Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fog Lights :

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Fog Lights :

do they stay on all the time ? Is there a switch for them ? Are they on with the headlights or can they be on alone ? Also, can they be used with the high beams ? Thanks

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cinder View Post
    do they stay on all the time ? Is there a switch for them ? Are they on with the headlights or can they be on alone ? Also, can they be used with the high beams ? Thanks
    Mine are on with Park lights onwards, so low beam and high beam. They cannot be on by themselves. They are on the headlight stalk, the inner switch is for fog/driving lights
    If I remember, in the US they are hooked up differently to over here.
    Maybe a US owner can be more help.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here in the US:
    the turn signal stock houses the outer spin knob for the parking and low beam lights. pull that whole stalk towards you and you get high beams. pull again to return to low beams. the fog lights are operated by a small twist knob further down the turnsignal stalk. you rotate it forward to turn the lights on, and rearward to turn the lights on. US law dictates that the fog lights cannot be on when the high beams are on, therefore they automatically switch off when you engage high beams and switch back on when you return to low beam.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.2 mpg (US) ... 18.8 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    To add to BigHerm's post:
    1. The fogs dont turn on automatically. I leave my lights on all the time, but will still need to switch the fogs on if I wanted to
    2. The fogs turn on only when headlights are on - not when park lights turn on.

FWIW, it would be awesome for the fogs to be able to turn on without the headlights.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    2. The fogs turn on only when headlights are on - not when park lights turn on.

FWIW, it would be awesome for the fogs to be able to turn on without the headlights.
    That's odd, I'm able to turn on the foglights independently of the headlights on mine.

On my old Mitsu, the foglights had a separate rocker switch on the dash. On my Mirage G4 today, the park lights need to be turned on first before the foglight ring could work.
    Don't knock drunk guys in bars; it means they're not driving. -- Richard Gere, Runaway Bride

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    In Europe we have way different rules. We have a combo foglight - DRL (day running lights). DRL turns on automatically when light switch are turned "off" or no other lights are on.
    The rules in europe/Nederland: When all other lights (city lights or head light (may it low or high beam)) are on, the DRL must be off.
    So when you switch on the city light, the DRL will switch off.
    Also: Fog lamp may not turn on when the lights are off (DRL on). So when DRL is out and you are on city light, you can turn on Fog lamp ....

Took me a while to figure out these complicated rules ....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

So you have four lights: DRL, city lights, headights, fog lights.

City lights aren't on cars here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    So you have four lights: DRL, city lights, headights, fog lights.

City lights aren't on cars here.
    True, we have those here. I say city lights, it's what it's called here in NL but I noticed some ppl in asia called them parking lights (someone changed theirs into green one, it's illegal to have other color than yellow-ish or white in NL).
    It's the first switch after auto and before the headlight switch. I'm sure you also have that one.
    What i'm not sure u have is the DRL but I think you have them as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Aha - I thought they were maybe a brighter than normal parking light. So you could drive in the city at night with lots of ambient light, but not use your blinding headlights?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Aha - I thought they were maybe a brighter than normal parking light. So you could drive in the city at night with lots of ambient light, but not use your blinding headlights?
    Uh ... it's made to drive in foggy daylight or when it's not too dark. You may turn on your headlights but it's unneccessary to drive in daylight with headlight on.
    Oh and another rule states when the sight is more than 50m ahead, it's illegal to turn on fog light.
    It's also quite weird because the DRL is counted as parking light and you are ALLOWED to have 4 parking lights turned on at once. But other rules says that when your other lights are turned on, the DRL must turn off.....