Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Lubrication

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 724 Posts
    I understand what you are saying. On these cars with effective heat exchanging, designed to keep the oil at moderate temperatures, I can expect the oil to last longer than in most others. I had cars that easily reached 150C oil temp on the highway, no comparison to this car. I've owned maybe some 50+ cars over the years. At some time I worked in TV outside-broadcasting and travelled by private vehicle about 60000 to 80000km / year. The cars were old and rusty, fixed and driven as long as possible, usually no more than a few months until repair was not worth it or not possible.

Here in central Europe it regularly used to be somewhere between the extremes of -15C and +30C, but in recent years with the climate change it has been between -5C and +45C. With a 0Wxx or 5Wxx oil at those temperatures there is practically no danger of oil reaching pour point. I buy a PAO + ester oil conform with Porsche C30, ACEA C3 and VW50700. I don't use the car for short distances but rather take the bicycle. The oil gets changed every 9000km at the latest. I think that should be safe.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (07-04-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This sounds interesting. It reminds me of something used for coffee roasting, as it is very much done by color.

Would you provide some examples of a color comparator? Product links would be helpful too. Something like this can be a cost-effective item in a toolbox.
    Name:  fig3_oil_color-1024x659-3783476910.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  49.3 KB

Name:  th-2201058414.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  18.0 KB

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-02-2024),Mark (07-03-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This sounds interesting. It reminds me of something used for coffee roasting, as it is very much done by color.

Would you provide some examples of a color comparator? Product links would be helpful too. Something like this can be a cost-effective item in a toolbox.
    Before the world got fancy and full of itself color, smell and feel were the LAB the famers used.

There are more precise ways to do this, but this IS workable.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

foama (07-02-2024)