Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First tank = 402 mi = 50 MPG

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cinder View Post
    Are you referring to the O.P. ?
    Yes I'm referring to the original post..
    I practice pretty good driving habits and I can't match that mileage.
    I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.

Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

I doubt you're doing anything wrong. The CVT is capable of returning about 50 mpg US at 100 km/h, a number that only applies in "ideal" conditions: a fully warmed up car, on a level road, in warm ambient temperatures, with no strong winds. It also doesn't include the inevitable worse fuel economy from non-highway driving at the beginning and end of the trip, or the period of lower fuel economy while the car is warming up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Crane, I'm sorry to hear about ur current mpg return, however, my driving is pretty much summarized in the 3rd post of this thread but keep in mind based on the above correct info provided by metro that the temp is quite a bit warmer here in Southern California which contributes to higher mpg. Another thing to note is that my current work schedule is not during peak traffic hrs which helps as well, although I'm definitely not traffic-free, lol. When I test-drove the cvt, I recall the rpm gauge moving quite a bit between the 2k-4k range when driving on the freeway ~65mph. With mine, the rpm's stay slightly above 3k when driving on the freeway.

mike - what distance is your typical commute?

That has an impact as well. The longer at cruising speed, the better the fuel economy compared to shorter trips.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    metro, my typical commute is ~25mi 1-way = ~50mi round trip but of course I occasionally have the ~1-2mi trip to the store, mall, etc.

Crane, my hope is that your mpg will improve the more you drive it. How do you like the cvt?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My daily average commute is 46 km one way.
    my driveway exits onto the highway with 16 km run @ 80kmph to a stop/turn into 50 kmph zone (2 km) then 21 km @ 100 kmph to rolling right turn, 1km @ 60kmph to rolling left turn, 5km @ 70kmph ending with 1km city. Then the reverse going home.
    Maybe not ideal conditions for top mileage I'm thinking.
    It may be relevant to note that I have not driven in temps above 9° C either.
    As for the CVT I like it, though it is far from seamless as a true CVT. There are a couple of "shift outs" where it changes ratios/ranges while accelerating but with a slight lift of accellerator it shifts to high where rpm drops as low as 1900 @ 100km/hr. Once in high range adjustments are almost imperceptible unless you watch the tach. to see rpm climb/drop as terrain changes.
    For most of my driving I strive to keep rpm @ 2000 or less by adjusting my right foot.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Maybe not ideal conditions for top mileage I'm thinking.
    In fact, that sounds not bad as far as a fuel-friendly route goes. Are you still using the block heater? (I would actually use it 3-seasons for best economy.)

You'll be seeing better mileage as the weather warms. (I did note that T.B. area was forecast for another dump of snow this weekend, and only 0 degrees C this morning.)

Oh, and how's your tire pressure?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    This is the 2nd tank for the '13 FIT w/ 5 speed auto . Doubt it'll stay . Rainy , windy , colder days and nights on the way . Where are the pics of the MIRAGE tanks of gas milege ?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Are pics the only acceptable method? There are hundreds of Mirage fill-up results in the fuel log.

Maybe not as fun as photos, but more comprehensive! There's over 100,000 miles / 160k km worth of data as of this week.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Sorry , not trying to stir the pot . Pictures can tell a better story for those that may consider a MIRAGE .