Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just asked Mitsu Canada for a Mirage to review... Update: it's a go!

Just asked Mitsu Canada for a Mirage to review... Update: it's a go!

Name:  facilities_canada.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  42.2 KB

I've been in touch with Mitsu Canada's public relations manager a bunch times since the Mirage was introduced here. Today, I asked if they'd loan me a car.

I mentioned I'd like to put together a few web/YouTube items, with a focus on fuel economy -- a counterpoint/alternative to some of the reviews we've seen.

The answer might depend on what their policies are in terms of loaner cars -- the biggest strike against me may be that I'm not a member of Canada's auto journalist's association, AJAC. (I once asked another manufacturer for a press fleet car, and that was their first question.) On the plus side, even though journalism isn't my job, I do have degree in communication. That may grease the skids a little.

We'll see! I'll keep you updated.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Awesome. I think folks will appreciate a real world review by someone other than people who rate cars for a living.

Did you request the 5 speed Base model?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

I didn't get that far yet! Ideally, I'd like to borrow both a 5-speed and a CVT.

Another issue is the length of the loan. Longer is better, because reviewing cars isn't my day job. So if it happens, I'm going to have to set aside some time. The typical one week loaner isn't ideal.

Also, I'd have to make up reasons to drive around! I work from home, and walk/bike for most of my local trips. My car often sits for a week or two without being used.

---

I already got a response back, one question: "where do you live?" That sounds promising.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Very nice of them: Mitsu offered a loaner Mirage for a week at the beginning of June, in conjuction with a customer "drive event" weekend (which I'm guessing they're using to gather footage for future commercials).

I asked if it was possible to extend beyond a week. I also floated the idea of taking the car in a fuel economy competition near Montreal on the following weekend (in which case I'll need the manual trans). I've participated twice in this rally (on public roads) in 2010 and 2012 and did pretty well. Could be good publicity for the car.

The sticky issue seems to be that I'm ~400 km away from the media fleet's home base.

Will keep you posted!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    pretty knuckleheaded of them not to have delivered you a car in person a long time ago

I agree.

But in their defense, they don't know me from Adam.

And they have to dole out their cars in a way that gets them the most bang for their buck (focus on media outlets with big audiences).

However now that we've seen how the biggest media outlets have covered the Mirage, maybe not the best strategy after all.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

The sticky issue seems to be that I'm ~400 km away from the media fleet's home base.

Will keep you posted!

Perhaps if you pitch the idea to them (I'm not sure how you are set financially, but if you can afford this) to have the car towed at your expense or perhaps pay for the fuel to drive it back and forth as well as any other necessary fill-ups then they'll feel a little more obliged to "grant you the favor."

The main concern with fleets is that they have to maintain coverage on the car, and any of its passengers, and there's a CRAPLOAD of waivers, forms, and liability paperwork that has to be signed when doing that sort of an "exchange" relating to what you are, and aren't responsible for. not knowing the party, and having no real "basis to trust them" is going to pry its way in front of their willingness to grant you receipt of the vehicle more than it should to be honest, and letting them know that even though it may "put you out" you're willing to "do them a favor" might sit good in their graces.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 36.2 mpg (US) ... 15.4 km/L ... 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.5 mpg (Imp)

Nah, it's no skin off my nose if I don't drive another Mirage anytime soon.

I'd like to do it because I think it'll be fun to put together a few useful review items & videos.

But Mitsu has the most to gain from positive exposure. If they think this may be to their benefit, they'll work something out. If they don't, well, c'est la vie and no big deal.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just keep going to diff mitsu dealers and test drive them an hour at a time :P

It's a go!

Ha -- I would have already done that if my little city had any Mitsu dealers. The closest one to me is 100 km / 60 mi. away though.

---

It's a go!

We came to a mutually agreeable arrangement: a 2-week loaner (5MT) at the beginning of June, which includes taking part in the Montreal fuel economy run. After 2 weeks, I'll drive it back to home base myself, and Mitsu nicely offered to cover my train fare home.

I'm really looking forward to this!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Minihaha (06-02-2014)