Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Original batteries

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    idaho
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    2018 replaced my battery at around 30k in early 2024 just based on age and our extreme temps in winter and summer



  2. #12
    I don't know if there's any stock batteries left in the fleet from any 2015 or 2017's? I'll have to pay attention. What temps are considered extreme in Idaho?

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)


  3. #13
    Senior Member Wallythacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Niagara region
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    2,629
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked 583 Times in 469 Posts
    Doesn't Idaho see swings like 95F in the summer to -35F in the coldest areas during winter?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

    Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)


  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    USA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    472
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    177
    Thanked 104 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Doesn't Idaho see swings like 95F in the summer to -35F in the coldest areas during winter?
    Replaced my 2015 (build date Sept 2014) battery in spring 2021. Car now has 137k, I think it had a little over 100k on it at that time. Bought a Walmart Value Power, which was about $50.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    SW, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    7,571
    Thanks
    617
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 2,167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    Replaced my 2015 (build date Sept 2014) battery in spring 2021. Car now has 137k, I think it had a little over 100k on it at that time. Bought a Walmart Value Power, which was about $50.
    Inflation - Walmart Everstart Value Power Group 35 is $69.74 in my area today, but that is still a very good price compared to anything else.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    USA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    472
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    177
    Thanked 104 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Inflation - Walmart Everstart Value Power Group 35 is $69.74 in my area today, but that is still a very good price compared to anything else.
    Yes it is. I just bought a group 65 for my 99 Ford F150, $69. I have had no trouble out of the Value Power batteries, so far anyway.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Country is Europe, state is Germany
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    1,797
    Thanks
    250
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 719 Posts
    Since our cars have a very mild sort of regenerative power function, the charging voltage is kept a bit on the low side. Because of that, the plus-plates may become phosphated a little early.

    With that in mind, before you buy a new battery, it may very well be worth it to use the "rejuvenate" function of a modern charger. That should clear off a good part of the phosphate which will restore most of the capacity.
    I recently tried that with my old replaced OEM Hitachi battery, and it is now almost like new. Could have saved buying a new one.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

    7milesout (06-21-2024)

  9. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Atlanta Metro
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3,939
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 1,133 Posts
    I got about 4 or 5 auto battery chargers. Mostly just from over time, and 2 or 3 just because it was something like, "buy this battery, get a choice of battery chargers." And I like'em so I did that deal a time or 2. Another was just given to me with my current murdersickle. Anywho - I have yet to see one with a rejuvenate function. Sounds like a good feature. Maybe it's not a thing, in the U.S....

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)


  10. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Country is Europe, state is Germany
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    1,797
    Thanks
    250
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 719 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I got about 4 or 5 auto battery chargers. Mostly just from over time, and 2 or 3 just because it was something like, "buy this battery, get a choice of battery chargers." And I like'em so I did that deal a time or 2. Another was just given to me with my current murdersickle. Anywho - I have yet to see one with a rejuvenate function. Sounds like a good feature. Maybe it's not a thing, in the U.S....
    The rejuvenate function is usually standard on modern solid state charges. That function applies a higher charging voltage, usually about 16V to the battery for at least a few hours. Today's lead-calcium alloy batteries need a higher charging voltage than the phased-out lead-antimony batteries. Charging with "rejuvenate" makes the battery acid fizz like sparkling water, and the fizzing bubbles remove some of the phosphate from the plus plates. That makes the battery perform better.

    Generally speeking, batteries should be charged in a well ventilated place, because the gas produced is a mix of hydrogen plus oxygen, being highly explosive.

  11. #20
    Senior Member sunbeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2023
    Location
    Maritimes
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    206
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 55 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Since our cars have a very mild sort of regenerative power function, the charging voltage is kept a bit on the low side. Because of that, the plus-plates may become phosphated a little early.

    With that in mind, before you buy a new battery, it may very well be worth it to use the "rejuvenate" function of a modern charger. That should clear off a good part of the phosphate which will restore most of the capacity.
    I recently tried that with my old replaced OEM Hitachi battery, and it is now almost like new. Could have saved buying a new one.
    Have one hooked up permanently to the battery just for this.

    Still OEM batterY 2023 ES.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •