Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Girlfriend's 2014 Mirage SE Convenience $18700 (Canada)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Girlfriend's 2014 Mirage SE Convenience $18700 (Canada)

Hi guys,

Let me start by saying that my girlfriend is in the market for a new car and we've looked at the mirage and we're pleasantly amused by this vehicle. To honest, she was attracted to the car due to the price tag at $12,998 CAD.

Well she refuses to have a car without AC and that bumps us up to the SE ($3000 MSRP more).

The MSRP on an SE w/ convenience package 5 speed (nothing sexier than a woman driving stick) is 19,700. The dealer offered 19,400 but accepted an offer of 18,700 + a free trip to Las Vegas and a free TV (current promotion).

I'm starting to wonder whether or not this is a good deal for this car.

She's driving a Chrysler Intrepid (absolute POS) and switching to something like this with the great gas mileage.

I'm concerned about the whopping 77 HP this thing puts out but she tells me it pulls well enough.

Aside from the gas mileage, I love the 10 year powertrain warranty... providing Mitsu survives in the NA market.

So all in all, is 18,700 (taxes + fees included) a fair price? I'm extremely hesitant since the Yaris is only $200 MSRP more than the mirage with same features roughly.

All opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Hi staax -

Quote Originally Posted by staax View Post
    we're pleasantly amused by this vehicle
    Hilarious evaluation! Love it.

she was attracted to the car due to the price tag at $12,998 CAD.
    I thought it started at 12,498 here. Minor point...

Well she refuses to have a car without AC and that bumps us up to the SE ($3000 MSRP more).
    Yeah, that bugs me about the way they package entry level cars. They ALL play the "OH! You want AIR?? Well..." pricing trick. Spark, Mirage, Versa, etc., all do it.

The MSRP on an SE w/ convenience package 5 speed (nothing sexier than a woman driving stick) is 19,700. The dealer offered 19,400 but accepted an offer of 18,700 + a free trip to Las Vegas and a free TV (current promotion).
    If it were me, I'd say: skip the convenience package. Also, start by taking another $750-$1k off instead of the trip & TV.

I'm concerned about the whopping 77 HP this thing puts out but she tells me it pulls well enough.
    77 HP! In your dreams, buddy. It's 74 HP. And, yes, it pulls fine unless you're a race car driver. Or driving fully loaded through the mountains every day. (I drive a ~50 hp car that weighs about the same as a Mirage. It's fine.)

So all in all, is 18,700 (taxes + fees included) a fair price?
    Do you live in Toronto? If you don't, I'd say just buy the base car in her favourite colour, get a set of wooden bead seat covers for the 3 weeks a year we actually get HOT weather, and call it a day!

EDIT: sorry, that's probably not very helpful!

I'm sure some others will chime in. Some members here have gotten some good deals.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Also: did you see this thread?

Thread: How much did you pay for your Mirage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site Staax!

I'd recommend looking over what others have paid for their Mirages here:

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...or-your-Mirage
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks for the corrects - you're right.

TBH I haven't driven this car yet, I just went with her to discuss pricing after work one day and let me say these guys we're not willing to budge on the price. I could care less for the trip + TV but they won't move on that. Claim that switching that for a lower price is costing them money.

All cars I've owned have all had AC and I never use it. We're from Ottawa btw.

Skipping out on the convenience package means giving up cruise control (which is 1 feature I can't live without) for only $500. I haven't found any solid evidence that cruise can be added later.

Still hesitant. I'm going with her Wednesday to iron out a few more things.. just looking for insight and opinions.

Thanks again.

Yeah, we need to solve that cruise issue: we're pretty sure it can be added after the fact with the right buttons, but nobody's done it to this car yet. Like you, I'd rather have cruise than air, but I can live without either.

Ottawa, huh? I went through on my way to Camp Fortune for the day today.

Ask them if the trip is transferrable. Sell it plus the TV as a package on Craigslist.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I'm the solid evidence that cruise control CAN be added later, if you don't mind third party. Europe don't even have the option of cruise control or steering wheel audio control. NONE!!! I can't live without it since my daily commute cruise is 125 KM and 3 times a week sport at adding 90 KM per sport day.
    I have John Gold installed and been working flawlessly. it's great. It does cost me 600 euro though .... ($903 canadian dollar).

It's really not a bad deal though .... I've paid about the same with less options.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to m4v3r1ck For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-08-2014)

Yup - aftermarket cruise is an option. I installed it on one of my own cars once.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Appreciate all the responses.

I've installed pwr locks on a corolla before, but that was a PITA. I know most cars are prewired for cruise especially modern ones that use the drive wire system.

Tried convincing her to look into the ES but she feels if she's going to spend money on a new car she wants AC and all the accessories.

Just a little hesitant especially because I know nothing of 3 cyls.

Hope this think is reliable, looks like you may be form sure getting another member if she doesn't get cold feet.

There's nothing about a 3 that should make you worry. Their main differences boil down to: (a) they're more efficient, and (b) they vibrate more at idle than fours (normal aspect of their design). And (c) they make a really cool sound under load!

They're no less reliable. Mitsu is ahead of the curve: we'll be seeing more and more threes in the near future with fuel economy gaining in importance. Ford and BMW (Mini) are introducing them as well. More companies will follow.

My last (Honda Insight) & current car (Pontiac Firefly) were/are triples.