Thread: Beyond 3m?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Beyond 3m?

Name:  mirage.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  36.5 KB
    Is it beyond 3M's paint restoration system(hood, not bumper)? I'm not looking for "off the dealership lot" level... just not this. A marked improvement would be fine by me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    It looks to me like the clear coat is peeling off. If that is the case, the best way to deal with it is sanding it smooth and shooting a new coat of clear over it. A buff (3m's deal) isn't going to cut it.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Agreed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you for the feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    It looks to me like the clear coat is peeling off. If that is the case, the best way to deal with it is sanding it smooth and shooting a new coat of clear over it. A buff (3m's deal) isn't going to cut it.
    Since I have zero experience sanding... I would probably be best advised to forget it, then. I'd end up running through the paint and then have to repaint it. Something I also have no experience with. It would probably be a $300 project that takes thirty hours and ends up with my car looking even worse.

I suspected it was too far gone for me to fix, but I had hope when I came across a 3m video on youtube. It was different, but the car did look really bad. Much better afterwards.

Last edited by MagiBunny; 04-04-2014 at 07:32 PM.