Thread: New Mirage SE with CVT trans.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

New Mirage SE with CVT trans.

I bought my Mirage on Feb 28, 2014 and have now just under 3600km on it.
    In Can. the SE is the top model to which I added CVT and the convenience package for a total of $18,540.00

For a car with "econobox" status it seems to be made well as far as fit and finish, and comes with amenities that exceed it's price tag.

Interior and options:

Pros.

- Steering wheel mounted controls
    - leather wrapped wheel + shift knob
    - adjustable driver's seat
    - heated seats
    - basic attractive interior
    - power everything
    - auto climate control
    - no rattles/squeeks
    - alloy wheels

Cons.

- The settings for avg fuel economy(trip) vs total avg econ and the auto air cond. vs manual on/off reset to default when ignition is turned off requiring me to reset them each time I get in the car.
    - The seat heater switches are a bit of a reach
    - no cargo light
    - back seats don't fold down far enough
    - cheap plastic sun visors
    - 14" wheels

Driving:

Overall a good experience with a quiet ride on good rds, minimal wind noise, minimal engine noise. Car responds well to accelerator input and will get up and pass anytime I ask. Steering was very stiff and devoid of feedback when new but seems a little less so now. After 3500km the eng. oil is still clean and no interior rattles have developed. I am getting a good feel for the fuel econ. now as I track this with "my cars" app and onboard displays.

I have achieved as high as 4.5L/100km on one commute and as low as a still respectable 6.2L/100km in heavy winds and snow covered highways during a storm. I expect economy to rise with the warmer temps of slowly approaching summer.

To be noted as well, the car handles snow covered roads with suprising ability.

The adjustable roof antenna does howl when raised above a parallel plane with windshield but reception is in no way diminished with it down low.

There has developed a clunk in the suspension noted when the driver's front tire meets a pothole or crack that is distinctly different than when the other tires hit. The noise emulates that of a worn strut or top bearing so I will get that checked out.

My over all opinion of the car at this point is that I got a lot for my money, the stated fuel economy is achievable, and it's suprisingly fun to drive.

Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-16-2014)

Thanks for posting this, Ichabod.

"the stated fuel economy is achievable" -- That's saying a lot, if you're going by the "old" 2-cycle NRCAN figures. (Closer to the optimistic EU ratings, or the pre-2008 EPA ratings.)

"back seats don't fold down far enough" -- Agreed. A flip/folding arrangement would be so much better.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Cons.

- The settings for avg fuel economy(trip) vs total avg econ and the auto air cond. vs manual on/off reset to default when ignition is turned off requiring me to reset them each time I get in the car.
    ---I was just recently found out (through someone here) that there are TWO avg fuel economy trip settings, just like there are two trip settings (A/B). I've changed it from A (resets after 4 hours of non use) and B (manual reset) once and will have to do it again to give you instructions.

- no cargo light
    ---My mirage comes with a cargo light. It's barely bright enough to see anything though.

- back seats don't fold down far enough
    ---Amen. How about easy remove seats for more cargo space?

- cheap plastic sun visors
    ---I've already had 3 passengers complain that the passenger visor does not have a mirror!

- 14" wheels
    ---Not a con IMO. I've seen 14 and even 13 inch wheels that look good with the mirage. Everyone trying to stick 15-16 inch wheels need to look at how good the mirage looks with proper 14 or 1

See replies above.