Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Enhancement Requests: how would you improve the Mirage?

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    btw, did we mention an optional tow bar?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Do note that we get vanity mirrors for both driver and passenger side on the Philippine-spec Mirage sedan.

I'd probably throw in telescopic steering adjustment. And more airbags, probably (we only get two). And an extra cabin light. Plus a better-sounding horn, for Pete's sake. I mean, how hard can it be to include a nice little Stebel Nautilus as standard equipment, at the very least?
    Last edited by Bogeyman; 03-25-2014 at 02:25 AM.
    Don't knock drunk guys in bars; it means they're not driving. -- Richard Gere, Runaway Bride

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    extra hand assist grips at the rear.............rear side door pockets......a reverse camera and back up sensors......fully adjustable projector Headlights with HIDs.....stiffer rear springs ....hidden windshield washer for that clean look....cruise control.... cleartec installed on all models released worldwide... optitron gauges and rain sensor for wipers
    "Our knowledge is a receding Mirage in an expanding desert of Ignorance!"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^
    Remember the 500$ limit.

The limit is to make sure that they don't raise price of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah JT View Post
    Aus LS spec got auto lights and wipers :P
    I wonder if the hardware is already in the car...

For Mustangs and F150s (and mostly other fords), all you need to do is buy the light switch with the extra "automatic" knob and voila, you got auto lights.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    standard touchscreen with nav as an option

and maybe an le edition with a special blacked out front and black rims.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    For those mentioning a super tall 5th for 75+ mph highway cruising, I believe you won't find much of an improvement. With the CVT, there's only a 225-ish rpm difference between 55 and 65mph but because the engine is fighting that much more air being displaced to maintain velocity, the same exact trip will show 43-44 mpg on the dash instead of 49-51.

In fact, with a taller-than-Euro 5th, I'd imagine seeing an mpg DROP as the cruise control forces the engine to go WOT in uphill stretches of highway because it's out of its torque band.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorifuta View Post
    For those mentioning a super tall 5th for 75+ mph highway cruising, I believe you won't find much of an improvement. With the CVT, there's only a 225-ish rpm difference between 55 and 65mph but because the engine is fighting that much more air being displaced to maintain velocity, the same exact trip will show 43-44 mpg on the dash instead of 49-51.

In fact, with a taller-than-Euro 5th, I'd imagine seeing an mpg DROP as the cruise control forces the engine to go WOT in uphill stretches of highway because it's out of its torque band.
    On our legal highway speed, which is 110km/h.
    The manual sits at 3100rpm, while the cvt auto sits at 2100. Longer final gear in the auto.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah JT View Post
    On our legal highway speed, which is 110km/h.
    The manual sits at 3100rpm, while the cvt auto sits at 2100. Longer final gear in the auto.
    My Yaris had similar gearing, and the 1.5 had just enough torque on tap to compensate for climbing a grade. I'd say euro gearing is perfect as is.

taller gearing: been there, done that

I installed a taller final drive ratio in my 1.0L Pontiac Firefly's (Geo Metro) manual transmission -- it dropped engine RPM by ~25% in every gear (which is why a 5th gear swap would have been better, but there are no parts to let me do just that). It's much taller gearing than any car company would ever release for a 1.0L engine. Fuel economy increased by ~5%, on average, over a range of cruising speeds. Maximum acceleration decreased (because it affects all gears).

Yes, it's theoretically possible to overgear a car for mountain driving and get worse economy. I rarely drive in the mountains.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I installed a taller final drive ratio in my 1.0L Pontiac Firefly's (Geo Metro) manual transmission -- it dropped engine RPM by ~25% in every gear (which is why a 5th gear swap would have been better, but there are no parts to let me do just that). It's much taller gearing than any car company would ever release for a 1.0L engine. Fuel economy increased by ~5%, on average, over a range of cruising speeds. Maximum acceleration decreased (because it affects all gears).

Yes, it's theoretically possible to overgear a car for mountain driving and get worse economy. I rarely drive in the mountains.
    I wouldn't call nj "mountain" driving... it isn't exactly flat either. Just gentle hills; I think most of america is like this, based on my driving through the northeast and southeast.