Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: US: Car And Driver Magazine Review: Mitsubishi Mirage ES

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by festiboi View Post
    Call me picky, but I'd rather have a new Mirage than a ten year old VW, and not have to fear what will came up under the black light.
    This is EXACTLY what people in my local forums DONT understand. They didnt understand it when I bought the Kia Rio ($10k) so I didnt even bother telling them about the Mirage.

I'm all about reliability and warranty etc. etc.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by festiboi View Post
    Borrow money from the Mirage owner perhaps?

It's all about image and style, at least here in LA. I helped a friend recently who had $11k to put towards his first new car. We found plenty of options; slightly used Hyundais and Kias with the remainder of the certified warranty, or even some well maintained Mustangs. But he went for an older Audi convertible; because of the looks and the name. Needless to say, it's been nothing but trouble and has been the prettiest paperweight ever made. Many people are drawn to looks and prestige, not sensibility or logic.

This comparison isn't too much different than the one Jeremy Clarkson did on Top Gear about the Nissan Pixo, where for 6,000 GBP brand new, it is the cheapest car in Britain. He proved that, for the same money, he could buy a prestigious 25 year old Rolls Royce or a sporty 10 year old Mercedes instead. During a lab inspection, the Mercedes had vaginal fluids and cocaine.

Call me picky, but I'd rather have a new Mirage than a ten year old VW, and not have to fear what will came up under the black light.
    The same story with my father-in-law. In 2004, he decided that he wants a Germany luxury and purchased an 8 year old BMW 740iL. Since then, a lot of cash was spent to fix that car and 10-15 AVG MPG is not going to make anyone happy. Last month he finally gave up and I bought him (for his money) - guess what? - not a Mirage, but a new Outlander Sport.