Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: US: Car And Driver Magazine Review: Mitsubishi Mirage ES

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They knew I wanted to post good stuff about the car, that why they wouldnt let me hahaha

It gets weirder at Car and Driver:

New vs. Old: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage ES vs. 2005 Volkswagen Phaeton
    Desirability is all about context in this battle of cars that nobody wants

Yes, a comparison test between a 9 year old luxury VW and a Mirage.

They still have nothing nice to say about the Mirage. They'd rather take their chances on a car that they admit will cost a fortune to run and repair, and will depreciate faster.

Practically any form of transport is better than the Mirage. Crawling is better than the Mirage. So the Phaeton wins.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Let's give them a $100 a month for the gas and we'll see who is going to ride and who's going to walk around the car with an empty tank.

- Mirage 40 MPG Combined - 23.54 gallons of gas ($4.247/gal Regular AVG Price for California 4/30/14) ~ 942 miles a months
    - Phaeton 16 MPG Combined - 22.49 gallons of gas ($4.447/gal Premium AVG Price for California 4/30/14) ~ 360 miles a months
    Last edited by Mikhail; 05-01-2014 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Corrected the GAS prices

There's no talking sense to them. They're "enthusiasts"!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You guys do know that Car & Driver is, by now, pretty irrelevant in the industry, and that they're known trolls?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
    Let's give them a $100 a month for the gas and we'll see who is going to ride and who's going to walk around the car with an empty tank.
    Further to that, maybe give them another $100/month for maintenance and repairs, and see who can keep their car running longer. I expect that for 5 years of warranty, the Mirage would need only the regular scheduled service, tires, brakes, and maybe plugs. The VW, on the other hand . . . well I could list just about every part I know as at 14 years, cars tend to need a whole lot to keep going. Beyond the cost, there is the hassle of break-downs in unexpected places and inconvenient times.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    Further to that, maybe give them another $100/month for maintenance and repairs, and see who can keep their car running longer.
    Just let them have the exact amount to maintain the Mirage. It would be interesting to see what the Phaeton's owner is going to do

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
    Just let them have the exact amount to maintain the Mirage. It would be interesting to see what the Phaeton's owner is going to do
    Borrow money from the Mirage owner perhaps?

It's all about image and style, at least here in LA. I helped a friend recently who had $11k to put towards his first new car. We found plenty of options; slightly used Hyundais and Kias with the remainder of the certified warranty, or even some well maintained Mustangs. But he went for an older Audi convertible; because of the looks and the name. Needless to say, it's been nothing but trouble and has been the prettiest paperweight ever made. Many people are drawn to looks and prestige, not sensibility or logic.

This comparison isn't too much different than the one Jeremy Clarkson did on Top Gear about the Nissan Pixo, where for 6,000 GBP brand new, it is the cheapest car in Britain. He proved that, for the same money, he could buy a prestigious 25 year old Rolls Royce or a sporty 10 year old Mercedes instead. During a lab inspection, the Mercedes had vaginal fluids and cocaine.

Call me picky, but I'd rather have a new Mirage than a ten year old VW, and not have to fear what will came up under the black light.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Oh, man! I think they win the award for Best Insult of the Mirage's Styling in an Auto Review
    I think Mitsubishi would take it as a compliment. The Mirage/Space Star was deliberately benchmarked against the Yaris after all, the way that the Attrage/G4 was benchmarked against the second-generation Vios.
    Don't knock drunk guys in bars; it means they're not driving. -- Richard Gere, Runaway Bride

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you look the Car and Driver best car selections over the years, you'll find a good sampling of real losers.

I use their rave reviews as a short list of cars to avoid. Not that they are bad cars, necessarily, but I have found that their tastes don't align with mine.

The more they dislike the Mirage, the more I know I will like it over thelong term.