Thread: USA Today: Mitsubishi Mirage makes some noise

USA Today: Mitsubishi Mirage makes some noise

Name:  mirage-usa-today.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  57.5 KB

Anybody have a twitter/fb account that wants to correct a couple of glaring errors in this one?

Weighs 2,910 lbs. (manual transmission), 3,020 lbs. (CVT).
    Oh is it now?

Next, they contradict themselves talking about their observed fuel economy (30 mpg), which they first describe as the result of "short-hop, heavy-foot suburban" driving, and then later say was "easy-going suburban driving." OK, so which was it? (At 30 mpg, I think we know which it was.)

Aside from that, they're not generally not happy with the car -- surprise, surprise, a top spec CVT ES. They question the value of the loaded model, and did not like the CVT experience.

This is the first time I've seen the disposable Yugo mentioned in a Mirage review.

Liked:

- fuel economy
    - turning circle, urban utility
    - interior, "exceptional" leather wrapped wheel
    - exterior styling
    - great back-up camera

Disliked:

- loud engine / CVT combination
    - steering feel/feedback
    - brakes
    - suspension over big bumps

Overall:

OK for crowded cities, quite unpleasant otherwise.
    Full article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...sedan/6678871/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

CLARK (03-23-2014),Mikhail (03-22-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Might be the first reviewer to like "exterior styling"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did not like the review when i read it. Reviewers never understand the point of this car

It's rare, but I think I've read 2 or 3 reviewers who put exterior styling on their like list.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Despite what the article implies, it's actually hard to find a dealer that will let you buy the Mirage (or any new car) with a credit card...I tried.

While you might have enough room on the card, most dealers cap the amount they will let put on the card at between $2,000 and $5,000. Some of them will make up a story about laws or regulations, but the simple truth is dealers don't like forking over 2.9% of the purchase price of a car to Visa or MasterCard.

I bought a used car on my card once... but it was a $750 beater. (And no, the dealer didn't like it.)

On a base, entry level car, the credit card fees could wipe out their profit.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
    Despite what the article implies, it's actually hard to find a dealer that will let you buy the Mirage (or any new car) with a credit card...I tried.

While you might have enough room on the card, most dealers cap the amount they will let put on the card at between $2,000 and $5,000. Some of them will make up a story about laws or regulations, but the simple truth is dealers don't like forking over 2.9% of the purchase price of a car to Visa or MasterCard.
    A lot of times when a dealer goes over 2000, the 2.9% jumps way up

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post

That is because as with most every company, they contract with Visa/Mastercard, etc. and are charged more the more they authorize per sell.
    The more you "ring up" the more it costs them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 36.2 mpg (US) ... 15.4 km/L ... 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.5 mpg (Imp)