Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why you should take car reviews with a giant grain of salt

Talking Why you should take car reviews with a giant grain of salt

I've been reading a lot of reviews of the Mirage over the last few months.

Something funny happens when you go through a high volume of critiques about the same thing: you begin to notice quite a few conflicting observations from the professional auto reviewers.

It all starts to add up to something nearly hilarious:

(And it drives home the point that we should really just make up our own minds.)

On the interior ...
    Grumpy:
    slip inside and it's all a bit … well, downmarket. Interior plastics, the carpets and the seat cloth are all of austere quality - source
    Happy:
    the materials used inside the new Mirage don't look low rent in any way ... quality cabin finish - source

On the 1.2 L engine ...
    Grumpy:
    it’s in noise and vibration where the Mirage’s powertrain loses big marks. This is a coarse powerplant ... the din it creates - source
    Happy:
    The engine is a highlight – it sounds brilliant ... charismatic ... has a wonderful snarl - source

On the manual transmission (5-speed) ...
    Grumpy:
    the manual’s notchy and imprecise shift action ... the clutch pedal’s vague friction point - source
    Happy:
    easy-to-use, slick-shifting five-speed manual with its light clutch pedal - source

On the automatic transmission (CVT) ...
    Grumpy:
    The CVT is not much better, with a general indecisiveness - source
    Happy:
    The planetary gears help provide brisk get-up-and-go... Its operation is seamless and looks to work well. - source

On the exterior styling...
    Grumpy:
    the styling is surprisingly subdued; embellishments are minimized and there's so little flashiness you have to wonder if designers were working to more than just an economy of scale. - source

Happy:
    New Mirage is a good looker from the outside. Contemporary lines avoid those silly extremes on some of the latest small hatches. - source

On handling ...
    Grumpy:
    any kind of hard cornering makes the tyres virtually roll onto their sidewalls - source

Happy:
    the Mirage impressed in some twisty terrain - source

On ride quality ...
    Grumpy:
    Being none too sophisticated, the suspension admits bumps ... - source
    Happy:
    It has a decent ride that copes with rough roads and gives a high level of comfort - source

There are lots more examples like these!

- One reviewer bemoans the lack of power, while another describes the car as lively & sprightly. One reviewer recommends the 1.0L over the 1.2L engine, while another claims the 1.0 was so slow as to be "scary" to drive...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

BigMW (11-13-2022),Canoehead (06-20-2013),Marklovski (02-28-2024)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Good one Metro looking forward to see what you find.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Yeah, I've noticed the same thing. One mans junk is another mans treasure!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I thought this was hilarious from this review: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mitsubishi/mirage

Pros:
    Low running costs
    decent space inside
    easy to manoeuvre

Cons:
    Tiny boot
    lacks refinement
    dull interior design

Its as if the reviewer doesn't realize you CAN actually carry cargo in the passenger area...

The rest of the review isn't so bad though.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Updated the first post with some "opposite" quotes. Will keep adding as I find more "he said she said" examples.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Well, I do agree that the manual is "notchy and imprecise"... and there is a little too much body roll, which I am starting to get to. It makes the vehicle feel taller than it actually is.

But yeah, I found a real mix of reviews when I was researching my Mirage and still got one!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage LS (Australia) 1.2 automatic: 34.8 mpg (US) ... 14.8 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.8 mpg (Imp)

I wonder what percentage of people even read reviews before making a purchase. That would be an interesting stat to know.

Added a few more quotes. The contradictory fun continues!

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AntInOz View Post
    Well, I do agree that the manual is "notchy and imprecise"... and there is a little too much body roll, which I am starting to get to. It makes the vehicle feel taller than it actually is.

But yeah, I found a real mix of reviews when I was researching my Mirage and still got one!
    the vehivcle for me a bit tall but once install good suspension. u will start to love it

Country
    Thailand
    Thanks
    I've looked at the UK test review of the Mirage and they really give it a bad press. They also say the Ford Fiesta is the best mini car around. Now before i bought my Attrage i hired a Fiesta for a week and drove it for 1,000 Kms. Now it's a good car sure but no better really than my Attrage (and much more expensive). I think they need real people to do these reviews not prima donnas.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to chris2004 For This Useful Post:

beerbelly58 (09-23-2014)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Though I just arrived officially on this forum yesterday, I agree with your assessment here. While not pertinent to the Mirage - and I don't know if any of you are motorcyclists - there's a great Canadian moto and product review/commentary YouTube channel called FortNine. The host, Ryan, had a great commentary on motorcycle reviews, and reviewers, in a recent video. In it he summarized how many of them pander to the same old points, much of which is directly due to sponsorships or "encouragement" from manufacturers. They're often given expense-paid trips to places around the world to review new bikes (or cars, in the case of car reviewers and publications), so even if there's no specific verbiage to keep the reviews positive, it's very often implied... and this makes most reviews worthless in a manner of speaking.

While this is a counterpoint to the largely negative reviews of the Mirage in particular, some of the same effect is present. People/organizations jumping on all the same bandwagons, using specific sets or subsets of comparisons by which to measure a car's rating in the end. Or, in the case of YouTube in particular, amateur reviewers often just play the "cool kid" card - striving for views, and to capitalize on monetization and clickbait - spouting out all the same old rhetoric.

Anyway. This is a fun watch, the guy's got great style and doesn't pull any punches. It came to mind, since there's so much bias about the Mirage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgGU3GYx9Qg

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Siper2 For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (01-11-2018),BigMW (11-13-2022),Cobrajet (01-11-2018),craigq (08-18-2018),Eggman (01-11-2018),Marklovski (02-28-2024)