Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Enhancement Requests: how would you improve the Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Enhancement Requests: how would you improve the Mirage?

So let's face it... You've got some ideas that you would want to have done to the mirage to make your purchase fell better, somehow.

These ideas, in theory, should have been sold with the car when you got them, not options.

Your ideas need to total no more than $500.00

Let me start:

Rear dome lights
    Center armrest
    Automated park/headlights

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-20-2014),mightymirage (08-29-2015)

Great thread idea. (Hope you don't mind I expanded the title a bit.) If we get some good participation here, I'll email it to Mitsu.

Summary so far (March 22):

Ares:

• Rear dome lights
    • Center armrest
    • Automated park/headlights

MetroMPG:

• less body roll (sway bars, or spring rate, or dampers)
    • "instant" fuel economy readout
    • larger MID display

Daox:

• 6-speed manual, or taller 5th gear, or Euro final drive ratio for better highway economy

CLARK:

• vanity mirror on both sun visors
    • light in hatchback cargo area

Canoehead:

• block/coolant heater
    • engine idle stop/start feature
    • special "extra efficiency" model
    • more adaptable folding rear seat (flip forward feature; quick release)

Donut:

• nicer steering wheel material
    • smoother fog light blanks
    • automated grille shutters
    • rear wheel skirts
    • 1.0L engine option

CheezyWedges:
    • non-aero rear spoiler option / 3rd brake light
    • honeycomb front grille

grsupercity:
    • Attrage/G4 front end styling

DonHoot:
    • larger fuel tank
    • more effective windshield washer spray

jid:
    • rear window louvers
    • Retro Mirage Panther stickers (N.Z.)

----

I would say:

- stabilizer/sway bars or better spring rate - if the car had a better tuned suspension, it would have avoided a LOT of negative reviews (Nissan was smart: they added dual sway bars to the Micra which is coming to Canada next month)
    - "instant" fuel economy readout in the MID (in addition to the "average" readout)
    - LARGER MID screen

I'll have to spend more time with the car to come up with other ideas.

What do you mean by automated park/headlights?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

mightymirage (08-29-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You can explain more if you'd like. I thought mine were self-explanatory... Except for the auto lights as I can't think of another way to put it at the time.

Some cars have day/night sensors and you get the choice of leaving the turning on/off of lights to the car. If the sensor senses daylight, DRL are usually on and headlights/parklights are off. When night time comes, car automatically turns on headlight and park lights.

Thus one would notice cars randomly turning their lights on when under a bridge/overpass.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I completely agree on the suspension tuning. I think a rear sway bar and slightly stiffer springs would be the ticket.

I'd also like to see a taller geared manual transmission to see that hwy mpg bumped up a little bit. Yes, this will make it a bit more doggy on the highway and I'm perfectly okay with that. I know how to downshift.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Understood on the auto lights now. I've never had that in any of my cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    Totally agree with improvements suggested - also vanity mirror on passengers side and trunk light

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage GLS 1.2 automatic: 46.8 mpg (US) ... 19.9 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I completely agree on the suspension tuning. I think a rear sway bar and slightly stiffer springs would be the ticket.

I'd also like to see a taller geared manual transmission to see that hwy mpg bumped up a little bit. Yes, this will make it a bit more doggy on the highway and I'm perfectly okay with that. I know how to downshift.

The manual could use a 6th gear, it would help big time with economy above 70/75 mph.
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Here are a few ideas:

Block heater - I know they say it doesn't need one with the low viscosity synthetic, but at -40C, everything needs one! Also, even if it will start in extreme cold, the block heater would likely be easier on the engine, the starter, the battery etc. When the time comes to buy my Mirage, I will be looking for a block heater solution (aftermarket). If I can't find one, I'll be looking at another car.

Auto start-stop feature. I'd pay a bit extra for this. I had a rental car that featured it and didn't even really notice until the second day when I happened to glance at the tach. I know this can be done manually, but it is much smoother when done auto, and there is no risk of loosing brakes/steering by turning the ignition too far!

Maybe, along with the above, an enthusiasts efficiency package, which could include LED lamps, smooth wheel covers, auto start-stop, maybe an under-body cover for aerodynamics, maybe replace the side view mirror with a backup camera.

More adaptable rear seat - possibly make the rear bench easy to remove (like minivan seats) to allow the rear seat backs to fold flat, or make the whole unit removable.

Put a rubberized paint, line-x, or something other than carpet on the floors and cargo area. I've never understood carpet in cars - not a lot of barefoot use in a car! Also, rust sometimes starts in floorboards.

6 speed manual (no idea if that costs more than $500). Or a 5 speed manual, with the 5th being an overdrive and the first 4 being typical gearing.

Edit - looks like you guys beat me to the 6th gear. Oh well - great minds I guess.

Also of note - I recall reading that there will be a couple minor changes for 2015, including turn signals in the side view mirrors and a bit more chrome. I suppose the signals are a benefit for safety - maybe they will be heated too.
    Last edited by Canoehead; 03-21-2014 at 12:41 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Some good ideas coming out here!

I think a 6-gear manual might be more than $500 though. A taller ratio 5th would be cheaper. Cheapest: the option of ordering the Euro spec final drive would be a small efficiency boost.

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    great thread.

-I would have loved a different material for the steering wheel. The plastic doesn't feel that good.

-You are right about the gear ratio. The 5th is already around 2k RPM at 55 MPH...

-A smoother front. Honestly, when there are no fog lights installed, why put an air trap? I will have to tape these parts.

-a variable grill block, for instance easy to remove plates or so

-rear wheel skirt

-A smaller engine would also be a great option.

-removable seats to save weight

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)