Thread: Test drive/review: 2014 Mirage CVT ES (Canada)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Observations

Admin note: test drive notes from a rented 2014 Mirage SE (top spec) CVT on a "bakery tour" in and around Winnipeg...

---

The Car:

Perfectly acceptable - I found the stability to be just fine, the steering to track arrow straight, and the effect of wind/passing trucks buffeting the car to be negligible. There is a bit of fore/aft bounciness when going over big bumps (it is spring, and our highways have suffered a lot of frost damage over the winter). For fun, I did a bit of weaving back and forth prompting my passenger to say "quit it - you're going to tip us", but there was no danger of that. It is a bit wobbly, though, if goofing around like that.

Noise is there - a bit louder on all counts - wind, mechanical, road noise. Not an issue for me, and not obtrusive. At one point there was a bit of a low whistle - again it was faint and not a problem. It seemed to be coming from the front A-pillar area.

Efficiency

I managed 4.9 calculated, 5.1 on the ScanGauge and 5.0 on the iMid. Take all of these with a grain of salt. Strangely, when the fuel gauge suggested I was over 3/4 full, I still was able to put in 16L! I stopped there, thinking it might be overflowing through some sort of vent. On the return, I put in the same - maybe the fuel gauges is wrong, or the filler hose is big - anyway it was inexact measurement. Likewise I couldn't re-set the scan gauge and the iMid at the same time/after each stop. Temperature was -6C to start with little wind - and +6C at the end with perhaps a 20km/h wind. Route was from Winnipeg-St Claude-Treherne-Gladstone-Portage-Winnipeg. Few hills of note, but the one we climbed with cruise went fine.

CVT

Works well. I warmed up to it and actually appreciated it in traffic. I am not used to any auto, though, so I really couldn't comment. That braking thing I mentioned is apparently just an auto trait.

Comfort

We were over 4 hours in the seats with few breaks. My passenger and I probably approached 500lbs total. No issues with leg, shoulder, or head room, no complaints about the seating surface comfort. Lumbar support was very nice. Another passenger didn't like how the headrest made the head tilt forward, so we flipped it around - problem solved.

Bakeries:

Chasing cinnamon buns is a red herring - these bakeries have much more to offer, including apple strudels, lemon danish, bread/buns, and best of all - pies. Gladstone bakery was the best of the bunch, and the busiest.

Worth the trip.

Attached Images Attached Images    

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Great driving review, Canoehead! Your review really makes the small car look like it would not be a bad driving car, and with a stick shift indeed all the more fun. Thanks!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yes. I was well pleased overall. I drive a car that is 11 years old, but also occasionally a 2012 Civic belonging to my Dad. Both of those "C-class" cars handle a bit better, which I attribute to the longer wheelbase, but the difference is marginal. My Dad as a passenger didn't notice the difference at all between the Mirage and his Civic. I am still on the fence between the Mirage and the new 2015 Honda Fit, but this test drive certainly solidified the Mirage's place as a contender. Now the decision isn't about whether I need the better handling of the Honda, but only whether I am willing pay more for a bit of extra cargo capacity and the Honda reputation (I calculate that the Fit will cost about $5000-$6000 more over ten years in purchase price + extra fuel used).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think Mitsubishi has a good reputation. Iv had no problems with any one iv owned!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grsupercity View Post
    I think Mitsubishi has a good reputation. Iv had no problems with any one iv owned!
    I agree that Mitsubishi is a quality car company - however, it seems Honda and Toyota are always jockeying for the #1 spot quality-wise, while Mitsubishi, Mazda, Nissan, Ford, Hyundai and others tend to be mid-pack. I also have greater faith in my local Honda dealer (family has had good service vs the unknown Mitsubishi dealer), and am certain Honda will be in the North American market for the foreseeable future (though I don't really believe the rumours about Mitsubishi pulling out).

The "reliability" issue might be skewed, mind you, if we are comparing Accord drivers to EVO drivers!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, Mitsubishi has a great reputation with me, I know that. Our '08 Lancer GTS has performed flawlessly and the motor sounds and operates now at 122,513 miles on it just like it did back on March 21, 2007, when we purchased the car. $22,400 loaded Lancer GTS from Avondale Mitsubishi of Avondale, AZ (about 9 miles west of Phoenix). The car was worth every penny and then some! Luv this new Mirage, too. Like the sedan but I dig the hatchback more. I am looking (from a long distance) at the under-construction 2015 Mazda 2 but I'm probably just gonna run the Lancer GTS as long as I can 'cause it's such a great compact car.