Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for a new vehicle

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Get a Delica, they have more seats and more room for activities. You'd be the coolest guy you know!
    I would love to. Trust me, I even looked on that Japanese site. But, it's all a pipe dream until I win a lottery

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.9 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Whatever you do don't get a Subaru. I heard those flat engines are prone to failure. I know someone who had theirs replaced and even the replacement was problematic.
    My dad keeps buying Foresters, then gives them to my wife. The 2013 did have an issue, but it was fixed under warranty. Dad still has the 2018, and it's been fine. I really love how well it handles, for such a tall seating position. It's that flat engine, with low centre of gravity

I would not mind another forester, but they are pricey, and no longer have manual transmissions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.9 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Jeep hasn't been the same since Fiat took over.

I wouldn't recommend anyone that has gone full blown CVT, & that includes Subaru!

Subaru's earlier 2.2 boxer engine was considered one of the best engines of all times by some mechanics, but I wouldn't buy their newer stuff. I would say the same about most companies these days.

I noticed someone doing a brand new Toyota Corolla oil change the other day, & the car uses 0W8 oil. They were going to use 0W16, because it was allowed in the owner's manual. 0W8 can be hard to find. I wonder if these new engines will last like the old ones? I have my doubts.
    Jeep is dead to me. Yes, it's cool. But I like reliable over cool. So jeep is dead to me.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    https://www.caranddriver.com/hyundai/santa-fe/specs

Still has dual Port injecting piggybacking on GDI and still has a true automatic transmission. 10-year 100K powertrain warranty.

https://www.caranddriver.com/hyundai/tucson-2024/specs

Cheaper. No turbo but otherwise similar.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

BigMW (02-10-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 963 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    https://www.caranddriver.com/hyundai/santa-fe/specs

Still has dual Port injecting piggybacking on GDI and still has a true automatic transmission. 10-year 100K powertrain warranty.

https://www.caranddriver.com/hyundai/tucson-2024/specs

Cheaper. No turbo but otherwise similar.
    Grumpy - I worked (in design) for Toyota for 5 years. Owned Toyotas before, bought a few while there, and bought a Lexus after. Then I worked at Hyundai-Kia (in design) for 7.5 years. I never bought a H-K vehicle, and I don't think I ever will. The tier 1 suppliers I worked with were a friggin joke (compared to Toyota Tier 1's). As for the warranty on the Santa Fe ... you're gonna need it, and then some (if you were to buy one). It doesn't matter a whole lot what JD Powers or Car & Driver say. They're bought.

Why didn't you guys warn me about the Subarus? A close buddy of mine just bought one. Some friggin wagon thing, AWD, turbo 4-cylinder. He likes it so far. Traded in an F150 that was crapping out on him.
    Last edited by 7milesout; 02-12-2024 at 01:33 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

The 10 year kia/hyundai warranty doesn't apply in Canada, that's a US thing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    But ole Grumpy is in Illi-no-eeze.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (02-12-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Grumpy - I worked (in design) for Toyota for 5 years. Owned Toyotas before, bought a few while there, and bought a Lexus after. Then I worked at Hyundai-Kia (in design) for 7.5 years. I never bought a H-K vehicle, and I don't think I ever will. The tier 1 suppliers I worked with were a friggin joke (compared to Toyota Tier 1's). As for the warranty on the Santa Fe ... you're gonna need it, and then some (if you were to buy one). It doesn't matter a whole lot what JD Powers or Car & Driver say. They're bought.

Why didn't you guys warn me about the Subarus? A close buddy of mine just bought one. Some friggin wagon thing, AWD, turbo 4-cylinder. He likes it so far. Traded in an F150 that was crapping out on him.
    YIKES!!

We've owned one new Toyota. Came with one rear wheel bearing that hadn't seal or grease in it. Rings that gave up by 90K and a body that rusted out in 5 years.

Owned three new Honda's. Each successively worse that the previous. Now have a fleet of 4 GM's. Two cherries and two stink-bombs.

One new Ford. Rotted through in under 6 months. After dealer rustproofing before it left the shop.

They are all going down the tubes. So...the choice I provided was what we will likely buy next as the family car. The least complicated and as a result stands the chance of being the most reliable of the overly complicated unreliable choices out there. That a mortal can afford.

Mirage this spring is my 'toy'.

Yea, I don't know what's going on with the Subaru. Have a friend that drives them and is a mechanic for them. Even he is getting turned off. We looked at this year's model lineup. Nothing but CVT's for everything but the BZR and one WRX. Thinned the blocks and liners on the motors. He tells me the trick to keeping head gaskets in them is a full coolant service every 50K miles.

Anyway. They were just suggestions.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

BigMW (02-12-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's the one thing about the Mirage I don't like, and you may have to get used to. Nobody likes or appreciates my Blueberry but me. However, that (and 3 pedals) may prevent theft.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-12-2024),Grumpy Bear (02-12-2024),inuvik (02-12-2024),Mark (02-12-2024)