Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Taking a road trip (in a rental Mirage)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Did you max out the spring on full load? I had 5 ppl in the car, no luggage, at 90 km/h drove over a bridge on highway and the spring maxed out and really bump the whole car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I noticed a light whistle on really humid/foggy mornings. My guess is it's the antenna moving through the water vapor. Only happened a couple times.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    Did you max out the spring on full load? I had 5 ppl in the car, no luggage, at 90 km/h drove over a bridge on highway and the spring maxed out and really bump the whole car
    I have done this with as little as 3 adults averaging 180lbs each.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    The Mazda 121, actually (can't believe you thought it was a Festiva! Totally different! )
    Wow - I've heard of the mythical creature, but have never actually seen one. Until now. (Or maybe I've seen dozens, but assumed they were all Festivas! )

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Wow - I've heard of the mythical creature, but have never actually seen one. Until now. (Or maybe I've seen dozens, but assumed they were all Festivas! )
    I too, assumed it was a Festiva, but this one actually had a Mazda badge. I even wondered for a moment if someone had just added it, then I remembered that they were the same.

As for maxing out the load - I did not notice any suspension bottoming-out. The bumps and potholes we encountered were no different loaded or with just the single driver. I wouldn't call the suspension luxuriously soft or anything, but it handled our weight just fine. As for the luggage . . . well . . . we both carry a fair bit in our "better than six-pack" abs (large kegs).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    What's the max for total weight ? Is that not posted on the pillar with recommended tire pressure ?

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cinder View Post
    What's the max for total weight ? Is that not posted on the pillar with recommended tire pressure ?
    I've no idea but apparently it did not handle weight well, when I loaded with 4 adults the suspension will hit its max and bump the car on uneven road when driving at 100 km/h, there's not even potholes or holes on the road. Moreover I grind my bumpers trying to get over the speed bumps at 3 km/h!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    I too, assumed it was a Festiva, but this one actually had a Mazda badge. I even wondered for a moment if someone had just added it, then I remembered that they were the same.

As for maxing out the load - I did not notice any suspension bottoming-out. The bumps and potholes we encountered were no different loaded or with just the single driver. I wouldn't call the suspension luxuriously soft or anything, but it handled our weight just fine. As for the luggage . . . well . . . we both carry a fair bit in our "better than six-pack" abs (large kegs).
    Uh ... they changed the suspension maybe?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    I've no idea but apparently it did not handle weight well, when I loaded with 4 adults the suspension will hit its max and bump the car on uneven road when driving at 100 km/h, there's not even potholes or holes on the road.
    This is about right.