Thread: Some people complain about the "bland" styling of the Mirage, but...

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Some people complain about the "bland" styling of the Mirage, but...

...I think that, in the end, it's a better "investment" in that respect than cars like the Chevrolet Spark. Let me clear up, the Spark has very attractive styling, but it's far too rooted in current trends. Five to ten years from now, the Spark will look woefully outdated while the Mirage will still look good, sober, honest and efficient.

What do you think?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The appearance of this particular car is very dependent upon the color.

The more traditional colors do look bland. The red, green and purple colors make the car look like a totally different vehicle.

I agree with both of you. The problem with the "trendy" argument is people generally like to follow trends! It's an emotional thing. Buying a car because it has "conservative" styling that won't look out-dated in 10 years is a logical decision.

I bet it's harder to sell cars on logic than on emotion.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    VW got a lot of criticism on the "bland" styling of the US version of the Passat.

It looked very conservative when compared with the Sonata at the time.

Camry also gets criticized for being too bland, but it doesn't seem to have hurt sales any.

I find the Mirage to have a bit of a retro front end look - not too different than the Fiats. The back end is more contemporary.

As I stated previously, I really like the look in certain colors, while others don't rock my boat as much.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aydu View Post
    Camry also gets criticized for being too bland, but it doesn't seem to have hurt sales any.
    The same can be said of the corolla. They sell because they last forever and because they are what they are: workhorses/daily drivers.

FWIW, the Mirage is true to itself too: cheap, brand new transportation with lots of perks.

I was stupid enough to purchase a brand new 2010 Kia Rio for the 3k less than the Mirage. But the Mirage has:
    AC
    PS
    PBS
    bluetooth
    power windows
    power locks
    cruise control
    leather steering
    leather shift knob

Is it worth the extra 3-4 k? **** yes. Hell, even if I got the DE, which was maybe 2k more than the rio, it would have been worth it.

However, I had bigger plans (at the time) for the rio. After next year, it would have been payed off. I would have stripped it naked and raced the **** out of it. Not having AC and PS would have given it a tad advantage in the same class.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    The same can be said of the corolla. They sell because they last forever and because they are what they are: workhorses/daily drivers.

FWIW, the Mirage is true to itself too: cheap, brand new transportation with lots of perks.

I was stupid enough to purchase a brand new 2010 Kia Rio for the 3k less than the Mirage. But the Mirage has:
    AC
    PS
    PBS
    bluetooth
    power windows
    power locks
    cruise control
    leather steering
    leather shift knob

Is it worth the extra 3-4 k? **** yes. Hell, even if I got the DE, which was maybe 2k more than the rio, it would have been worth it.

However, I had bigger plans (at the time) for the rio. After next year, it would have been payed off. I would have stripped it naked and raced the **** out of it. Not having AC and PS would have given it a tad advantage in the same class.
    Over here, the top spec mirage only weights in at 846kg. That is extremely light. The mirage before ours stripped out can only hit 850. So if you got the base new mirage, you are potentially looking at a 750 or less kg car.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Nothin' wrong with the exterior . Easy to identify on the road .