Thread: INVECS-III CVT microchip?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

INVECS-III CVT microchip?

The quote below, from quality Mitsubishi, seems to suggest that the CVT will learn/adapt to the driver's style. Does anyone know how long that effect lasts? For instance, if I hypermile all weekend, and then want to get the lead out on Monday morning, will the car be sluggish? Conversely, will it be difficult to hypermile after lending the car to a teenager or even a "regular" assertive driver? Or are they simply saying that if you stomp on the pedal the CVT will use lower gearing, while a gentle touch will spool it up?

"The automatic CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission), unlike traditional transmissions, has an infinite series of gears. The Mitsubishi CVT uses a microchip called the INVECS-III that monitors the driving style of the driver and caters the shift points of the CVT to his/her driving style. An aggressive driver–for instance, someone fleeing from an immediate zombie threat–will find that the CVT uses more of the low-end band of the CVT for more front end torque…or more ‘oomph’."

(http://qualitymitsubishi303.wordpres...utoguide-wont/)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

This is a good question, and last time I looked, there wasn't a lot of good info to be found.

This is one of those questions we should be able to pass along to Mitsu to get an "official" answer. I'm going to work on that...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    By driving a car equipped with CVT I can surely say that the Invecs-III adapts fast to your driving behavior.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    My manual always adapts to my needs .... all the time ... without failing ..... uhm .... yeah .... right ....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ford had something similar with the mustangs. Mustang enthusiasts who drove both auto and manual transmissions (although more noticeable on the auto) noticed that gear shifts AND throttle response changed depending on the driver.

In the Fords: the computer would record and rewrite codes from the last trip during the start of the current trip and implement what it "learned" from the last trip on the current trip.

Examples:
    I drove like hell last night, pedal to the metal, redlining etc. When I turn the car on this morning, the car would hesitate to shift at low RPMs.

Likewise, if this morning I drove like a grandma, only using 10% throttle, forcing the car to shift gears at 1.5-2k rpms. When I drive again later tonight, it will probably shift at low RPMs.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    From my 3500 km in this car I can say the trans learns fast. After a commute to the city the car is a bit sluggish and will shift up far too soon from a stop light. As low as 1000 rpm. To retrain for the city I just use a morre aggressive throttle application for a couple of lights and the upshift adjusts. Of course when starting commute back home the trans will rev as high as 3000 rpm getting to/at cruise until I back well off the pedal for a sec and wait for the downshift (or set cruise cont.) then trans reverts to highway manners.

Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (04-12-2014),MetroMPG (04-12-2014)