My main point is I buy tires when I see a good deal on them. I can predict my further needs, & I will take advantage of a good tire deal when I can.

Like most things in life - I have zero brand loyalty. I look for the best value.